More Love For MD

Rate this topic

bluecrab

I recently put my foot down and, totally ignoring any possible WAF, replaced my Marantz PM-68 Int. Amp. with a NAD C372. The NAD obstinately refused to be friendly with my Technics SH-GE70 EQ for a while, but finally agreed to shake hands and be pals.

Minidisc now sounds better than ever. Truly near-CD. In fact, good MD is far better than some CDs. (Not news, I suppose.) The downside: Flaws are exposed. Older ATRAC versions are audibly inferior to newer ones. I'll have to re-record some MDs.

Oh, and even LP2 (via Type S) sounded very good - if the source was good to begin with.

This is great, I'm in love all over again! :-)

Interesting. I have been wondering if it was my imagination - but it seems possible that the CD in the D400 beats my Sony CE375 5-disk changer for sound quality. Does that sound reasonable?

It does sound reasonable, although I do not have a CE375 to compare. I actually tried two CD sources. One was the MXD-D400 and the other was a a Sherwood CD-7080R, with its dual Burr-Brown DACs. That's no contest, the D400's CD player is all right, but out of its league vs. the Sherwood. However, IMO the D400's CD is better than some - my Aiwa XC-RW700, for example. It might be interesting to take a look at the specs for the CE375 and the D400 and see how they compare.