Onkyo Hi-MD question (XB-8, etc)

Rate this topic

kino170878

Has anybody tried this: dubbing tracks from CD to Hi-MD (at high speed if possible, if not at real-time) on the Onkyo XB-8 and then labelling the tracks in Sonicstage/SimpeBurner? Does it work without any problems? That is, not uploading the tracks but just titling on the discs themselves through the software screen?

Are you also free to delete tracks, both on the unit itself and while viewing them in SS/SB, without actually transferring them to the PC first?

Following on from the previous questions, are you able to upload the tracks (after editing them) to the PC through SS, without any restrictions?

For me this would indicate that the editing capabilities on a Hi-MD bookshelf are quite useful and may be a reason to purchase the unit.

Edited by kino170878

• 2 weeks later...

I've just tried this on an XB-8; it all seemed to work fine. More precisely:

- I dubbed a CD to Hi-MD on the XB-8 using Hi-SP (realtime, couldn't figure out how to do it high speed).

- Put the Hi-MD in an NH1 and attached it to the PC.

- Edited some track names on the disc in SS.

- Deleted a track in SS.

- Put the disc back in the XB-8, renamed a track and deleted a track using the XB-8.

- Put the disc back in the NH1, and uploaded the disc to the SS library (in Hi-SP and PCM). No apparent restrictions.

The catch was when I then tried to edit track names using the NH1's own edit facilities, it wouldn't let me. On further investigation I could edit the track names that I'd left untitled, but not the ones I'd edited in SS, nor the one I'd edited on the XB-8.

So the only restriction seems to be editing names on a portable - editing a track name on the XB-8 seems to have the same effect as editing one in SS.

Try pressing the CD Dubbing button twice ;) ...

Aha, thanks! It's trial-and-error for me since it has a Japanese manual; often I'm blundering around between the Yes/No/Enter buttons to see which works - none in this case!

• 2 weeks later...

It may be a restriction about Japan/non-Japan units, Had the same with my RH-1 until I set the firmware to "non-Japanese model". I think a player can display EITHER international characters OR kana, but not both.

So the only restriction seems to be editing names on a portable - editing a track name on the XB-8 seems to have the same effect as editing one in SS.