mz-nh 900 fails to record (or edit, 'write' anything)

Rate this topic

SlowMo

Hi,

recently, i tried to record a session with my band, when i had to find out, my player is unable to record. (afterwards of course, recording was lost/never made, imagine the faces of my bandmates :o )

I was hoping for a broken wire to the recorder head, but when i unscrewed it, and tested to edit, i saw, that the lock and record-head lowering mechanism doesn't move at all. I really want to avoid unscrewing the board. It looks like a lot of trouble to me, and if its anything beyond a broken wire i can't repair it anyways, so i'd rather try to save me the pain of dis- and reassembly...

I think there was someone who had the same problem, and solved it by modifying the mechanism, so the head would _always_ touch the surface, but i can't find the thread anywhere. i wonder how that turned out in the long term (recorder head wear ?)

So if you know where the thread is or have any other helping ideas i would be very thankful.

greets, Mo

umm....

probably should have posted in Hi-MD considering noone's replied so far..

anyways, i managed to repair it ! :D

first i checked the service manual to see which steps would be necessary for taking out the mainboard, and found out that it's necessary to unsolder battery contacts and sth else - which i wanted to avoid...

but since i was alrady thinking about 'permanently lowering' the recorder head, i simply used a tiny screwdriver to apply some "mild violence" to the parts of the mechanism i was able to reach without removing the mainboard. popped in a disc and the battery, and Voilà ! back to working condition as if nothing had happened. obviously it was only stuck for some reason.

...okay, i should admit that the 'system files' of two disks got rendered useless, one whilst testing to record in a disassembled state, and the other one was probably already damaged beforehand, since it was that disc i was trying to record on when it first failed. both disks still played fine but were unaccessable by sonic stage. the first received a medium format, the other one is an optical recording of a gapless double cd (K&D Sessions) so im waiting until i've got sth. to write here ;)

will report back when i got some live recording experience with the 'repaired' unit, so far it seems to work just fine. i've successfuly tested recording via mic in, transfer and playback.

so long, Mo