Portugese MD fan's MD museum

Webmaster

I've got 19 to date. Those to be seen in my avatar plus a blue Kenwood DMC-J7R just bought on ebay.

Edited by sharpsony

• 2 weeks later...

I have a DMC J7r also , cool ( Blue as well)

Nice machine, isn't it? ;)

By the way, German minidiscforum.de member "timebandit2" has over 100 portable MD units. Unfortunately though, he never posted a picture of his whole collection which is probably one of the largest worldwide...

Edited by sharpsony

Nice machine, isn't it? ;)

By the way, German minidiscforum.de member "timebandit2" has over 100 portable MD units. Unfortunately though, he never posted a picture of his whole collection which is probably one of the largest worldwide...

AAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH ................. I Lost ............. :vava:

Mt wife would never let me have that many ,........... WAHHHHHHHH

another guy who has loads, maybe 50+ or so MD... decks!

Ah, yes ... I remember reading that some time ago. Really impressive!

50 decks would not fit into my appartment, by the way... :shok:

Edited by sharpsony

Hi all. I think have close to 100 portables of various brands and color combinations. No real duplicates. For example, I have all 3 colors of the MZ-R70 line, all 4 colors of the MZ-R700 line, etc. It has taken quite a while but it is a lot of fun :)

Hi all. I think have close to 100 portables of various brands and color combinations. No real duplicates. For example, I have all 3 colors of the MZ-R70 line, all 4 colors of the MZ-R700 line, etc. It has taken quite a while but it is a lot of fun :)

Wow, cool! I can imagine that fun very well! Would be nice to see some pictures of your collection in the pictorial section...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi All

I've not been on here for a long time, but I've been using MD since day one. The only picture I have of some of my portables is this

MD.JPG

Total list of Sony kit is (I think)

Portable Players:

MZ-2p; MZ-E3 (x2); MZ-E30; MZ-E50; MZ-E33; MZ-E909; MZ-E10

Portable Recorders:

MZ-1; MZ-R3; MZ-R30 (dead, in a drawer somewhere); MZ-R50 (as above); MZ-R55; MZ-R900 (dead); MZ-N910

I've also got a few of the more interesting tape and CD Walkmen:

Tape:

WM-EX808HG (all chrome finish with brass slider over the buttons - very hard to keep clean!)

WM-EX20 (brushed stainless 25th anniversary of the walkman edition)

And some others, but those are the only really interesting ones

CD:

D-777

D-E905

D-EJ01 x 2

And a handful of other not very interesting models

To be honest I didn't realise how many of these things I had lying around until I saw this thread and it got me thinking. Something I have found with the MD portables is that the sound quality, particularly in terms of bass depth and impact, declined rather sharply with the introduction of the 1.5volt drive models (MZ-E30/E50 players, MZ-R55 recorder). I'd be interested to hear other people's views on this.

Regards,

Dave

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

According to various studies (some can even be found on the minidisc.org server Life Time Test of Rewritable Mini Disc Media Magneto MD paper some on others space Japanes Journal of Applied Physics), minidisc is a long-term media. Magneto-optical discs have a "shelf life" of about 30 years, and the technology beyond them can accept in theory 1.000.000 re-recordings...

In shorter words MD are highly reliable and "long lifed" B)

PS:and with care, units are serviceable and considering the amounts still out know should work for an other couple of years

Edited by JFK

Something I have found with the MD portables is that the sound quality, particularly in terms of bass depth and impact, declined rather sharply with the introduction of the 1.5volt drive models (MZ-E30/E50 players, MZ-R55 recorder). I'd be interested to hear other people's views on this.

Regards,

Dave

I agree with you. I have an old MZ-R37 and the sound is miles ahead of newer MD units. It's more natural and more powerful. Sometimes I wish I could go past the '30' volume level on the headphones, but the sound quality makes up for it (and the fiddly controls). It also has a separate line out which the newer units don't have.

Hey, JFK.

Following the links in your sig I find tlhat your forum is down. In fact it says it has been hacked. What happened?

Bonsoir ShriDurga,

If you follow the first link (I recently updated my signature, for the reason you mention), it should be ok. Tell me if you still have troubles.

To be precise, this is not my website. I have been a MD enthusiast since my younger ages (meaning early start of MD), but was mostly a MDfr reader since the Hi-MD came out and got really REALLY interested and involved (as many of us I was starving from what Sony was doing from the MD potential, so the Hi-MD was a BIG smile to me). That leads me to be one of the "key ressource" about the technology on this site :buba:, making me build the FAQ that I chosen to store on MDfr (the leading francophone ressource about MD :drinks:). After months of updates and as life goes, I get really less involved in web (as the last update date of the FAQ shows).

I have been checking from time to time the MDfr forum not to miss any enormous upcoming things and saw it down a few months ago :umnik2: (maybe year infact :wacko:). Was thinking it would get online soon (just seem to be a little tricky hack :moil:), but it has never get up since. I was in the past in relation with the owner, I have to mail him to know the story :bye: (hoping his mail is not dead too) and maybe move the FAQ on another server :unknw:. From time to times I also see online on WLM IM some old members, but I'm always too busy to ask if they have more news!

Infact I was thinking to create a topic here asking if anyone knew what had happened! :excl:

Hope that clear things.

Edited by JFK