MZ-NHF800 repair

Rate this topic

NewCreatures

Recently I have had a problem with my Sony MZ-NHF800 remote where, The Volume control on the remote is changing Tracks. The Display button sends it into Record mode . Titling tracks , produces other characters than you entered. Pressing the Radio button at any time does not turn the radio on and makes things worse.

So thinking it was the remote I contacted the Sony North America's Depot Repair center where they want $161.95 for the remote RM-MC39LT. Almost half of what I originally paid for the entire MD unit.

First I was told by customer service that the Flat fee for repair was $99.99 for entire MZ-NHF800 w/ remote for repair.

Second time , $51 to send in remote , $99 to send in player. Like they wanted to charge each seperately.

To me, it also seemed like Sony really wasnt interested doing anything for people that still own minidisc equipment.

It may cost more to fix my MZ-NHF800, than to buy something else. Either its the Remote or some CPU inside the unit that is causing the malfunctions and their different each time No problem was the same, just random.

You can notice that support and other options for MD are being discontinued or disappearing completely.

Probably wont fix it.

Get some contact cleaner in a spray can. Remove the L-shaped plug that leads to the remote, from the main unit.

Spray the metal terminals of the removed plug with contact cleaner. Wipe it off, perhaps even (if this doesn't work first time) abrade the surfaces with a little steel wool or a very sharp object, taking care not to leave any debris that might short one surface to another.

It took me almost a year (and one discarded remote) to figure this one out.

Explanation: The remote depends on changing resistance at the NHF800 to send its messages. If the contacts are dirty then the unit will see erroneous messages. There is nothing to fix in either remote or MD.

Note: even if some cleaner is left on the jack before insertion that may not be all bad. However I would NOT try to spray into the socket, you've no idea where it might end up.

Good luck and welcome to MDCF!

You can also try another remote, even if it's not the tuner one.

And lookie what my doggie nose found:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-RM-MC39LT-Mini-Di...93%3A1|294%3A50

The remote for the NHF800!

I will try cleaning , that was in the first comment and I did find a Remote at Minidisc Access the RM-MC37LT for $79 new with only AM/FM. I may consider that too. The radio isnt really important. As long as everything else works.

I only diagnosed this because I wanted to use the radio which is always the most sensitive to this operational problem. The other remotes (which will work in the NHF800) don't seem to suffer, either because they don't have to communicate so many values (no radio) or because they have (numerically) less actual contacts.

I have bought replacement remotes (the 37LT will work fine, incidentally) off Ebay for never more than $25 IIRC. There didn't seem to be any point to pay more for the remote than I did for the unit. If the unit is really busted which I sincerely doubt, you could probably get an NH700 (same thing) off Ebay UK for less than $79 provided you find a seller who is willing to deal with you (send an email and ask nicely). However, as I mentioned, I don't believe there is anything actually wrong with either unit or remote - just the contacts.

And if you want simply to switch to a non-radio remote you may find one for about $10 - that will work fine.

Get some contact cleaner in a spray can. Remove the L-shaped plug that leads to the remote, from the main unit.

Spray the metal terminals of the removed plug with contact cleaner. Wipe it off, perhaps even (if this doesn't work first time) abrade the surfaces with a little steel wool or a very sharp object, taking care not to leave any debris that might short one surface to another.

It took me almost a year (and one discarded remote) to figure this one out.

Explanation: The remote depends on changing resistance at the NHF800 to send its messages. If the contacts are dirty then the unit will see erroneous messages. There is nothing to fix in either remote or MD.

Note: even if some cleaner is left on the jack before insertion that may not be all bad. However I would NOT try to spray into the socket, you've no idea where it might end up.

Good luck and welcome to MDCF!

I did clean the remote's contacts and the plug's contacts at the moment, on the cord. It seems to be ok now. I'll use it a little more and wait and see what happens. This was helpful.

Thanks.

With any luck the radio will be restored to full functionality. I find it is a bit slow to turn on when running on rechargeable batteries, if that helps at all.

The radio used to work but it does nothing pressing the button and the radio on/off button causes the remote to malfunction. I cleaned the Remote plug and it helped some with the behavior but it still isnt working right. I tried using Sonic Stage to title tracks and in the LCD window was PC-MD but in Sonic Stage it was saying "Device/ Media not connected" . I tried re-launching Sonic Stage several times and it no longer communicates with the Minidisc Player.

I'd like to be able to close this thread because I'm thinking of saving for a Digital Flash recorder , something that saves WAV and MP3 directly without converting and works faster than Sonic Stage for transferring recordings. I have one disc I currently use and about 10 blanks (5- 80min) (5-Hi-MD). So its not like I have a lot of recorded stuff that I would be worried about not being able to play anymore.