Sony Insider Forums
Christopher

Updated: Minidisc Community Forums And ATRACLife Moving To Sony Insider

One practical thing - here I can click on "view new posts" and I only see MD stuff. In the new forums, will that still work selectively or will I see reams of non-MD Sony-related stuff too? Of course I may quickly find that of interest - or not!

One practical thing - here I can click on "view new posts" and I only see MD stuff. In the new forums, will that still work selectively or will I see reams of non-MD Sony-related stuff too? Of course I may quickly find that of interest - or not!

Best way to find out these things is to register under a disposable name (one that wont clash with your name here) and experiment.

You can add forums to a watch list and manage viewing new posts from your watched forums panel. You can also configure each "subscription" to either send you no email notification, delayed email notification, immediate email notification, daily digest, or a weekly digest (of new posts).

Pretty cool.

The other thing I've noticed is that the board doesn't look terribly busy right now. If there is going to be REAMS of anything it'll be MINIDISC content when WE arrive. :)

Will the cooperation with minidisc.org continue, and will there be a link to the moved forums on the minidisc.org homepage as it exists now? What about keeping the brand "Minidisc Community" as a subtitle at least? Maybe it is possible to put some reference to minidisc.org on the SonyInsider page.

Edited by sharpsony

Will the cooperation with minidisc.org continue, and will there be a link to the moved forums on the minidisc.org homepage as it exists now? What about keeping the brand "Minidisc Community" as a subtitle at least?

I believe kurisu manages both domains. Current links to the forums should continue to function because there will be forwarding in place. As far as what the future holds for polishing up the content left on minidisc.org (there have been lots of dead links for a long time), that's at kurisu's discretion.

I can't speak officially to the request of the branding, but as I said before, what makes this site is the community not the brand or logos. I suspect that adding a subtitle would be confusing, not to mention inconsistent from a design perspective.

What I can say is that I believe the community will survive largely in tact. I echo kurisu's plea, at least for those of you who come here for the common cause of enriching your MiniDisc experience, that you give this a chance. I do not think you'll be disappointed.

I can't speak officially to the request of the branding, but as I said before, what makes this site is the community not the brand or logos. I suspect that adding a subtitle would be confusing, not to mention inconsistent from a design perspective.

I fully agree with you on the fact that the people make the community. But as adminstrator of the German MiniDisc forum with over 5,200 members and almost 230,000 posts I can say that the brand "minidisc.org" has an extraordinarily good reputation among MD aficionados over here in Central Europe (Germany, Austria, Switzerland). They regard it as the world reference source of MiniDisc related knowledge. My fear ist that this excellent reputation could suffer from the move. So I think there should remain some recognizable tie with minidisc.org. ;)

I fully agree with you on the fact that the people make the community. But as adminstrator of the German MiniDisc forum with over 5,200 members and almost 230,000 posts I can say that the brand "minidisc.org" has an extraordinarily good reputation among MD aficionados over here in Central Europe (Germany, Austria, Switzerland). They regard it as the world reference source of MiniDisc related knowledge. My fear ist that this excellent reputation could suffer from the move. So I think there should remain some recognizable tie with minidisc.org. ;)

Minidisc.org as far as I am aware is owned by Eric (the webmaster) and not Chris. Thus all the equipment browser and that stuff is technically a separate resource for which Eric is responsible. However I'm sure we can put a link on the SI home page and in the forum and as Abby said there will be a re-direct on the forums.minidisc.org subdomain.

Well, there will indeed be a tie-in insofar as sub-domain redirects will reach the same reputable and knowledgeable user base. All the old posts will be there as well. Would you stop reading your favorite columnists and reporters just because the newspaper they work for changed its name? I think you'll find that as far as being the #1 resource for knowledge and experience in the MD arena, you'll still find it when the forums content and users database resides on SonyInsider.

We just have to see how this turns out.

My thoughts exactly. I don't want to get all worked up about something that could turn out to meet our needs just as well. Just have to wait and see how it goes.

All our usernames will merge? I'm RobA here, but I believe I was roba5263 at ATRACLife, and the same at sonyinsider.

I couldn't personally care less where this forum is located, or if it's perceived to be tied to a specific brand. I come here to read up on MiniDisc info, to engage in the odd bit of commerce and to ask the occasional question or two. What I type in the address bar is completely irrelevant to me. I have 5,182 more important things to worry about than the politics of an internet forum. Bottom line, it's a valuable yet free resource created and maintained by good and knowledgable people and will continue to be so!

Edited by cornreaper

I couldn't personally care less where this forum is located, or if it's perceived to be tied to a specific brand. I come here to read up on MiniDisc info, to engage in the odd bit of commerce and to ask the occasional question or two. What I type in the address bar is completely irrelevant to me. I have 5,182 more important things to worry about than the politics of an internet forum. Bottom line, it's a valuable yet free resource created and maintained by good and knowledgable people and will continue to be so!

I completely agree with cornreaper, the forums have been great and wherever they live they'll be the same. Don't make rash decisions about 'never returning' or whatever, it is the people here that make it what it is, it is a community and it will remain so. I am looking forward to the new look and feel and I hope all of the same folks who have contributed so much for so long will continue ...

+1

I think its a great idea.

I like it. Nice place. I love Sony products of all kinds, especially of course MiniDisc and ES, SACD and other products, so its a nice place to look into more of the Sony world. I also feel that perhaps this will get other Sony fans interested maybe in something they hadnt really looked into. People may crossover and for fun dip into the world of MiniDiscs in general, you never know!

I like it. Nice place. I love Sony products of all kinds, especially of course MiniDisc and ES, SACD and other products, so its a nice place to look into more of the Sony world. I also feel that perhaps this will get other Sony fans interested maybe in something they hadnt really looked into. People may crossover and for fun dip into the world of MiniDiscs in general, you never know!

I totally agree with you :) our oppinions are 100% same.