MD can live on - W7 in "XP compatability Mode"

Rate this topic

1kyle

Hi all

Great news for Windows 7 users who would like to use convienent applications like Simple Burner -- great to rip directly to MD without going through Sonic Stage or having to dual boot XP or use a Virtual Machine.

Microsoft will make a W7 "XP compatability" mode version avaliable for download this week as a beta (means you'll have 1 YEAR of FREE testing before you actually need to buy Windows 7).

This works essentially by having an "embedded" Virtual PC in W7. But unlike having to install Virtual machine software and define a Virtual machine configuration this will work by you being able to install the applications directly from the Windows 7 desktop.

It won't work for TV / Video / intensive games but for things like MD, older printers and scanners etc etc it'll run fine.

I hope to try it later this week. (SIMPLE BURNER BTW does currently work on an XP virtual machine running under Windows 7 but this new approach from Microsoft looks great).

Here's one link

http://www.sevenforums.com/news/8091-windo...e-download.html

Cheers

-K

Edited by 1kyle

Microsoft has been offering VirtualPC for free, although one would have to provide a separate XP license. XP mode is pretty much the same (VirtualPC + XP), but a bit more streamlined into the main OS (7). Also, XP mode is only available in Windows 7 pro and up, not on Home Premium (the version that will be more commonly pre-installed on home PCs) or below. XP mode requires processors that have hardware virtualization feature (Intel VT or AMD-V), something to be aware of since many older and low-end machines have processors that don't have this feature or have BIOS that doesn't support the feature.

Microsoft has been offering VirtualPC for free, although one would have to provide a separate XP license. XP mode is pretty much the same (VirtualPC + XP), but a bit more streamlined into the main OS (7). Also, XP mode is only available in Windows 7 pro and up, not on Home Premium (the version that will be more commonly pre-installed on home PCs) or below. XP mode requires processors that have hardware virtualization feature (Intel VT or AMD-V), something to be aware of since many older and low-end machines have processors that don't have this feature or have BIOS that doesn't support the feature.

Hi there

Virtual PC is available now for free and there are ways to create Virtual machines so you can run vmplayer for free (without having to install vmware workstation).

However the "XP" compatability mode makes it a lot easier -- and I was adressing the post primarily to people who DO have the newer hardware and still want to run MD programs such as Simple Burner. If you've got a lot of older hardware the chances are you are still running XP so the issue is a moot point anyway.

BUT if you ARE upgrading your hardware you'll have your older XP license in any case so that shouldn't be an issue either.

(BTW of course you can run VMWARE workstation WITHOUT INTEL VT) but then you can only install 32 bit mode Guest OS'es - not a problem if you want XP.

As for the "Home Premium" -- I don't think this will be such a huge seller as some really essential features as RDP (Remote desktop) aren't available. You can RDP from W7 home premium as a CLIENT computer but if you want to CONNECT to a computer running W7 home premium then you can't do it -- you'll need at least the "Professional" version in any case.

I rather suspect the "Professional" version will be the biggest seller once people realize how some "essential features" are missing.

Still the trial version is based on "Ultimate" which has everything in it so still worth it for a year -- a lot can happen in this time.

Cheers

-K

Microsoft's Virtial PC has no USB support, so it is useless for MD people.

And I wouldn't be very optimistic about the new "XP compatibility" mode in W7. They won't be making full hardware/driver compatibility for older devices.

Edited by Avrin

Well, i was thinking the same about the new XP mode under W7, but if at last it doesn't have support to usb we still have other programs as VirtuaBox that works perfectly and have support to usb (I have tried SimpleBurner and SS and works perfectly).

But, after all, SonicStage works perfectly under W7, so no problem (well, at least you use simpleburner :P)

Well, i was thinking the same about the new XP mode under W7, but if at last it doesn't have support to usb we still have other programs as VirtuaBox that works perfectly and have support to usb (I have tried SimpleBurner and SS and works perfectly).

But, after all, SonicStage works perfectly under W7, so no problem (well, at least you use simpleburner :P)

Hi all

The Windows "XP" compatability mode includes an XP virtual machine so no need of a separate license.

Download from here -- you need both the virtual PC and the XP VM image.

USB etc support -- no problem now and it's FREE unlike VMWARE and you also don't need another XP license.

Your CPU needs to be VT enabled to run this -- the good thing about comapatability mode is you don't need to build a separate Virtual Machine, configure it and install the Guest OS. This is all done automatically in the "XP compatability mode".

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

enjoy

cheers

-K

Edited by 1kyle