ONKYO MD-105FX versus ONKYO MD-133

Rate this topic

gbrunsdon

Hi.

The MD-133 has got a better DAC (I assure you!). The sound is more clear and high. The noise from mechanical system is more slight and silent. The product (box and buttons) is well-finished in metal. Probably, the memory (buffer) for read of disc is greater. The analog connectors are gold. The box is bigger than 105fx.

The MD-105fx has a good DAC (but worst than MD-133). The sound is good, but lower than MD-133. The noise from mechanical system is low, but easier ear it (typically, when the unit read the content of disc to memory (buffer)). The finished (box and buttons) is a mix of metal (the box) and plastic like metal (the front of box and buttons), but it isn't bad, although the MD-133 finished is better. I think that the memory (buffer) for read of disc is little because I can ear the disc read operation every little time (perhaps, around 1 or 2 minutes). The analog connectors are silver. The box is the better, if you haven't got space.

I hope it help you!.

Regards.

Hi Wizard.

The first, thank you for the language corrections :-))-

1. About better sound and better DAC. It's correct. I connect 105fx and 133 using RCA OFC cables to my Receiver. I compare both with the same song changing the Receiver input and the sound of 133 is clearer and higher, but I need rise the 105fx input volume and the sound is good, but not better than 133.

2. About the mechanical noise. It's only when 105fx is loading the content of the disc to the flash memory (you ear the disc is revolving in the unit in that moment). The rest of operations are similar in noise.

3. About the front of the MD-105FX. I'm sorry. You are the winner.

Regards.

Hello Wizard.

I'm so sorry!. I've been out of home for several days.

I've bought one Yamaha 563 AV Receiver and a set of Infinity Beta loudspeaker. I'm installing all and when I finished I'll send you all the information. The best, the volume level information of Yamaha is in Decibel.

Please, have a little patient with me!. :-))

Regards.

Have you got any Decibel metering apparatus? I am really interested in this noise difference when buffering of the disc contents occurs. I can't stand it on both the bookshelf systems or the MD-105FX when playing quiet music!

About the 205 series faceplate, you are right that all the buttons except the power and volume buttons are plastic, but the MD-133 surely also has some plastic buttons, no? The Jog Dial has to be plastic, and likely the Edit/No/Clear, Yes/Mode buttons too, maybe more? Clearly the Eject, Play, Pause and Stop ones are not, which is nice.

The slight sound quality difference and level output are interesting too, really. But I haven't reached that level of discerning yet, you'd in fact be horrified to hear I haven't upgraded my RCA cables yet :secret: ...

In any case, it really makes me want to own the Intec 275 series too :D . I know fellow MDCF member & friend Kain_ is very happy with his :) .

But I have yet to finish completing the Intec 205 series. Soon the HDC-1.0 computer, and I'll be done with that set-up.

Many thanks for taking the time to share your valuable information about both Hi-MD decks on the board, sefarad. Really appreciated.

Honestly, their is little difference between md-133 an Md 105FX sound. (Comparison made with Sony MDR-CD3000 headphones through Sony DA50ES Amplifier)

With some musics, MD-133 has a little larger stereo separation, and generaly slight higher frequency response, but can sometime sound a little tirering compared to 105FX !

MD-105FX is very well balanced and finally nearer of sony decks sound than MD-133. (saddly There is still no himd version of the fantastic sony MDS-JA20ES high-end deck ).

Conclusion: MD-105FX is a very good value.

Hi everybody.

About the MD-133 buttons:

Metal: Standby, Eject, Play, Pause and Stop.

Plastic: the rest.

I've make several sound tests with my MZ-RH700 and Sony ECM DS70P microphone, but I think they're not good to appreciate the slight sound difference. :huh:

The noise difference when buffering of the disc contents occurs is appreciated every 3 minutes (more or less) and only from the MD-105 deck (it isn't mixed with the sound of music). So, the sound is good. It's not a problem, really. :rolleyes:

The sound difference is slight clear and, like Garcou said "...slightly higher frequency response". It's not as important as to buy a new MD-133 deck. The comments from Garcou are really right and his ear is acute.

I've noticed more differences between my old sound equipment and my new set than the MD-105 and 133. :lol:

Yes. I like the Intec 275 series too, but is very expensive in my country. I think that the HDC-1.0 computer is probably better option for you than buy one MD-133. :-)).

Regards!.

I've never hear any noticeable noise with 105FX, but I'll hear more carefully...

I ve made several blind testes to compare pcm vs atrac3+ 352kbps (ripped in high quality): it is very hard to distinct them, even with difficult musics like Miles Davis Jazz.

I use PCM on 1GB himd for very important musics, and atrac3+ 352kbps (high quality ripped) for others.

To listen in the street or in the car (using MZ-nh900 combined with connects2 adapter and sony cd car reciever), 1GB disc full with 6 hours atrac3+ (high quality ripped) recordings is more than perfect.

Anyway for all recordings, I make a lossless bakup using AAL (advanced atrac lossless)- high quality - 352kbps (bitrate of the lossy part), and I keep it on DVDs.

When I want to offer a copy for a friend or my girlfriend, I use this backup: transferring a complete LP record (60 min of music) to 80 min regular MD with MZ-RH1 takes less than one minute: and you obtain a tip top quality recording !

for French md lovers, the cheapest way to buy 1GB hiMd are:

http://www.busiboutique.com/cgi-bin/shopdi...catalogid=57651

(shipping 8 €)

http://www.e-avantage.com/product_info.php...ducts_id=180017

(shipping 6€)

Edited by garcou

Hi everybody.

I've made several sound tests from md105 and 133 with my MZ-RH700 and Sony ECM DS70P microphone. Only when the disk is introduced, when the deck read to memory and when they music is playing.

The problem is the limit to upload files to this forum.

Regards!.

Hi garcou, nice to have you chiming in! (would be nice if Kain_ would do so too wink.gif )

I can't say anything about the MD-105FX as I never listened to it. Nevertheless, aluminum body case worth every penny. The intec 275 series (and the MD-133) is pretty expensive but I managed to have a good deal with my local retailer and i'm really enjoying it at the moment. No regret.

Hi Wizard.

Yes. And one more difference. When I take the second test (reading to memory), md-105fx made the memory buffering operation around the 2 minute and 20 seconds. But md-133 made it later (I think remember that around the 6 minute).

I think that Onkyo must highlights the differences between both in the technical brochure.

• 4 years later...