Is this, in effect, the "RH-2"?

Rate this topic

ozpeter

Am I right in observing that the D50 has optical out whereas the M10 does not?

Correct--nor optical input. I've read on other boards where they say "this is a deal breaker". With both USB and microSD card for data transfer, it hardly seems crucial. Optical input is certainly "nice" on a field recorder, but overkill, IMO. With no DRM and no proprietary storage media, considerations like "how do I get my content off of this stinkin' Sony lockbox?" is a thing of the past.

Why do I get the feeling that MD just exhaled its last breath for good?

DAT, Cassette and reel to reel still sell well, there is still life in MD as long as Onkyo still makes home decks, and newly found reserves get unearthed. There is still a lot of life left in MD, $ for $ and feature for feature, it can't be beat

JMHO

Bob

But doesn't this little device pretty much.. well.... beats it?

I guess you missed my pitch for an area where minidisc still has appeal:

I'm certainly not evangelizing MD as a recording format that can compete with today's alternatives. I am saying it still has an appeal that transcends its technical shortcomings. It's similar to what I hear from detractors of ebook-readers. They want to hold a book. I want to hold a disc. Minidisc is superior to CDs because their cartridge form offers them some protection from the environment. Minidiscs' size and capacity are just the right combination to act as a physical, tactile filing system for audio content. The physical/tactile part of this is a very important part of this equation for me. You should have the picture now that SD/MicroSD don't have these characteristics in my opinion.

From Defense Of MiniDisc's Appeal/Response to A440

Okay. That is for us fans. What about Joe Ipod-Lover in the street, or John Recording-Enthusiast?

It's been dead to Joe Ipod-Lover for years.

Yes, it is probably a nail in the coffin for John Recording-Enthusiast--unless he has a soft spot in his heart for the tactile features I mentioned.

Yes, it is probably a nail in the coffin for John Recording-Enthusiast--unless he has a soft spot in his heart for the tactile features I mentioned.
I record classical concerts for FM radio broadcast, and normally these days I use an Edirol R-44 four channel recorder. But for backup (in case the SDHC card goes dead, which is not completely unknown) I still connect up my RH-1 alongside it. Why?

- it's hardly anything else to carry.

- it sits nicely on the tabletop with the display clearly visible and the (few) buttons easily operable

- it has no unrequired mics built in

- I don't recall having any MD media fail on me since the first ever model

- if I need to use it, the sound quality would be perfectly OK for radio broadcast

But I don't fondle the discs...

At the concert I recorded today, the young resident engineer at the concert hall said "Hey - MiniDisc! Haven't seen that in a while!" - and we both fondly discussed its real merits and shed a metaphorical tear at its demise (in terms of the release of any further models).

I record classical concerts for FM radio broadcast, and normally these days I use an Edirol R-44 four channel recorder. But for backup (in case the SDHC card goes dead, which is not completely unknown) I still connect up my RH-1 alongside it. Why?

- it's hardly anything else to carry.

- it sits nicely on the tabletop with the display clearly visible and the (few) buttons easily operable

- it has no unrequired mics built in

- I don't recall having any MD media fail on me since the first ever model

- if I need to use it, the sound quality would be perfectly OK for radio broadcast

But I don't fondle the discs...

At the concert I recorded today, the young resident engineer at the concert hall said "Hey - MiniDisc! Haven't seen that in a while!" - and we both fondly discussed its real merits and shed a metaphorical tear at its demise (in terms of the release of any further models).

Great points--I've made the point about SD cards not being 100% trustworthy myself. You're a fan, though. That doesn't mean you don't have good reasons for using MD--it means you have enough appreciation for it that you know it has capabilities that are useful to you.

LOL @ "I don't fondle the discs..."

Peace.