Looking For a Mic Any Ideas?

Rate this topic

azanshin

I am looking for a good quality but cheap mic to record vocals and instruments

So far the Sony ECM MS907 - Microphone has caught my eye Sony ECM MS907

Does anyone know of a cheaper alternative or a better microphone for a cheaper price?

I am looking for a mic around that size something you can hold .

Thanks in advanced

When considering a microphone, the words 'good quality' and 'cheap' just don't go together. If you want high quality recording results, the minidisc is a very good choice as a recording medium but, you must also have a high quality microphone... period. Remember that all audio begins and end as an analog signal...microphones and loudspeakers are analog devices. (Actually they are pretty much the same device operating in reverse of each other.) In exactly the same way that cheap speakers always sound like cheap speakers, a cheap microphone will always result in a low quality recording. The microphone is the piece of equipment where the analog signal is initially generated. Resolve yourself to the fact that you just can't cut corners with this first and critical link in the recording process. It makes more sense to record onto cassette tape with a great microphone than onto Hi-MD minidisc in PCM with a cheap microphone.

The ECM-MS907 is a bit of a toy...not bad to carry around in a bag or pocket for when the unexpected pops up, but it doesn't produce the rich analog audio signal worthy of the minidisc. I started out with that microphone but, soon followed the advice of friends in the recording business and spent a really quite modest $225 for an AudioTechnica AT822 stereo condenser mike.

The A-B comparison with the Sony 907 immediately made me forget about the money I spent on the AT. Every time I record with that microphone I am super pleased with the results and couldn't care less how much it cost. I am now considering an upgrade to a much finer field microphone, the Shure VP88...$700.00. That makes $225.00 seem downright 'cheap'. Good luck.

I think with microphones, there is a difference between cheap and inexpensive. All of this depends on which medium you're recording onto, what kind of inputs, does it have phantom power, what are you recording, etc. I'll put my $200 M-Audio Luna condenser mic AND/OR my $60 MXL 990 condenser mic up against a bunch of much more expensive mics, and you'd be surprised at how little difference there is. CHEAP typically describes something of low quality that's made cheaply and without care. INEXPENSIVE doesn't necessarily mean bad quality. What are you recording onto, though? The mics I've listed I use for recording on a computer, as my portable MD Recorder doesn't supply phantom power or have an XLR connection. If you want evidence that inexpensive isn't always cheap, read greenmachine's DIY stereo condenser electret and his battery box guides. These are two products that outperform products sold for 10 times as much as you might pay for the parts required.

Check out Greenmachines mics if you are in Europe, I've been using one of his mics and they've served me very well.

If you are in the States or Canada then try Church Audio's handmade mics.

Not wishing to repeat previous posts but everything starts with you mics so if you want a good dynamic range then forget

those cheap and nasty Sony mics.......You get what you pay for....both of the above suggestions will get you a very good deal.

David.

Check out Greenmachines mics if you are in Europe, I've been using one of his mics and they've served me very well.

If you are in the States or Canada then try Church Audio's handmade mics.

Not wishing to repeat previous posts but everything starts with you mics so if you want a good dynamic range then forget

those cheap and nasty Sony mics.......You get what you pay for....both of the above suggestions will get you a very good deal.

David.

Thank you all for your information and quick replys. It is nice to see that there is still a mini disc user base and am not on my own lol.

From the information you guys have told me I am looking at the Sony MS957. I am in the UK if that helps