Standalone SonicStage 4.2 and 4.3 installers

Rate this topic

Avrin

Here are standalone installation packages for SonicStage 4.2.02 for Windows 2000 and XP (34.49 Mb) and 4.3.01 for Windows Vista (38.13 Mb). Both packages contain original SONY components only, with the original installer and slightly modified scripts.

What has been changed, compared to original VAIO versions:

1. System prerequisites (DirectX 9.0c, Windows Media Format 9.0, Windows Media Format 9.5, and Microsoft Data Access Components 2.5) are removed. This allowed to decrease package sizes by ~55 Mb.
  2. SONY CONNECT STORE support is no longer installed.
  3. SonicStage Security Update and the latest available version of Personal Audio Drivers are now installed automatically. The 4.2.02 package also installs Minidisc Simple Burner 2.0.05 (you may cancel its installation, if you don’t want it).
  4. The VAIO support link in the Help menu is replaced with a link to Minidisc Community Forums.

Download links:

SonicStage 4.2.02 for Windows 2000 and XP

SonicStage 4.3.01 for Windows Vista

ADDED: Latest PxEngine update for those who have problems burning CDs in SonicStage

ADDED: Some nice skins for SonicStage Simple Mode taken from the OpenMG Jukebox 2.2 installation package

But those who want the best version currently available - look for it in Post #5.

Edited by Avrin

And now for some experimental stuff. I have rearranged the installation package for SonicStage 4.3.01, replacing the original patched and glitchy OpenMG 4.7 with a more stable version 5.0, taken from Japanese SonicStage 4.4. This should make actually made SonicStage 4.3.01 a bit more stable. The new installation package works with Windows 2000/XP/Vista.

Those who want, may download this "Ultimate" version here.

The PxEngine update from the first message is still recommended for modern drives/media.

And the skins still work with this version.

Edited by Avrin

Some users from a Russian forum report that the experimental "ultimate" 4.3 version is even more stable than the original 4.2. I've been using it for several days already, and had no problems whatsoever, except that the System Information Restore Tool can't connect to the Internet for some reason (not that I need it). But installing the full original VAIO version 4.2 again showed that its respective tool is also unable to connect.

Edited by Avrin

The more I look at the connection problem (in official versions 4.2-5.1), the more it seems to me that the authentication server used by the Restore Tool is finally down for good. As promised. So, if you have your keys damaged, the only way to get the program working again is to reinstall it. If your have protected files - you may kiss them goodbye.

So, if you are uploading your own reсordings, don't forget to run the File Conversion Tool to remove copy protection from them immediately after uploading.

The more I look at the connection problem (in official versions 4.2-5.1), the more it seems to me that the authentication server used by the Restore Tool is finally down for good. As promised. So, if you have your keys damaged, the only way to get the program working again is to reinstall it. If your have protected files - you may kiss them goodbye.

So, if you are uploading your own reсordings, don't forget to run the File Conversion Tool to remove copy protection from them immediately after uploading.

I asked about this a while back, and no answer there was. But the announcement from Sony seemed to say that this authentication server died on 31/12/08.

The question that is not clear to me is: why should this affect anything except DRM-downloaded tunes from the Connect Store?

I recall a whole hassle when I tried to replace that URL in my system using raintheory's tweak #2(?) and decided that it was better left alone. If you are saying that server would revive the keys in a standard installation of Sonic Stage that "protect" the legitimately uploaded .oma files (from MD TO sonicstage) then I agree it's really crappy that they don't support this function.

However I recall that your prior posting gave some sort of clue to finding the keys. Maybe the real trick is making sure there is a backup copy of them that's there to restore. Then you might not need the server?

Backup keys are only created after the Restore Tool has successfully authenticated with the server. So, there is no way to create them anymore. But, as long as you have no protected files, you should have no problem reinstalling the program when keys are lost or damaged. Just avoid using SonicStage for storing your protected uploads for a long time - unprotect them as soon as you have them on your PC.

The question that is not clear to me is: why should this affect anything except DRM-downloaded tunes from the Connect Store?

This may seem really stupid, but all OpenMG files are actually encrypted. Basically, there seem to be three types of encryption:

1. Permanent. Applied by SONY. It can not be removed by the user with any conversion tool. This one is used for files purchased from Connect, Mora, etc.

2. Removable. Applied by older versions of SS (and newer ones, if the corresponding option is selected) to files ripped from CDs. Also applied by all versions to files uploaded from units. This one can be removed by the user using the File Conversion Tool on the same machine.

3. Dummy. Applied by later versions of SS to "unprotected" files. Used to provide compatibility with ATRAC units, which can only play back encrypted content.

So, you need your original/reauthenticated keys to play back tracks of types 1 and 2, and to convert tracks of type 2 to type 3. But you also need a set of (some) keys to play back tracks of type 3. You get such a set of keys when the program is installed.

Edited by Avrin

Thanks. All much as I would expect. The oddity is #3. When I get back from a trip (or maybe sooner if I can get and stay online where I'm going) I plan to bring this up with the folks in that Linux HiMD project.

Why odd? Because any machine can play back the disks, so therefore embedded in the disk or machine or both is information that enables decryption of that dummy key.

The reading I have done so far indicates that there is a diskID somewhere inaccessible on a HiMD, with special USB/SCSI commands to read and write it, and this is used as the key for encrypting the disk. This in turn explains how Sony Media Services are able to rescue some disks if you send them in.

The project (Adrian G.'s team - "cbmuser") is attacking HiMD on this basis. Presumably NetMD has the same encryption? I figure you will know this small nugget - they haven't started on the (more difficult, because all known access methods are locked to Windoze) task of decoding/encoding SP/LP2/LP4.

Cheers

Stephen

Why odd? Because any machine can play back the disks, so therefore embedded in the disk or machine or both is information that enables decryption of that dummy key.

IIRC, the person who claimed to have reverse engineered the OpenMG protection, said that any OpenMG file by itself contains all keys needed to fully decrypt its content. So, it seems that SS uses keys for control only, and not for any actual decryption.

First off, I want to thank Avrin for the "Ultimate Vista version" and for the most part solving my problems. I had been battling for 3 straight evenings trying to get my mini disc loaded w/ a 5 cd lecture CD on Calmer Parenting.

I have a MZ-NE410 that I bought several years ago. I loaded 5 of my favorite CD's on it when I first got it and I used Win XP pre service packs to do it. I am guessing 2002 time frame. I used it on and off for years on that same disc. To this day I only use it when I cut the grass as the palm TX is what I use now.

The wife wanted to be able to listen to these Parenting CDs all at once in one easy device that she could use in the house, in the car and on walks, continuing where she left off. Instead of buying her an ipod or equivalent, we decide to save a few $$$ and resurrect the Walkman. So I ordered 5 more discs and I tried to load the CD's w/ my Sonic Stage 1.5 on my win XP PC. Had to re-install the SW as it did not work (currently under XP SP2) After I did this, the PC would crash and reboot every time I tried to transfer to the 410. Decided to try SS 1.5 on my Vista laptop. Found out that I needed new SW for this laptop from Sony Website so I loaded Sony's SS 4.3 and all patches and drivers. I got about 1 of the 5 cd's transferred to the 410 but when I transferred too many files at once or files larger than 3 minutes, the laptop would crash and give the BSOD w/ the IRQL_less_ than_ or_equal message, or something like that. It was hit or miss when it would happen. It would take forever to convert the file and longer to transfer it. I would try them one file at a time. Finally when I got to the 3rd CD, it would no longer transfer files. I can't tell you how many hours I spent on this. I almost gave into an Ipod!

I searched for an alternate SW and I remember reading about using Nero instead years back. I came across this forum and tried your ultimate version this morning on my Vista Laptop and as luck would have it, it transferred the remaining 3 CDs in a heartbeat and I had only one crash with the BSOD and the same message as before. No biggy as one time in 3 cd's is better than almost on ever file transfer before this. I want to try this version on my XP PC to see how it work there. Again, thanks fort all you hard work and effort to help us here. Your all in one package is pretty slick. :drinks:

Take Care

MrFixit

Westminster CA

Edited by mrfixit454

I came across this forum and tried your ultimate version this morning on my Vista Laptop and as luck would have it, it transferred the remaining 3 CDs in a heartbeat and I had only one crash with the BSOD and the same message as before. No biggy as one time in 3 cd's is better than almost on ever file transfer before this.

Such crashes are still possible, and there is no way to avoid them, since the new drivers (used for SonicStage 4.4) are basically the old 4.0 ones repackaged by SONY with some new installation scripts. But the new OpenMG "kernel" is actually updated, which makes it more stable, and prone to less conflicts with the drivers.

Edited by Avrin

Such crashes are still possible, and there is no way to avoid them, since the new drivers (used for SonicStage 4.4) are basically the old 4.0 ones repackaged by SONY with some new installation scripts. But the new OpenMG "kernel" is actually updated, which makes it more stable, and prone to less conflicts with the drivers.

I just this second used the 4.2 installer after trying for WEEKS (no im not exaggerating) to find a download for 4.3 that worked... but the same error came up... "Cannot find OpenMG secure module. Exiting Sonicstage" Does anybody know what i can do to get the god damn download to work properly? cause it downloads, restarts and appears to be working then that happens time and time again!

Are you logged in as the local Administrator when installing? This is required for proper installation.

You may also try the following suggestions:

1. Download and run this official SonicStage uninstaller: http://depositfiles.com/files/m5i85dmrg - it is from the Japanese version 4.4, so on the first screen press the left button, and on the second screen set the lower radion button, and also press the left button. This is supposed to remove all SonicStage/OpenMG files, and their installation records. I strongly recommend using a good registry cleaner after that. A trial version of Tune Up 2008 may help: http://www.tune-up.com/download/tu2008/

2. Install the experimental "ultimate" version of SonicStage 4.3 from Post #5 here. It contains OpenMG 5.0, which seems to install more reliably in place of other versions.

Edited by Avrin

• 1 month later...

The original 4.3 wasn't stable at all. BTW, links in that thread need some updating, for those who want to use "official" versions. New links with some additions:

Europe: http://sonicstage.update.sony.net/v4301/AE...geInstaller.exe

U.S.: http://sonicstage.update.sony.net/v4301/US...geInstaller.exe

Canada: http://sonicstage.update.sony.net/v4301/CA...geInstaller.exe

Japan: no longer available for download, replaced with 4.4 available from http://sonicstage.update.sony.net/v4400/JP...geInstaller.exe

Asia-Pacific: http://sonicstage.update.sony.net/v4301/GA...geInstaller.exe

Latin America: http://sonicstage.update.sony.net/v4301/LA...geInstaller.exe

Overseas (JEB): http://sonicstage.update.sony.net/v4301/JE...geInstaller.exe

Edited by Avrin