Looking for genuine pre-recorded Michael Jackson MDs

Rate this topic

Sony_Fan

That's right. I'm interested in any genuine pre-recorded Michael Jackson MDs that are out there. Looking for the MD albums:

- Off the wall

- Thriller

- BAD

- Dangerous

- HIStory 2-disc set

- Blood on the dance floor

- Invincible

Really curious to see what you guys have. Thanks.

I've seen these a lot on ebay lately--some commanded quite a premium price. The only exception to that is "Dangerous"--that one seems to be priced lower than the others.

That's right. I'm interested in any genuine pre-recorded Michael Jackson MDs that are out there. Looking for the MD albums:

- Off the wall

- Thriller

- BAD

- Dangerous

- HIStory 2-disc set

- Blood on the dance floor

- Invincible

Really curious to see what you guys have. Thanks.

*Raises hand*

I was lukewarm on him before. I find very little (not nothing, but still, very little) to like in his music. I would not spend money on it in any case; although I might allow some tracks to find their way into my collection of non-purchased music.

People are paying premium amounts for those MDs--but not fortunes. I see Pink Floyd MDs commanding higher successful sale prices.

Upon MJ's death, who wouldn't want prerecorded MJ MDs? Those *might* fetch a fortune now..

Have been bidding on affordable MDs of Thriller the past few months. I missed out on a few, still sealed, that went for about US$ 15 to 25. Michael had hardly finished his performance for Saint Peter, when the amount of offers for Thriller exploded.

Well, I guess I'll have to wait a little longer ... :mellow:

MJ has more good music than just the Thriller album. I really want his "Invincible" album on MD. It is rare and hard to find.

Agreed, but I have a special soft spot for Thriller. Before I really listened to this album, I thought of MJ as commercial garbage. The young tend to polarize I guess. These days I can get goosebumps from listening to tracks on Thriller.

If I come across Invincible on MD, I'll let you know.

Thanks. It looks like this:

41S8JZPS1EL._SS500_.jpg

I think all his albums are great, not so much "Blood on the Dance Floor" because it only has a few original songs and the rest are just mixes of older songs.

Edited by Chris G

I have the 'Blood on the Dance Floor'. I thought I have the 'Invinsible' album. I have to recheck my collection. I should have bought the 'Dangerous' album when I was in the UK in the 90s. Virgin and HMV always have stock and it was price between 15 to 18 quid a pop.

Apart from that, I also have a number of pre-recorded MDs which Im really proud to have and gathered wherever I can get them.

The original "Invincible" CD sounds like absolute crap. Full of compression, resampling, and clipping distortion (see here). I wonder about the MD (and whether it really exists).

Actually, the only two perfectly sounding MJ Epic albums were "Off The Wall" and "Thriller" (especially if you get their 1st Japanese issues with pre-emphasis). "Bad" is a bit compressed (though in no way to the extent modern CDs are), "Dangerous" is overcompressed to death, "HIStory" even more, and later stuff is simply unlistenable (including Special Editions of his earlier albums and "Thriller 25").

And I do remember the times when we were actually hunting for some tenth generation cassette copies of his albums here in the U.S.S.R.

Edited by Avrin

Ive checked my collection again and I do have the Invincible MD. I thought the sound was not too bad in my opinion. Im using the Sony MDSJE520, Yamaha AMP AX492 with Tannoy and Mordount Short speakers. Im trying to get the Dangerous Pre Recorded MDs and see how it sounds.

Ive seen a few on eBay.co.uk with regards to MJs albums. You guys should try your luck there if you are interested.

The original "Invincible" CD sounds like absolute crap. Full of compression, resampling, and clipping distortion (see here). I wonder about the MD (and whether it really exists).

Actually, the only two perfectly sounding MJ Epic albums were "Off The Wall" and "Thriller" (especially if you get their 1st Japanese issues with pre-emphasis). "Bad" is a bit compressed (though in no way to the extent modern CDs are), "Dangerous" is overcompressed to death, "HIStory" even more, and later stuff is simply unlistenable (including Special Editions of his earlier albums and "Thriller 25").

And I do remember the times when we were actually hunting for some tenth generation cassette copies of his albums here in the U.S.S.R.

I have to agree, the volume of Invincible is near 100db, when measured with MP3gain, so I'm not surprised there's clipping and distortion. But remember, MJ doesn't decided how loud or clear his CDs sound. But yeah, there's a huge obsession with recording companies today to make CDs louder and louder. This is why I don't like to compress loud CDs to LP2, because of the additional distortion it produces. What I usually do is rip the CDs to MP3, use MP3gain to lower the volume and it eliminates most clipping.

It's not even worth thinking about these...

...With Invincible it's about the same on eBay at this moment. Well, what goes up, must come down. Just a little patience maybe ...

I agree. I see them asking these prices, but I really haven't seen them be universally successful (check completed listings). Pink Floyd MDs are doing better than MJ MDs.

I think if there is no demand, they will probably lower their price. But the longer the wait, I would assume the price will go a bit higher every day.

There are people who will pay anything for anything. I just did a search of completed listings for the MD for Thriller. Most went for $15-$40 USD, but 3 were sold buy-it-now for $141.11 USD each from a seller in Italy.

There are people who will pay anything for anything. I just did a search of completed listings for the MD for Thriller. Most went for $15-$40 USD, but 3 were sold buy-it-now for $141.11 USD each from a seller in Italy.

Just basic economics of supply and demand, and MJ fanatics. :lol:

Just basic economics of supply and demand, and MJ fanatics. :lol:

Er, my point was that it is fairly arbitrary--nothing basic about it. Most of them went for fair (yet more than I would pay) prices, but some people are willing to pay what this Italy seller is charging (he still has some listed, too).

Chiming in late here, but I LOVE the Invincible album. To me anyone who bought that album is a TRUE MJ fan.. not all these people who are now caught up in the death-hype and didn't even realize the album existed. As far as pre-recorded MDs go, I never understood the appeal. Typically I find them to sound more flat than my own CD-to-MD transfers, and you can only have one album on the disc (I'm used to using LP2 that fits 2-3 sometimes). But whatever, I can understand it from the collecting standpoint.

Chiming in late here, but I LOVE the Invincible album. To me anyone who bought that album is a TRUE MJ fan.. not all these people who are now caught up in the death-hype and didn't even realize the album existed. As far as pre-recorded MDs go, I never understood the appeal. Typically I find them to sound more flat than my own CD-to-MD transfers, and you can only have one album on the disc (I'm used to using LP2 that fits 2-3 sometimes). But whatever, I can understand it from the collecting standpoint.

I totally agree on the music quality of Invincible. It is one of his best albums, unfortuny Thriller, Bad and Dangerous have gotten more attention since his death. Invincilble was his last full studio album and it should recieve more recognition than it has. Songs like: You rock my world, Butterflies, Hearbreaker, Cry, and 2000 watts are abreath of fresh air compared to the hip hop and alternative rock garbage radio stations play today.

Pink who???......whatever.

FYI, if you did bid for him you'd probably have to mail it to him as well. When I try to directly access that item from my local ebay (US), I'm directed to a page warning me it isn't available on ebay-US. I thought this was strange, as I have frequently adjusted my search settings to include all listings, even those not specifically shipping to the US, and have made successful purchases that way (after contacting the seller). I wonder if this is a new thing or if there are just some items I'm not seeing even that way.

AFAIK the only way to be sure to see everything on a particular Ebay is to go to that ebay (ebay.co.uk, ebay.de, ebay.ca, ebay.com) and sign in there. MyEbay is global but searches are not.

For example there are lots of listings on Ebay US I never see unless I try real hard. However there are so many vendors who point blank refuse to ship outside USA (and outside UPS!) and don't respond to emails, that it is often an uphill battle trying to buy anything that wasn't intended by the vendor to be shipped "internationally" (scary word, that).

HTH

AFAIK the only way to be sure to see everything on a particular Ebay is to go to that ebay (ebay.co.uk, ebay.de, ebay.ca, ebay.com) and sign in there. MyEbay is global but searches are not.

Simply clicking "Worldwide" isn't enough to show the items I get in my results. You have to go to advanced and choose "Located in" and select "Any Country/Any Region". This will even bring up results that don't specify they ship to your country. What I'm saying is there must be some separate classification that overrides that as well.

And yes, there are sellers that won't sell to me even if I ask politely and point out my 100+ transaction 100% rating, but they are the exception. I've since stopped trying to solicit these anyway because for some strange reason European sellers are unable to consistently get a reasonable shipping rate. Some have shipped to me very cheaply--for others the rate is ridiculous.

Simply clicking "Worldwide" isn't enough to show the items I get in my results. You have to go to advanced and choose "Located in" and select "Any Country/Any Region". This will even bring up results that don't specify they ship to your country.

In my experience saved searches WILL bring up the whole lot. But doing what you describe does NOT. Possibly ebay.com is different but I don't see why, seems the other behaviours are mostly symmetric.

In my experience saved searches WILL bring up the whole lot. But doing what you describe does NOT. Possibly ebay.com is different but I don't see why, seems the other behaviours are mostly symmetric.

These aren't mutually exclusive. In fact, that's the only way I can get that setting to stick--by using saved searches.