imported tracks in wrong order

Rate this topic

raintheory

Check what columns you have in "My Library" and click on whichever you want to sort by (Track number I suppose for CDs, though File Path is preferable).

While importing from Hi-MD to PC, track filenames (not titles) are given a prefix of 001-, 002-, 003-, etc. per group. To sort all of your tracks in order while importing, first move them all into the same group on your Hi-MD (you can do this in SonicStage) and then add a column for "File Path" in My Library and sort by that/

You can add/remove columns by right-clicking on the column area.

EDIT: Ahh, the elusive quadruple post! :) --I've had problems recently posting as well, I'm sure the mods will trim them down for you.

Edited by raintheory

hi, i'm brand new to all this so forgive me if i'm doing it wrong!

i wish i'd known about this forum years ago, it could have saved me a lot of heart-ache. anyway!

i'm running sonicstage version 3.3 on windows millenium. it's worked brilliantly for 3 years or so, i do live sound recording of lectures and live bands on models mz-nh1 and mz-nh600, then i connect those to the PC, import them into sonicstage, divide/combine as necessary and burn off audio CDs. just recently though, the programme seemed to have a little 'blip'...and now when i import a bunch of tracks they arrive in 'my library' in a completely scrambled order.

i also occasionally import audio CDs to make my own compilations and i've noticed that even these tracks dont stay in the right order, which makes putting them into a playlist kinda tricky. 'my library' shows these tracks in VAGUELY ( but NOT completely) alphabetical order. it's a huge annoyance and slows down my work considerably. i know i could name each track before importing it but that also is very slow and shouldn't be necessary.

any idea what's happened and how i can put it back to how it used to be?

i did consider uninstalling and reinstalling but i'm jolly glad i read around here first! i get the impression sonicstage doesnt happily reinstall and remembering the b***** of a job we had to get it running in the first place i don't really want to mess with it.

i have 1 other concern i'd appreciate comment on. i create regular system restore points but the one time i've tried to use them (for some unrelated problem) sonicstage refused to start, needing to go online in order to check something - and my machine is NOT online and never will be. i had to undo my system restore and solve the problem the long way. is it really impossible for me to restore my system if something goes wrong?

many thanks for your attention, i hope someone out there can help me!

When I import to SonicStage, I just name the Group I'm importing, leaving the individual tracks untitled. Then the Untitled-s are in order when they arrive.

But when you name them, SonicStage does go alphabetical. There's still an option: One of the headers in SonicStage is Date Imported, which is actually date and time. Click on the header, and it will re-order the tracks as they were imported.

The validation thing is a huge pain. It has to do with SonicStage's pointless anti-piracy protection, validating online that your computer is still the same one that had the old files.

At your first chance, you should take copy protection off the files in your SonicStage library.

I don't know if SonicStage had File Conversion Tool--see if it does, and if it does, run it.

File Conversion Tool (under Tools, or separately in the SonicStage group under Programs) will remove the encryption that ties the uploaded files to one computer--it will give you ATRAC files that can be played in any SonicStage.

When you start it, File Conversion Tool closes SonicStage and opens itself, checks the database of songs and gives you the amount of time for conversion with a checkbox that says Add Copy Protection. Uncheck that, of course, and it gives you a different amount of time. Run it, and you will have portable ATRAC files.

Then you can store the files anywhere--CD, DVD--and do what you need to do with your system. So if SonicStage does get silly later, the files won't be destroyed with it.

SonicStage 4.2, the best version, is still supposed to be comptible with Windows ME. Here is a thread with links to installers. Don't get 4.3 from Sony, which is only useful for Vista.

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=18671

Edited by A440

• 1 month later...

hi, it took me a while to see that you had replied to me, i've done what you said and solved my problem!

thanks very much

A.

Check what columns you have in "My Library" and click on whichever you want to sort by (Track number I suppose for CDs, though File Path is preferable).

While importing from Hi-MD to PC, track filenames (not titles) are given a prefix of 001-, 002-, 003-, etc. per group. To sort all of your tracks in order while importing, first move them all into the same group on your Hi-MD (you can do this in SonicStage) and then add a column for "File Path" in My Library and sort by that/

EDIT: Ahh, the elusive quadruple post! :) --I've had problems recently posting as well, I'm sure the mods will trim them down for you.

hi, it took me a while to see that you had replied to me, i've done what you said and solved my problem!

thanks very much

A.

excellent, problem solved.

thanks very much, A.

When I import to SonicStage, I just name the Group I'm importing, leaving the individual tracks untitled. Then the Untitled-s are in order when they arrive.

But when you name them, SonicStage does go alphabetical. There's still an option: One of the headers in SonicStage is Date Imported, which is actually date and time. Click on the header, and it will re-order the tracks as they were imported.

The validation thing is a huge pain. It has to do with SonicStage's pointless anti-piracy protection, validating online that your computer is still the same one that had the old files.

At your first chance, you should take copy protection off the files in your SonicStage library.

I don't know if SonicStage had File Conversion Tool--see if it does, and if it does, run it.

File Conversion Tool (under Tools, or separately in the SonicStage group under Programs) will remove the encryption that ties the uploaded files to one computer--it will give you ATRAC files that can be played in any SonicStage.

When you start it, File Conversion Tool closes SonicStage and opens itself, checks the database of songs and gives you the amount of time for conversion with a checkbox that says Add Copy Protection. Uncheck that, of course, and it gives you a different amount of time. Run it, and you will have portable ATRAC files.

Then you can store the files anywhere--CD, DVD--and do what you need to do with your system. So if SonicStage does get silly later, the files won't be destroyed with it.

SonicStage 4.2, the best version, is still supposed to be comptible with Windows ME. Here is a thread with links to installers. Don't get 4.3 from Sony, which is only useful for Vista.

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=18671