Conversion/Transfer Problem in Sonicstage 3.4

Rate this topic

freebird2003

Scenario 1

i have install sonicstage 3.1. but i have don't want to import my mp3s(which is located in a external drive) to the sonicstage yet. if i upgrade to sonicstage 3.4, when i import my mp3s, will i be able to convert my mp3s to atrac format and transfer to my HD5 without any problem ? when converting mp3 to atrac and transfering files to atrac devices the error msg appears. does that mean the required DRM files is not in the sonicstage 3.4 directory?

Scenario 2

same as Scenario 1, but this time before i do the upgrade to sonicstage 3.4, i juz import a dummy mp3 file to sonicstage 3.1 and convert it to atrac format. after that, i perform the sonicstage backup tool. By doing this, will sonicstage backup the nessasery DRM files to the backup ? after the backup is done, i upgrade to sonicstage 3.4 and restore the backup ? will i be able to perform the mp3(import from external drive) to atrac without any error msg?

:unsure::unsure:

plz share your views and suggestion.

Thank you

ref: http://www.atraclife.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1389

Edited by freebird2003

Guest Stuge

Senario 1.First of all DRM doesn`t come into play with Mp3 files (Unless you have copy protected file ).

In Sonic Stage ver3.4 i`m able to convert my other mp3`s to Atrac except for those 200 mp3`s..

Scenario 2,

But if you convert your Mp3 files to Atrac in SonicStage ver3.1 & then you make a back ..then i don`t think you will have problems with SonicStage ver3.4 .

Backup tool is very easy indeed ..

i email sony and they replied my by email

this was their reply

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your support for Sony products.

In view of your situation, we would suggest the following:

1) Backup your current Sonic Stage data via the following procedures listed below:

- Click on the "Start" button and select "All Programs"

- Select "Sonic Stage" followed by selecting "SonicStage Backup Tool"

- Select the "Back up my data" option to proceed (*please take note of the location of the backup file)

2) Uninstall your Sonic Stage application

3) Restart your computer system

4) Reinstall your Sonic Stage application

5) Update the version of your Sonic Stage

6) Restart your computer system

7) Run the "SonicStage Backup Tool" application and select the "Restore my saved data to my computer" option to reload the data into your current Sonic Stage application

8) Convert the song files

Should situation persist, we would recommend you to remove all the current songs from the Sonic Stage library and re-import the list of songs to Sonic Stage for conversion and monitor if the similar issue persist.

Should you require any further assistance, please feel free to contact us by email or call our hotline at (65) 6544-8600.

We look forward to your continuous support for Sony products and services.

Best regards

Nelson Goh

Executive Assistant

Customer Contact Centre Department

Customer Interface Marketing Division

Sony Singapore

i follow their instruction clearly. after i install sonicstage 3.4, i reboted my computer. i use sonicstage backup tool to restore the backup. after backup, i started sonicstage 3.4. i import one of my songs in my external drive. i right click the file to cconvert format. The same error msg appeared. "Sonicstage (00000908-7209) Cannot convert the specified track. Possibe reasons may include: The Track (files) cannot be found. Sonicstage does not support the file format of the track. the track is copyright protected. (00000000)"

i email them my problem. at the moment, i uninstall/delete all sonicstage & openmg related progarm/folders/registary entries. i am juz wait for their reply.

i email them with few more question.

this is what they reply me.

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your email dated 20 Mar 2006.

With regard to your enquiry, please refer below for the information addressing to your query:

1) Q: Which version should I install 1st ? If the sonicstage 3.1 must be install 1st, what is the reason behind it?

A: You would have to install the Sonic Stage version 3.1 first as it is the full application for Sonic Stage. The Sonic Stage version 3.4 which you have downloaded via the web consists of files to update your

current Sonic Stage version and is not a full application by itself.

2) Q: At the moment I have not imported any songs to sonicstage yet.

Does that me I still have to run the backup tool ?

A: If you have not imported any songs to Sonic Stage at the moment, you need not run the backup tool utility. Sonic Stage backup tool is meant to perform backup to your Sonic Stage data (e.g. music files,

conversions) as a form of backup in case you require to reinstall the Sonic Stage application and require the old data back.

3) Q: I juz want to update to the latest version of sonicstage which is 3.4. when I import a mp3 song to sonicstage 3.4, will I be able to convert the to the desired atrac format with out any error msg?

A: Yes you would be able to convert the MP3 file into a ATRAC3 file without errors unless the MP3 file is being encrypted with copyright management contents.

Should you require any further assistance, please feel free to contact us by email or call our hotline at (65) 6544-8600.

Best regards

Nelson Goh

Executive Assistant

Sony Singapore

Guest Stuge

But `im sure your mp3`s are not encrypted otherwise SSver3,1 would have allowed you to convert it .

I fyou think there is some problem With your SSver3.4 then i will advise you to download full installer from MDFC(forums.minidisc.org)

i juz tried wat you said, i juz install the SSver3.4(full installer). when i tried to convert the mp3 track, it still prompt the same error msg.

Sonicstage (00000908-7209)

Cannot convert the specified track.

Possibe reasons may include:

The Track (files) cannot be found.

Sonicstage does not support the file format of the track.

the track is copyright protected.

(00000000)

:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

Note: i will change the topic title as now we are narrowing down the problem.

Edited by freebird2003

i have not tried to restore the backup that i created using ss3.1 with this ss3.4(full installer). now i at work. i will try that when i get back home.

Sonicstage 3.1 (CD that came with HD5)

------------------

MP3 -> Atrac (Convert) (OK)

WAV -> Atrac (Convert) (OK)

Sonicstage 3.3 (Tried with full installer)

------------------

MP3 -> Atrac (Convert) (NOT OK)

Sonicstage 3.4 (Tried with both web installer and full installer)

------------------

MP3 -> Atrac (Convert) (NOT OK)

i am interested in ss 3.4 because i want to convert my tracks to ATRAC 3 plus @192 kps as you advise me.

Edited by freebird2003

Guest Stuge

Good point I don`t know about him but just now i tried to Convert one of mp3`s to Atrac 3 plus 192kpbs ..Mp3 bit rate 256kpbs(unencrypted).I also got the message ..

Error:

Cannot convert the specified track:

Possible resons may inculde -

-tracks files cannot be found

-sonicstage does not support the file format of the track.

-the track is copy protected

(00000000)

Could you please elaborate on the Mp3 file in question? CBR? VBR? I ask of this because SonicStage is known to be somewhat temperamental with VBR type. If the Mp3 file in question is of VBR type, convert it to CBR and try again with SonicStage. Another point worth noting is that SonicStage will not convert (if I remember correctly) from a lower to higher high bit rate.

This thread begs the question:

Why on earth would you want to convert MP3 to ATRAC3/3plus???

Converting one lossy format to another lossy format (transcoding) is really not good for quality... Since all you're doing is decreasing the quality of the music/file.

If you have stuff in MP3 already and want those exact files transferred to the player, just transfer the MP3s directly with SS or MP3FM.

If you want to use ATRAC3/3plus it is recommended to do so only via ripping right from the uncompressed/non-lossy source (e.g. the original CD) or from files found on an internet music service offering downloads in ATRAC3/3plus format (e.g. Connect).

Converting one lossy format to another lossy format (transcoding) is really not good for quality... Since all you're doing is decreasing the quality of the music/file.

If you have stuff in MP3 already and want those exact files transferred to the player, just transfer the MP3s directly with SS or MP3FM.

If you want to use ATRAC3/3plus it is recommended to do so only via ripping right from the uncompressed/non-lossy source (e.g. the original CD) or from files found on an internet music service offering downloads in ATRAC3/3plus format (e.g. Connect).

the reason is that, in order to fully utilitise the sound function fully in HD5 the songs must be converted to atrac.

Hey ..did you make a back up of those Atrac file that you got after converting Mp3 ..if yes yuse that back file in ssver3.4 .

i have tried using the backup but still no luck.

Furthermore sony have juz replyed me with is crap answer.

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your email dated 21 Mar 2006.

In response to your enquiry, we would suggest the following listed below to resolve any software issues for your Sonic Stage application:

1) Uninstall your Sonic Stage 3.4 (need not perform any backup using the Sonic Stage backup tool)

2) Locate the following folder: C:\Program Files\Sony and delete the folder by the name of "SonicStage" (if the Sonic Stage folder is

available)

3) Restart your computer system

4) Install the Sonic Stage 3.1 application from the supplied CD

5) Download the Sonic Stage version 3.4 update via the following web

link:

http://www.css.ap.sony.com/consumer/templa...=Personal+Audio

6) Execute the update file which you have downloaded to update your current Sonic Stage 3.1 to 3.4

7) Restart your computer system

8) Import your MP3 files to your Sonic Stage application and perform the file conversion

Best regards

Nelson Goh

Executive Assistant

Sony Singapore

i have already done this steps a millions of time.

Edited by freebird2003

For me the only reason to do this is gapless playback.

Guest Stuge

Hello Guys ,

I gave one of my mp3(192kpbs CBR) file to Ishi which i was unable to convert it to Atrac for the testing purpose .

He has confirmed me that he was successfull in converting that mp3 file in question to Atrac 3 132kpbs & Atrac3 Plus 192kpbs using SonicStage ver3.4

So I think there must be some problem in our own computer which is preventing SonicStage ver3.4 to convert them to Atrac .

So some relief for me ..

But what might be wrong with my computer that prevents sonicstage 3.4's mp3 -> atrac conversion.

but what is puzzle me is the sonicstage 3.1(CD that came withHD5) work fines.

stupid sony take about 12 hrs to reply my email. so i have to wait each day for thir reply. furthermore, the solution that provide me is the same again and again.

:sad::sad::sad:

:unsure::unsure::unsure:

stupid sony take about 12 hrs to reply my email. so i have to wait each day for thir reply. furthermore, the solution that provide me is the same again and again.

HEH HEH

Welcome to Tech Support :mellow:

stuge,

i am aware that the sony connect software is not for NW_HD5. the thought juz came aross my mind. you told us that you have about 200 mp3 that you are not able to convert to atrac. are you able to achive this in the connect software with out any error msg ??

i read in this forum that ffdshow is not compatible with ss3.4. what should i do or rather what is the setting that i should apply in ffdshow to make it compstibe with ss3.4. i don't want come to a point that i need to uninstall ffdshow cause it need it.

Thanks alot.

i read in this forum that ffdshow is not compatible with ss3.4. what should i do or rather what is the setting that i should apply in ffdshow to make it compstibe with ss3.4. i don't want come to a point that i need to uninstall ffdshow cause it need it.

Thanks alot.

--> Start Menu>Programs>FFDShow>Audio Filter Configuration. Within configuration, you should be able to disable the ffdshow audio codec for Mp3, AC3, DTS and etc.

NOTE: I have never employed ffdshow - so, I hope the instructions are to the letter. Otherwise, fiddle a little within its utility settings section or try and select "do not use" within your "Control Panel>Sounds, Speech, and Audio Devices>Sounds and Audio Devices Properties>Hardware tab>Audio Codecs>Properties>*locate the corresponding acronym for ffdshow"

I hope this will alleviate your current predicament. Good luck and report back if the problem still persists.

the reason is that, in order to fully utilitise the sound function fully in HD5 the songs must be converted to atrac.

Yes I'm aware of the lack of EQ availability with MP3 but are you really telling me you're transcoding and lowering the quality of the tracks just to use the EQ??? That's like recording a CD to a cassette just because you have a tape player with an EQ but your CD player doesn't. LOL. Well maybe not the best analogy but you get the picture.

Honestly, transcoding the file just to use the EQ is a pretty futile attempt at making things sound better. I'd just use the Digital Sound Preset instead. In fact, if the EQ is anything like the EQ on the HD1/3 then the Digital Sound Preset feature isn't far off. In fact I pretty much prefer to use that instead of the EQ because it is simpler and sounds the same because I end up setting the EQ nearly the same anyway...

me again.

i would like to playout with connect software wheather connect sotware would solve my problem. although, it looks like stab in the dark, but i don't mind trying. i am unsure where to obtain the software. i hope someone would me kind enough to share the program. well, my plan is that if connect software allows me to convert, i will import all the atrac files in sonicstage software to transfer to HD5.

thanks alot.

i hope someone would me kind enough to share the program. well, my plan is that if connect software allows me to convert, i will import all the atrac files in sonicstage software to transfer to HD5.

Please utilize the search function of the forum in the future. You can install CONNECT Player manually; and apply its corresponding updates later - please find instructions within this thread

Did you manage to disable ffdshow according to the instructions I have outlined in the preceding posts?

Did you manage to disable ffdshow according to the instructions I have outlined in the preceding posts?

now i am work. i will do that 1st thing when i get home. even when i am at work, i thoughts are about how to slove this problem that i am having. hahaha

Thanks alots

stuge,

After reading the thread that Ishiyoshi pointed out to me, it seems that you can't even convert mp3s to atract in connect software. it seems that i am running out of options. thanks

Edited by freebird2003

Guest Stuge

After reading the thread that Ishiyoshi pointed out to me, it seems that you can't even convert mp3s to atract in connect software. it seems that i am running out of options. thanks

Yes ,I know that .Connect doesn`t allow to convert mp3`s to Atrac manually ..

I think i didn`t read your post carefully otherwise i would have told you that Connect in this matter is useless.

But tell us what happens after disabling ffdshow ?

But tell us what happens after disabling ffdshow ?

i tried disabling the mp3 codecs in FFDShow.. i open sonicstage 3.4 and tried to convert my mp3s to atrac. i am still getting the same error. i also tried uninstalling FFDShow but still no luck

sony reply me juz now

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your email dated 22 Mar 2006.

With regard to your current issue faced, we would appreciate if you could send us the MP3 file which you have used to perform the conversion for us to further verify on the issue.

Best regards

Nelson Goh

Executive Assistant

Sony Singapore

as they requested, i attached a mp3 file and email them back. i am juz wondering what will they reply me back. i am sure they will say, to try another computer or reformat or that sort.

:sad::sad::sad::sad:

sony reply me juz now

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your email dated 23 Mar 2006.

We appreciate the effort in providing us with the MP3 file.

With regard to your issue, we would like to inform you that based on our test with your MP3 file, the issue you are currently facing could be due to interruption of the conversion process from other applications running in your computer system.

Hence we would suggest the following:

1) Uncheck the "add copy protection after completing conversion" when converting the music file

2) Attempt the conversion on a different computer system and monitor if the similar issue occurs

Best regards

Nelson Goh

Executive Assistant

Sony Singapore

i don't know what to say and don't what to rely them back. Their most answers are #%@!up. i have tried to unstall both xvid and ffdshow not no luck. i think i have to really stick with ss3.1

Guest Stuge

I will also suggest you to stick to SSver3.1 till this problem is solved .Also I will try to send another file as I have reconverted most of my mp3 file to mp3 again ..So now i`m able to convert them ..delete the old files .

So now i`m able to convert them ..delete the old files .

thats great news for you. gd luck

actually i was trying various setting with ffdshow but still no luck.

to help to slove my problem, do i need to list the software/hardware that i have installed in my pc ??

Edited by freebird2003

Guest Stuge

to help to slove my problem, do i need to list the software/hardware that i have installed in my pc ??

It might help .but to check whether a software is interfering or not you will need to unistall each software one by one ..it`s very tedious ..I haven`t trid this procedure as it will take lot of time .

Hello everyone,

I think I have solved my own problem. After analyzing my computer thoroughly and reading a lot of threads in atraclife and minidisk forum, I realizing that sonicstage must be conflicting with some of codec that I have installed in my computer. I have initially installed ffdshow and ac3filter in my computer. I suspected that this two codec was the culprit. I uninstalled both. And install sonicstage 3.4 (full installer) and rebooted the computer. I started ss3.4 and randomly chose about 10 mp3 songs to import in ss3.4. I right click the tracks to convert. The songs converted to atrac without any error msg. Like I said earlier, I need ffdshow. I installed ffdshow only. Again I tried to convert the mp3s to atrac. The mp3s converted without any problem and error. Actually, I did not disable the mp3 codec under ffdshow settings. But the ffdshow icon appears in my system tray when converting which is ok for me.

From this I can conclude that, don’t install 2 or more codec that can do the same thing. When sonicstage trying to convert, the 2 codecs clash and thus giving the stupid error. I hope people will lean from my mistake.

Thanks a lot for all your inputs and suggestions.

Sonicstage is not that stupid afterall.

:)