Recording railway (railroad) sounds

Rate this topic

buff-scrag

Hello gents,

I'm just getting into the wonderful world of field recording with my new MZ-RH1 and AT822. I'm particularly interested in recording railway sounds here in the UK. I've already made my first attempt this weekend and am fairly pleased with the results - the AT822 really is an awesome piece of equipment!

I just wanted to pose a couple of questions to make sure I'm getting off on the right track (no pun intended!). My main query is regarding the Recording Sensitivity setting on the MZ-RH1. Should I be using High or Low sensitivity for this type of field recording? And if so, what kind of recording level should I be aiming for? I've been using the high setting, but is this too much with an ultra-sensitive mic like the AT822?

Secondly, I did notice some wind noise at the weekend (it was reasonably breezy). On one recording I flicked the low frequency roll-off on the AT822 which cut out most of the wind rumble. Would switiching to Low sensitivity on the MZ-RH1 also help with the wind noise, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Finally (so many questions!) I'm planning to do some onboard recording, basically holding the mic out the window of a moving train - I predict wind noise problems here! Any ideas on settings? I should say that I've got a Windtech 'Mic Muff' fitted over the AT822's foam pop guard.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any advice you guys can offer - I've already learned so much from this excellent forum!

Cheers, Nick

Edited by buff-scrag

Hello, Nick. Nice to meet you.

I'll let some of our more technically inclined members field your recording questions. I wanted instead to encourage you to share a bit of your weekend recording session in this thread. You may note that I've got my own railroad recording there, made this past December at India's Varanasi Station.

Looking forward to hearing more from you soon.

• 1 month later...

Finally (so many questions!) I'm planning to do some onboard recording, basically holding the mic out the window of a moving train - I predict wind noise problems here! Any ideas on settings? I should say that I've got a Windtech 'Mic Muff' fitted over the AT822's foam pop guard.

A lot of it is down to trial and error regarding settings. Your ear could tell you more than what we could regarding what you want to achieve. How are you finding the Windtech MM-18? Man, those furry accessories sure do cost. This is without going in to Rycote and others.