looking for a stereo mic battery "tube" box

Rate this topic

baturjan

I think he wants it to be a preamp as well .

For stealthing the little tiny condensers could use a little more ampere than what the MD puts out , plus they are a Lower output than say the AT 822

I think I have an idea of what he wants , just trying to figure out how to fit it in a tube and make it 1.5 volts , That is the hard part .

I can make a 9 volt 26 db gain pre , but it is Mono . to make a stereo pre , and get it that small will take some doing , will definitely have to have good components.

ergo ........ it will cost a bit .

Man I wish I didnt have sooooooo much work to do on my House , I could be TINKERING!!!!!

I know nothing about this sort of thing. My motivation for a battery box is based on recording outcomes, and an AA battery for form factor. The reason for the stereo is to use it with my camcorder (using earphone microphones from Sound Professionals). I have the M200 with the Sony ECM-DS70P microphone for recording conversation and lectures. Sometimes I have to turn up the recording level, and there's more white noise. I've read here and elsewhere that having a battery box and running the mic into the Line-in port can produce in cleaner sound.

Edited by baturjan

Battery box to line-in without preamp is for loud sounds only, otherwise the recording levels will be too low.

So the question is will using a battery box or preamp into the Line-in for recording lectures (or table conversations) at or close to –12 dB result in less noise than the Mic-in? In either case (Line-in or Mic-in) the two variables I'm experimenting/adjusting are recording level and low/hi mic sensitivity to achieve the best volume to noise ratio.

So the question is will using a battery box or preamp into the Line-in for recording lectures (or table conversations) at or close to –12 dB result in less noise than the Mic-in? In either case (Line-in or Mic-in) the two variables I'm experimenting/adjusting are recording level and low/hi mic sensitivity to achieve the best volume to noise ratio.

I think you just need a nicer mic .........

It makes a HUGE difference . You get what you pay for most of the time , a reputable company name , and truly pro design .

The mic pre's in the Md are actually very nice , but they do require a proper input to get to that "Nice"

for lectures you dont have to really hide the mic , unless your being clandestine :ninja:

Cheap mics = Cheap sound .( general rule , I have a couple good "Cheap mics" )

I record Classical , and Acoustic bands with just my AT822 and whatever Md I have handy . No preamp , and never have complaints about the sound.

Do you want to record Mono or Stereo , Do you want to Hide the mic or is it ok for it to be open on a table stand .

etc , give some examples of exactly what your looking to do .

Do you want to record Mono or Stereo , Do you want to Hide the mic or is it ok for it to be open on a table stand .

etc , give some examples of exactly what your looking to do .

Thanks for your help. I'm sure I do need a nicer mic.

Right now I'm recording in two situations. One is lectures in small classrooms (2-3 meters) from speaker. The other one is recording my language tutor, sitting at a table either having a conversation or just him. I only own the M200.

With any good mic, or even a mediocre mic, recording into the mic jack in those situations should give you very good results with no additional equipment. You should not be having level problems. It must be a very low-sensitivity mic.

Get this for $9 and put it on a stereo extension cord (minijack to miniplug, like a headphone extension cord) to keep it away from motor noise from your unit, and you'll be fine.

http://www.giant-squid-audio-lab.com/gs/gs-minigold1.htm

One thing you might experiment with, using the mic you already have, is using Manual level instead of Auto level. During gaps between speech, the auto level will boost the background noise because it thinks the signal you want got quiet. Manual won't boost the background noise. Try going into Rec Set/Record Volume/Manual and try some test recordings and see if that helps before you get a new mic.