Sony Chairman, CEO Howard Stringer shares his thoughts on Sony's future

contactmda

Good thinking. But nooooooo... they thought they'd be able to beat Apple at the DRM game.

There's still time to make all MD's FLAC and MP3-compatible, Mr. Stringer.

Notice how he says that "some people at Sony may not like" the new way of doing things. I wonder if a certain group of samurai are thinking of hiring a band of Ninja assassins... :P

Edited by Syrius

Stringer on music: "If we had gone with open technology from the start, I think we probably would have beaten Apple". Read article here.

Nope, they'll never turn the Sony ship around in time to avoid the rocks...

Sony Pics CEO Laymon Lynton says he "doesn't see anything good having come from the Internet" Spotted on BoingBoingGadgets

Sony are over ten years too late to clean out the dead wood who held on to a failing business model and doomed the company.

I'm just looking through the old posts on these boards over those years and seeing some pretty clear warnings and good advice to Sony from customers who were fans of their product when it had the lead in portable digital players (MD still has the lead for indie bands who live record and in sound quality for audiophiles). Heck, the board gurus even did their own hacks and built software to do what Sony should have in the first place.

This comment by a Sony CEO shows that Sony were/are too dumb to survive, all the signs and omens were on his useless "internet" years before Sony even noticed they were losing the digital market, members of this forum contacted Sony insiders practically pleading with them to pass on the advice that DRM and non-Open Source would be the death of a great product but were only able to see progress too-little-too-late. Sony kept a stranglehold on its dwindling fanbase by drip-feeding less restrictive "features" instead of opening up native-mp3 and allowing DRM free uploads/downloads which if done early enough would have captured the market for it's future flash players (they've always had better sound and build quality).

Sony haven't learned, and unless Stringer makes fools like CEO Laymon Lynton walk the plank they're well and truly sunk.

Edited by Karlos

Nice read, but I'd love to hear far more strategy and less broad brush talk from Sir Howie.

If I'm not mistaken, based on what he's said, he seems to think that collaborating with others on DRM is 'open' as opposed to developing their own DRM in-house. That's fine, but I don't regard that as open.

To me it's refreshing to see that the internet has and continues to shape technology, and it would be interesting to see if 'open' translates to really open source stuff, like FLAC and Ogg Vorbis (and removable batteries... storage...).

That stuff is never discussed and I seemed to recall Sony referring to Windows Media as more 'open' in the past (open - to Sony - meaning popularized, presumably).

Of course I'm just talking about audio and Sony has their finger in many pies, but all I can say now is what happened to Panasonic in audio...and what happened to Sony? And Sharp? Talk about a severe resistance to change. In my eyes, all of those could run rings around what Apple is doing now (which has so much room for improvement). Instead the audio world is so stagnant and companies that once made awesome technology have almost no retail presence in the categories they were once strong in. What's worse is none are really innovating or looking out into the future.