HI-MD Disk Question

Rate this topic

Sonicalflair

Hello all

Let me start off by saying I love minidiscs, especially the disks themselves. I have many beautiful looking 74-80 minute disks, but many bland looking Hi-Md disks.

Would I be able to open the casings and change the disks around so my Hi-MD disk is sitting in a pretty net-md case?

Thank you,

mlo

i have a standard md with screws holding it together from tdk. it would be easy to take apart and place a hi-md inside. i should try it!

Yeah I was wondering how the disc is held together afterwards... Superglue? I guess you'd have to be pretty conservative with the amount you use and very careful/

EDIT: I wonder if the opaque and translucent dark blue were chosen with Hi-MD for a reason... Perhaps light can affect the layers of the Hi-MD disc itself?

Edited by raintheory

Yeah I was wondering how the disc is held together afterwards... Superglue? I guess you'd have to be pretty conservative with the amount you use and very careful/

EDIT: I wonder if the opaque and translucent dark blue were chosen with Hi-MD for a reason... Perhaps light can affect the layers of the Hi-MD disc itself?

Remember the metal MD2000's that were out a few years back.. http://forums.minidisc.org/lofiversion/index.php/t11962.html ...I managed to buy 6 at the time when they came out at my local Sony shop for £5 (each). I have since transferred 5 of them into Hi-MD discs - the best bit being that the metal MD's have screws so it makes the whole process easy and and without the need for messy glue. Also, the metal shutters (with red Hi-MD print) from the 1st gen Hi-MD discs matches the colour of the metal discs perfectly.

One point of note though, once opened up I discovered these discs actually have plastic casings which appear to have been coated with "metal" / magnesium on the outside, so they really are plastic :shok:

(btw I have kept one sealed disc in its original packaging. They really are THE best MD's ever released, and I wish I had bought more at the time :sorry: ).

Remember the metal MD2000's that were out a few years back.. http://forums.minidisc.org/lofiversion/index.php/t11962.html ...I managed to buy 6 at the time when they came out at my local Sony shop for £5 (each). I have since transferred 5 of them into Hi-MD discs - the best bit being that the metal MD's have screws so it makes the whole process easy and and without the need for messy glue. Also, the metal shutters (with red Hi-MD print) from the 1st gen Hi-MD discs matches the colour of the metal discs perfectly.

One point of note though, once opened up I discovered these discs actually have plastic casings which appear to have been coated with "metal" / magnesium on the outside, so they really are plastic :shok:

(btw I have kept one sealed disc in its original packaging. They really are THE best MD's ever released, and I wish I had bought more at the time :sorry: ).

I'm curious to see there discs... before and after the transplant.. Pics?

I'm curious to see there discs... before and after the transplant.. Pics?

I've just quickly taken these snaps...

post-14007-1208557598_thumb.jpgpost-14007-1208557618_thumb.jpgpost-14007-1208557637_thumb.jpg

The thing is, these are the disc I use least often!!

One other thing, I found that I have to tape over the two small holes on the back of the disc (at the bottom, above the small plastc protector) before the Hi-MD player would recognise the disc and allow Hi-MD transfer.

Edited by rosjos

The holes in the bottom cover of an MD-disc are different from those in the bottom cover of a Hi-MD disc. This may cause problems with write protection and disc type detection. Taping the holes will make the disc permanently write-protected.

A solution may be to use the bottom cover from the original Hi-MD disc.

The holes in the bottom cover of an MD-disc are different from those in the bottom cover of a Hi-MD disc. This may cause problems with write protection and disc type detection. Taping the holes will make the disc permanently write-protected.

A solution may be to use the bottom cover from the original Hi-MD disc.

This use of tape over the holes is only necessary with the MD2000 metal cases into which I have transplanted Hi-MD discs. The hoes on the true Hi-MD discs have a wider second hole, which obviously allows for Hi-MD recognition (also, I remove the tape when recording is complete).

But the interesting (or boring) thing that I have discovered is the use oif the tape over the holes with the MD2000 is only necessary when the unit is hooled up to the computer. If I use my transplanted MD2000 Hi-MD disc in my NH1 or RH1 reording digitally from CD the machines allow recording in the normal circumstances. But, I suppose unless anyone else has tansplanted Hi-MD into MD2000 this post will be of no use or relevance or interest :lazy:

Yep, Air, Röyksopp, I have some of their stuff too, but nothing you wouldn't already have, just their flagship albums, Moon Safari and Melody AM. Oh, I do have the Air + Italian writer Alessandro Barricco collaboration album though too, but that is rather only of interest if one has read his books and / or understands Italian language.

I'm however unfamiliar with OMD, which stands for ...?

Orchestral Manouvres in the dark, you would like, let me know, I can get you some,

Bob

I'll take you on on that offer, with some Kraftwerk too. I'll think of some nice albums for you in return, Bob-T.

It would be awesome if you would add the rateyourmusic app. to your FaceBook BTW B)

We could keep track better that way :)

The Tangerine Dream you sent me gets some appreciative listening sessions from time to time, thanks again for that ;)

No Problem, I did the ratemymusic, but it must have got lost, will try again,

TTFN

Bob