In need of inspiration from fellow md fans

Rate this topic

remy117

Hi everyone, I haven't been around lately but I'm back. I'll explain.

I've been using my MDs less and less.

Why? I'm sure many here have been enticed as well. Well I'm almost fully Apple reliant now. I work on a MBP, I have an 24" LED Display, commute with an iPod Classic, and about to get an iPhone soon.

The thing is, I still very much miss my mds. I have more than 200 discs and used to listen to them all the time, especially back in 2005 when I was in Japan. The situation over there is that even without a computer, everyone has md conpos and you could simply walk to the local tsutaya and rent a few albums for the weekend, come home, load then up to your mds. On top of that, mds were cheap... 10 pack for as little as 700yen.

After coming back to the states in early '07, I purchased a Netjuke, with hopes of saving $$ on blank mds. I've fulfilled that purpose, but lately I've found it even more pain-free to load songs into iTunes and sync with the click of a mouse. With the simplicity aside, I still reminisce the sound quality and excitement of holding a beautifully compiled MD.

I'm now looking into getting silver RH-1 for future proofing. I already have 2 rh1 battery sticks, so now I'm just missing another player. But then, I'd have to skip on the iPhone.

That said, any sort of inspiration for me to make the return to MiniDisc would be very appreciated :P

You have taken the first step, just continue on your path, remember, choose wisely!

That being said, when you get your RH1, you will be amazed, it is a beauty, rarely use my IPOD, too much hassle to find and listen to music, easier to take a few discs and listen to what you want.

Welcome back

Bob

Thx guys for the encouragement.

I went ahead and ordered a silver rh1 straight from japan through ebay for $409 total.

In the meantime, I'll be playing with my black rh1. Listening through minidiscs feels like listening to music on a premium :D

The silver RH1 is made specifically for Japan, and, as such, probably sounds better than those for the other markets.

Avrin, Sounds good but highly doubt that statement :o

Avrin, Sounds good but highly doubt that statement :o

There shouldn't be any doubt here. It definitely sounds better than the European one, with its software and hardware limitations. And it may sound better than the American one.

When I used to repair electronics, I frequently encountered various audio and video equipment manufactured for the Japanese market, and had a lot of chances to compare it to same models manufactured for export. Oh, how these were different (and I'm not talking about TV system/voltage/FM band differences). Some components, which are not actually required for the equipment to operate, but which make very subtle improvements to sound/image quality were always installed in Japanese market models, but were usually missing from export ones.

Both my RH1s are European with the software cap removed, but the hardware limitation still present. And the NH3D easily beats them on sound quality.

Edited by Avrin

There shouldn't be any doubt here. It definitely sounds better than the European one, with its software and hardware limitations. And it may sound better than the American one.

When I used to repair electronics, I frequently encountered various audio and video equipment manufactured for the Japanese market, and had a lot of chances to compare it to same models manufactured for export. Oh, how these were different (and I'm not talking about TV system/voltage/FM band differences). Some components, which are not actually required for the equipment to operate, but which make very subtle improvements to sound/image quality were always installed in Japanese market models, but were usually missing from export ones.

Both my RH1s are European with the software cap removed, but the hardware limitation still present. And the NH3D easily beats them on sound quality.

Yeah, but the NH3D is 1stGen Hi-MD. Do you have a japanese RH1 you can compare to your european ones?

Edited by sinus

Yeah, but the NH3D is 1stGen Hi-MD. Do you have a japanese RH1 you can compare to your european ones?

I don't. But a very respectable participant of a Russian minidisc forum (a professional musician) stated that his Japanese RH1 sounds absolutely the same as the NH3D.

Edited by Avrin

Would there be a difference between an EH1 & a NH3D?!

I assume THAT is not likely but to reason a difference in sound quality between two RH1's from only hearing a NH3D and a RH1 is a little bit far-fetched.

Sorry, Avrin! ;)

Edited by sinus

It's pure logic:

1. A professional musician who has a Japanese RH1 and an NH3D finds that they sound exactly the same.

2. I have an NH3D, and it sounds better than the European RH1.

=>

A Japanese RH1 sounds better than a European one.

Edited by Avrin

No. A classical pianist.

It's quite easy - the ovewhelming majority of equipment manufactured for Japan sounds better than their export counterparts. Why should the RH1 be an exception? Remember the service manuals - these always show all models, except the Japanese one. Model differences (e.g., European limiting resistors and/or settings) are specified for all regions, except Japan again. This easily make one think that Japanese models are so different that they require separate service manuals for them.

It's amazing how easily so many threads go off on a life of their own.

So bottom line is there is in fact a different between japanese RH1 > american Rh1 > euro rh1.

What makes this doubtable is they all come from the same production line in Malaysia.

I'll report on when my silver rh1 arrives next week.

Are you sure that the European RH1 comes from Malaysia? It has no "MADE IN MALAYSIA" text on it, and this almost always implies that the unit is actually made in China.

And don't doubt. Units can be different even when manufactured for the same region. E.g., the American NH600D is different from the Canadian one.