SonicStage not playing my recordings

Rate this topic

bstavropoulos

Hi everyone. I am new here. I have a MZ-RH1 on which i have done lots of recordings, both interviews (for work) and live music performances by me and others (not for work, but very valuable to me). I have no bought or ripped recordings. they are all my own work.

I recently obtained a new computer. I copied all my files to this new computer and installed SS 4.3 Connect, which is what I had on my old computer. The original files are still there on my old computer.

Trying to play any of my recordings except those I had specifically converted to .wav recording, I now get this message:

"Cannot play this track because its licensing information cannot be retrieved. For more information, contact the source from which you received this track. (000084e0)"

I want to restore these recordings to their normal playable state. What should I do now?

If this is a common problem and there is already a post somewhere, please just point me to it. I have looked but could not find a solution.

Welcom to the forums!

This IS a common problem. SonicStage copy-protects your recordings when uploading from the unit. To unprotect them, simply run the SonicStage File Conversion Tool on your old computer with the Add copy protection box unchecked, and it will create unprotected copies of all your files, which can then be copied and played anywhere you like.

The usual SonicStage Backup/Restore technique for copying files between computers no longer works, since the authentication server used for the process is down from the beginning of this year.

In the future, remove copy protection (by running the File Conversion Tool) as soon as you upload your recordings. This may save you from a lot of trouble.

Edited by Avrin

The usual SonicStage Backup/Restore technique for copying files between computers no longer works, since the authentication server used for the process is down from the beginning of this year.

I'm not sure you can't do the SS backup/restore thing, even if the authentication server is down. I have done several backups/restores to a different computer this year (the last about a week ago), and everything still seems to work.

Obviously, the backup/restore procedure cannot now be recommended as a reliable way of archiving /copying files between computers, but there at least seems to be some life it it.

Edited by Barock

Now this is strange. Just had my keys damaged due to a thorough registry cleanup. SonicStage offered to run the System Information Restore Tool, the tool promptly connected to restore.openmg.com, and everything worked! Is the server actually back?

I'm not a a rush to find out, but Sony probably figured out that the server's absence was going to cost them more in support and goodwill than the money saved. Let's hope so. Perhaps you could explain how it is supposed to work and I will deliberately crash one of my machines (not the one with all the ATRAC stuff on it).

I'm not a a rush to find out, but Sony probably figured out that the server's absence was going to cost them more in support and goodwill than the money saved. Let's hope so. Perhaps you could explain how it is supposed to work and I will deliberately crash one of my machines (not the one with all the ATRAC stuff on it).

The easiest way to crash your SonicStage installation is to use Trial-Reset 3.4 Final. It searches for registry keys of various trial protection mechanisms, masquerading themselves as "normal" CLSIDs, and then allows to delete them. SonicStage uses this mechanism to store your key in the registry. It creates a fake CLSID key that looks as follows:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX}]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX}\InprocServer32]
@="ole32.dll"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX}\MiscStatus]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX}\MiscStatus\1]
@="YYYYYYYY"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX}\TypeLib]
@="{ZZZZZZZZ-ZZZZ-ZZZZ-ZZZZ-ZZZZZZZZZZZZ}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX}\Version]
@="1"[/code]

where XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX, YYYYYYYY, and ZZZZZZZZ-ZZZZ-ZZZZ-ZZZZ-ZZZZZZZZZZZZ are random HEX-codes either generated during installation, or obtained during authentication with the server. Deleting this key makes SonicStage want to authenticate. But be really careful, since there are lots of genuine CLSIDs that look very similar (Trial-Reset doesn't offer to delete them).

Edited by Avrin

The easiest way to crash your SonicStage installation is to use Trial-Reset 3.4 Final. It searches for registry keys of various trial protection mechanisms, masquerading themselves as "normal" CLSIDs, and then allows to delete them. SonicStage uses this mechanism to store your key in the registry. It creates a fake CLSID key that looks as follows:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX}]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX}\InprocServer32]
@="ole32.dll"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX}\MiscStatus]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX}\MiscStatus\1]
@="YYYYYYYY"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX}\TypeLib]
@="{ZZZZZZZZ-ZZZZ-ZZZZ-ZZZZ-ZZZZZZZZZZZZ}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX}\Version]
@="1"[/code]

where XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX, YYYYYYYY, and ZZZZZZZZ-ZZZZ-ZZZZ-ZZZZ-ZZZZZZZZZZZZ are random HEX-codes either generated during installation, or obtained during authentication with the server. Deleting this key makes SonicStage want to authenticate. But be really careful, since there are lots of genuine CLSIDs that look very similar (Trial-Reset doesn't offer to delete them).

Thanks... I wasn't looking quite so much for advice on how to crash it (I know how to do that!), as much as how to use the backup tool, and how restore and re-authentication is supposed to work.

Specifically then:

1. is it necessary to run the backup tool?

2. can that be done without physically backing up all the media? ie can I backup ONLY the keys???

3. what does a restore do, and how do the keys get restore, or rebuilt?

I realise this is a complex and never ending series of questions... but struggling for enlightenment.

Thanks

1. No, you don't need to run the Backup Tool to restore your keys. Just run the System Information Restore Tool (C:\Program Files\Sony\SonicStage\Ojbsir.exe).

2. Again, no. Although the Backup Tool was initially supposed have a function to backup/restore only the keys - you can still see this, if you open OjbSirRes.dll using a resource editor.

3. Well... it restores information. The music files are restored from the folder they were backed up to, and the keys are also restored from the backup folder, but the server is used in some way during the process.

P.S. The Restore Tool on my machine is once again unable to connect to the server. Probably as a result of upgrading to 4.3.02.

UPDATE: Restoring version 4.3.01 did not help. Is the server down again?

Edited by Avrin

• 2 years later...

I just tried it myself and got as far as "Authentication complete. You may now disconnect from the Internet" or words to that effect. So I suspect you have some local problem with connections. Meaning that the server is still (as far as I can see) functional.

Stephen