is it possible to use a mic with a MZ-R501 ?

Rate this topic

andymac63

Hi

i've been given a Sony MZ-R501 recording minidisc.

It only has a LINE in not a MIC in and so records fine from line sources. Is it possible to have some microphone set up to use it to, say, to record live music? I've plugged a Electret tie-clip microphone into it and I get a very weak signal through.

Obviously if I should probably just go out and buy a minidisc with a MIC in socket - but given what I've got, is there any way it is possible to get a reasonable signal from a microphone - and if so , how?

Hi

i've been given a Sony MZ-R501 recording minidisc.

It only has a LINE in not a MIC in and so records fine from line sources. Is it possible to have some microphone set up to use it to, say, to record live music? I've plugged a Electret tie-clip microphone into it and I get a very weak signal through.

Obviously if I should probably just go out and buy a minidisc with a MIC in socket - but given what I've got, is there any way it is possible to get a reasonable signal from a microphone - and if so , how?

You would need some sort of microphone preamp with its own power supply. This would magnify the signal up to Line In levels.

Look at some of the other threads (in this section) before you leap into this. Even with the "right" gear some people had trouble.

Disclaimer: I have never used a microphone preamp/battery box.

It depends on how much your mic is putting out, and that varies with every mic.

But I find that my Sound Professionals BMC-2 mics and a battery module (I use Microphone Madness mini-classic, just for size, but have worn out a few--not recommended if you're not stealthing) will record close-up voice adequately and are ideal for anything amplified.

http://www.microphonemadness.com/products/mmcbmminminc.htm

Your mic may be less sensitive. But the fact that it got anything at all through line-in is encouraging.

You can also look at eBay. There are some cheap mic preamps on there, though I can't vouch for quality.

But you can probably find a Mic-in legacy minidisc unit on eBay for the price of a battery module--if, and only if, what you intend to record is unamplified, because anything amplified will overload Mic-in.

• 2 weeks later...