What Should I Get For My Car

Rate this topic

RED SHIFT1

I want to put a MD player in my 2001 Dodge Neon. I understand that there were some units made that were compatible with both the standard and MDLP modes, but not the HD mode. I have looked all up and decided that I don't have a clue what model to look for. It might take awhile but I am going to try anyway. Does anyone have any idea what model I should look for?

My personal suggestion: start by getting a Sony head unit (GT510,610 or 710) and the supporting wiring and stuff (which you will have to do anyway) that gives you CD including Atrac and MP3. Now get an MDX-66XLP (there is exactly ONE model which is an MDLP changer and this is it), and it connects very easily indeed, nothing except the two cables. No power requirement, and they give you nice long cables with the changer so it can go anywhere... it's very small.

Cheers and welcome to MDCF

Well there's another argument for Atrac3+ CD in the car. It has to read so much data (often a whole song) at a time in order to decode it, that it's relatively immune to bumps, over and above any "G-protection". Quite apart from the fact there is almost no point in stealing homemade compressed CD's.

And back to OP - the point of the non-MD headunit is really that they are very inexpensive, whereas the MD-based headunits are older models and tend to be expensive. The only trick is getting the changer.

I want to put a MD player in my 2001 Dodge Neon. I understand that there were some units made that were compatible with both the standard and MDLP modes, but not the HD mode. I have looked all up and decided that I don't have a clue what model to look for. It might take awhile but I am going to try anyway. Does anyone have any idea what model I should look for?

By "HD" I am assuming that you mean "Hi-MD." Correct, no car Hi-MD units (that I know of).

Next: You kind of imply that you want or need LP mode. If that's the case, then just go to the Equipment Browser on this site and look for car units that have LP. There are some. I have, for example, the Sony MDX-CA680X in my car. There are others from which to choose.

See http://minidisc.org/car_table.html

If you don't require LP, then that expands the number of possibilities. In any case, keep checking Ebay and perhaps Craigslist. I don't know that I'd go for that MDX-U1 that pops up on Ebay every so often (although reading the guy's pitch is sort of fun), but keep on the lookout, something will turn up.

As has also been suggested, you can get a head unit that supports having an MD changer connected. I prefer having the MD right in the dash, but everyone has his or her own preference.

Good luck!

What a beauty!

And you can usually find one on Yahoo Japan for under $100. Forget the FM modulator, the quality isn't as good (assuming you are able to get a Sony headunit into your vehicle).

Have you experience of this device, Avrin? I have noticed one oddity - some disks with clear (transparent) upper surfaces, I particularly noticed TDK Poshe and RXG Pro, seem to give my changer playback trouble. The exact same material recorded onto another disk, no problem.