Left Channel recording only

Rate this topic

kylieshotpants

Hi

I've had a problem with a few tapings of late that the right channel does not record

I'm using binaurals, 9v batt box to line in

i've traced the problem to the line in (at first I assumed the right microphone may have disconnected but is fine).

once you move the line in it goes back to stereo.

Does anyone know what the actual problem would be

I'm thinking

a/ a damaged (or dirty) stereo lead that connects to the line in

b/ dirt in the line in (how best to clean if so?)

c/ damaged line in

any advice would be welcome

Thanks

Edited by kylieshotpants

• 1 month later...

Hi

I've had a problem with a few tapings of late that the right channel does not record

I'm using binaurals, 9v batt box to line in

i've traced the problem to the line in (at first I assumed the right microphone may have disconnected but is fine).

once you move the line in it goes back to stereo.

Does anyone know what the actual problem would be

I'm thinking

a/ a damaged (or dirty) stereo lead that connects to the line in

b/ dirt in the line in (how best to clean if so?)

c/ damaged line in

any advice would be welcome

Thanks

You know, I've just posted an identical question myself!!

Did you get anywhere? I first noticed this when I recorded several bands on Saturday over a 7 hour period, some came out just fine, but a few had left channel only. Same thing happened to me the following night - support band recorded fine, main act, left channel only.

I've now cleaned the lead from the batt box to the recorder, also cleaned the jack from the mic into the batt box and I'm recording again tomorrow and will see how it goes. Was also considering whether I could pop the lead into the MIC socket (with the batt box also in the loop) and record from there but I guess I might get distortion (Though that is only a guess!!)

Only a guess, but it sounds like a bad connection somewhere, especially since it came back when you moved it. You need to test every connecton--lead to mic, mics to plug, plug to battery box, battery box to line-in--and try to isolate it. And then, if (like me), you're not good with small electronics repairs, you're going to have to find someone to fix the connection.

MIC-IN has an amplifier behind it and you'll get distortion for anything much louder than an unamplified speaking voice. MIC-IN also provides current out to the mic, which is what the battery box does when you go into line-in. Nothing should get damaged if you plug the battery box into Mic-in, but it's not going to help anything.

One other thought, since you're only getting the left channel. The left channel is what comes through a mono plug (one circle around the plug, not two), so possibly your plug is getting pulled halfway out.

You know, I've just posted an identical question myself!!

Did you get anywhere? I first noticed this when I recorded several bands on Saturday over a 7 hour period, some came out just fine, but a few had left channel only. Same thing happened to me the following night - support band recorded fine, main act, left channel only.

I've now cleaned the lead from the batt box to the recorder, also cleaned the jack from the mic into the batt box and I'm recording again tomorrow and will see how it goes. Was also considering whether I could pop the lead into the MIC socket (with the batt box also in the loop) and record from there but I guess I might get distortion (Though that is only a guess!!)