Problem charging my MZ-R909

Rate this topic

tonetony

Hello all - please help :help:

I recently started using my MZ-R909 that I'd bought off eBay sometime ago (used). I wanted to started recording some exterior sounds and I thought that this would be a good starting point. When I switched on the MD for the first time the NO BAT sign was flashing so I assumed the obvious. When I put the MD on the cradle, the red light flashed once while positioning the MD on it and then it immediately goes off. Then, I thought that something might be wrong with the connection points and I removed the cradle to charge it straight from the charger [ SONY AC-ES305, 3V, 500mA ]. Doing this results on the display showing the charging status for 1/2 a sec and then dropping the whole procedure off, ALTHOUGH it plays, records, etc just fine when plugged in with the supplied SONY power supply (!). Subsequently, I thought that there might be a problem with the battery that it came with (being used et all) and I run off to get a new one [ In both cases the battery used is the SONY NH-14WM(A) - 1.2V 1350mAh ]. Still, no luck. The charging procedure immediately drops.

Would that be a well-known problem? Could anyone tell whether this situation indicates a faulty MD or a faulty power supply?

Many thanks to all

You could try cleaning the battery terminal contacts inside the unit itself, sometimes that helps...

Also, you might be able to get a "sidecar" external AA-Battery adapter to use with the unit, good to have regardless but in this case it would be a worst-case scenario.

Edited by raintheory

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all - please help :help:

I recently started using my MZ-R909 that I'd bought off eBay sometime ago (used). I wanted to started recording some exterior sounds and I thought that this would be a good starting point. When I switched on the MD for the first time the NO BAT sign was flashing so I assumed the obvious. When I put the MD on the cradle, the red light flashed once while positioning the MD on it and then it immediately goes off. Then, I thought that something might be wrong with the connection points and I removed the cradle to charge it straight from the charger [ SONY AC-ES305, 3V, 500mA ]. Doing this results on the display showing the charging status for 1/2 a sec and then dropping the whole procedure off, ALTHOUGH it plays, records, etc just fine when plugged in with the supplied SONY power supply (!). Subsequently, I thought that there might be a problem with the battery that it came with (being used et all) and I run off to get a new one [ In both cases the battery used is the SONY NH-14WM(A) - 1.2V 1350mAh ]. Still, no luck. The charging procedure immediately drops.

Would that be a well-known problem? Could anyone tell whether this situation indicates a faulty MD or a faulty power supply?

Many thanks to all

Hi,

AS luck has it, I bought an MZR900 from eBay which I got yesterday, and the guy made great praise of the add on AA battery holder, as "the other was useless". When I got the unit home (I drove to pick it up) I realised after some time it did not charge (same symptoms as yours). I actually got it for the remote, as my M710 remote is shot, so tried it with the battery from the 710, which was fully charged. No joy. This morning I looked in the "door" that you open for the gumstick insertion, and noticed there is a little tab (very tiny) which I thought maybe if I carefully popped it up a bit it would make better contact...

It did! My 900 is charging as we speak, and works fine with the gumstick battery charged up from the 710. I now have two working MD units with interchangable batteries and a remote between them :-)

Hope this helps.

• 3 years later...