Transferring audio data from recorder to computer

Rate this topic

brakhage

Dear all,

A long time ago, I was a important MD (one of the marvellous Aiwa first models) user which I used to record shows.

But well, I used to buy a DAT recorder, then materials to tape directly on my computer and put my MDs in a box.

But today, I would like to transfer my MD to my computer, as I would like to listen to them.

So, I checked the minidisc.org website, but didn't find exactly what I want.

Well, I don't want to pay a lot of money to a new unit which I won't use after my transfers, so a used unit will be great.

I checked a lot of user manual, and if I correctly understood, the only unit abble to do a direct transfer is the MZ-RH1/M200. Is this correct ?

Is there any other HiMD unit that do the same, but which I could pay for less money ?

Is there any way to do the same thing with a NetMD ?

Thanks for your help !

All the best,

Stan

Bad news, I'm afraid. Only the RH1/M200 will do what you want, ie. upload old recordings. The other (cheaper) Hi-MD recorders will upload their own recordings in the newer Hi-MD formats, but sadly not old (legacy) recordings. Net-MD recorders and older units won't upload anything at all...

Bad news, I'm afraid. Only the RH1/M200 will do what you want, ie. upload old recordings. The other (cheaper) Hi-MD recorders will upload their own recordings in the newer Hi-MD formats, but sadly not old (legacy) recordings. Net-MD recorders and older units won't upload anything at all...

Well, it is what I supposed while reading users manuals.

Ok, so if I want to get my old MD recordings, I have no choice then

Thank you very much for your reply !

You can also buy an MD deck with optical out, probably for $50-$100 if you are lucky. This will allow you to send via the optical channel to your PC, at playback speed only of course. You'll need either a dongle for optical->USB or a sound card with optical input that you can plug into your PC, I think. Not sure about Macs whether they have any (direct) optical i/o.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe several Macs have minitos connectors--the same ones that are on MD portables.

You can also buy an MD deck with optical out, probably for $50-$100 if you are lucky. This will allow you to send via the optical channel to your PC, at playback speed only of course. You'll need either a dongle for optical->USB or a sound card with optical input that you can plug into your PC, I think. Not sure about Macs whether they have any (direct) optical i/o.

just do it the old fashioned way...

1/8th inch male to male audio cord.

plug one end to your md headphone jack and the other to your line in on your pc.

I use audacity for recording through my line in on my pc.

pRS1C-2265285w345.jpg

Edited by ceramiccactus