Sony Insider Forums
cbmuser

HiMD Transfer for Linux, working

Rate this question

Question

Hi folks,

we have unveiled the encrpyption of MP3s on Sony HiMD-Walkman, soon we'll have a transfer software for linux. We're already able to transfer tracks off the HiMD to the PC, download to HiMD won't take so much anymore (we already know how). Please see our wiki:

<https://wiki.physik.fu-berlin.de/linux-minidisc/>

Oh, and no, it's not a fake, it's really working :).

Edit: It would be nice, if anyone here with some programming knowledge would be willing to join and help us !!

Adrian

Edited by cbmuser

233 answers to this question

Right. There's only one set of keys for a given install. So you can move .oma files around and they'll still play. Even with Windows mediaplayer and such.

If all your files have headers exactly the same length you may get away with this. But there's no reason a priori why they should.

I think if one wrote a simple utility to copy data into a known header, then the only difficult bit is convincing something to rewrite the audio data back into the file. After that, no encryption. That's what the File Conversion Tool (FCT) does. The only question is whether the FCT insists on the data matching the install. If not, its possible someone might patch the FCT to ignore.

If all your files have headers exactly the same length you may get away with this. But there's no reason a priori why they should.

Actually, now that I think about it, the headers of the files I played around with WERE the same exact length. I can't remember whether protected and unprotected OMA files had different-length track headers, but the protected files certainly had more "code" in the header (again, most likely encryption keys, etc.)

If tracks have names with same number of characters (and other metadata such as artist, album, date/time) then it will work. Requires a fair amount of discipline to do reliably. But possible.

i know this is probably a dead thread now, but is the current build of QHiMDTransfer from 17 December 2016 allowing true SP downloads to devices - or do we still need to use the python script downloadhack.py?

15 minutes ago, adamski777 said:

i know this is probably a dead thread now, but is the current build of QHiMDTransfer from 17 December 2016 allowing true SP downloads to devices - or do we still need to use the python script downloadhack.py?

You should post these questions to the mailing list here: https://lists.fu-berlin.de/listinfo/linux-minidisc#subscribe

As for SP downloads, it should be possible to perform these downloads using "netmdcli" which is available on MacOS and Linux.

Don't know whether we currently have Windows builds for the CLI utilities.

Adrian