Replacement battery for RH910

Rate this topic

BKav

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on this website. I am in a bit of a quandry that I hope you can help with. I have had my Sony RH-910 recorder for almost 3 years, and I've been very happy with it's performance. I've used it to record maybe 25-30 times, each time lasting around 2.5-3 hours. I have never had any battery trouble as long as I fully charge the battery before recording. I can always record for at least a 3 hour span in Hi-MD and when I am done it still has 2 bars left.

On Sunday I was doing a stealth recording, and I noticed that the machine had completely turned off and stopped recording after 45 minutes. For the second act of what I was recording, I attached the AA battery pack and it only gave another 35 minutes of recording time before stopping dead.

Is this a battery problem? Should I buy a few replacement gumstick batteries, and if so, is this ebay item a good battery? I found that link on another page on this website. Or should I get this battery from Minidisco.com?

Thanks!

Edited by BKav

Battery issues have to be some of the most perplexing ones we can run into, since it's often difficult to isolate the root of the problem. Of course no battery lasts forever, so yours may be on its way out. An easy first test of this hypothesis may be to charge it up all the way, then insert a disc, set the player to repeat all tracks, and play the disc until the battery runs out. How long did they player run?

I've owned an RH-10 for about 2 and 1/2 years, but hadn't used it for the past 6 months. This weekend, I charged up the battery and ran the player with a disc full of songs recorded at Hi-LP mode. The player ran for over 16.5 hours! The RH-910 is the same as the RH-10 except for the display, right? If you don't get at least 10-12 hours of play out of a full charge, you might want to consider getting a new battery.

The Sony replacement battery seems way overpriced to me. I've seen the GP brand battery highly recommended on this site several times. It's here for $8:

http://www.budgetbatteries.com/index.php?c...6bnmu1rktc1t5u4

Whatever the problem, I hope the solution is an easy and inexpensive one for you. Good luck.

If battery performance is degraded by the memory effect, it may recover if you make a practice of discharging completely (leave in play mode until unit automatically switches off) before recharging. A NiMH battery should last about 300 charge-recharge cycles average in theory before performance significantly degrades.

Thanks for the battery recommendations. I will definitely pick up a couple of those. Last night I took the battery out and wiped off all the connectors until they looked shiny, and then fully charged it. I was then able to record for at least 3.5 hours and when I turned it on this morning it was still at 2 bars. I don't know if that solved the problem, or if the battery was just loose or if it is really starting to fail, but I'll buy some more batteries as a backup just in case.

Thanks!