Playstation 3 imports music in ATRAC SP

Rate this topic

Sony_Fan

I just imported a Michael Jackson CD into my PS3 in ATRAC SP format. It sounds clear and crisp, almost identical to CD quality. Very interesting, and it imported in rapid speed, not real time. I'm going to see if I can transfer the music on my PS3 to my RH1.

Awesome. I'm glad to see you're inspired to keep using your RH1. Stay with us, Chris.

I just imported a Michael Jackson CD into my PS3 in ATRAC SP format. It sounds clear and crisp, almost identical to CD quality. Very interesting, and it imported in rapid speed, not real time. I'm going to see if I can transfer the music on my PS3 to my RH1.

Well done, Chris. Actually I thought you mentioned the PS a long time ago, hadn't realised that you had only done x1 recording before. The linux-minidisc group has managed the same feat last week as this, with an RH1, and the ATRAC code is being added to ffmpeg as we speak.

This raises some interesting question. I know nada about PS3.

- In what sense is it "in" the PlayStation?

- Recorded on disk?

- Do we know in exactly what format?

- Can you send that file anywhere useful?

- Do you know the file size, to verify that it is big enough to be ATRAC (on its own that is still not proof, as we know from NetMD transfers which are LP2 padded with blanks to make "fake" SP)?

Cheers

No other device or software can import at ATRAC SP, except the Playstation 3, and no one else replies? I thought this would be big news.

Not news because it's false. There is not even a setting for 292kbps SP Atrac on the PS3. Period. The only bitrates available on the PS3 are Atrac3+ bitrates and LP2 (132kbps Atrac3).

Not news because it's false. There is not even a setting for 292kbps SP Atrac on the PS3. Period. The only bitrates available on the PS3 are Atrac3+ bitrates and LP2 (132kbps Atrac3).

Oh crap, my mistake. I don't know why I thought ATRAC SP was 320kbps. That's what the Playstation 3 has. It has a wide range of importing bitrates from 48 - 352. But it still sounds great, CD quality, better than the Windows Media Audio importing on the Xbox 360. And the PS3 has the dynamic normalizer, so all music is played back at the same volume, just like the RH1. There's no denying, Sony is still pushing ATRAC with the PS3.

I still think it's great you're experimenting. Take pride in your work for its own sake, not kudos. Beyond that, I can't get excited about it because I'm not that into console systems, less so Sony's. My wife got me a Wii for Christmas and she uses it more than I do, although that's changing a little. I do like the balance games in Wii Fit (I'm a champion in tightrope and getting better at ski slolom and jump.)

About the only thing that might interest me on a PS3 is being able to run Linux on a recent RISC-based CPU.

There's no denying, Sony is still pushing ATRAC with the PS3.

Err, more like a legacy leftover. The PS3 was developed and released before Sony decided to cut-off Atrac outside Japan. The PS3 doesn't even support Atrac Advance Lossless, something that you would think they would add if they're still "pushing" Atrac.

Given that ATRAC uses relatively little computing power versus some other codecs (unless things have changed) Sony still uses it both on the PSP (I think mandatory for games and movies) and the PS3 (optional for games). Makes sense since some games need all the processing time they need from the CPU and GPU.

The PSP has been able to play ATRAC 3 Plus since the beginning, as well. Too bad you must use SonicStage, rather than drag and drop. Even for non-encrypted files!

Given that ATRAC uses relatively little computing power versus some other codecs (unless things have changed) Sony still uses it both on the PSP (I think mandatory for games and movies) and the PS3 (optional for games). Makes sense since some games need all the processing time they need from the CPU and GPU.

The PSP has been able to play ATRAC 3 Plus since the beginning, as well. Too bad you must use SonicStage, rather than drag and drop. Even for non-encrypted files!

There's a minor problem. **every** Atrac3+ file is encrypted. And needs to be so to be read by the Playstation or MD hardware. When you say "unencrypted" you may mean, effectively, those files with known encryption (ie encrypted with zero or known key). Atrac 3, not so.