Minidisc Community Forums, ATRACLife and Sony Insider Forum Merger Complete

Christopher

Hello,

I just wanted to welcome everyone to the new Sony Insider forums, now with 166,000+ posts and more than a 111,000+ members. This is without a doubt the largest 3rd party forum that consists of mostly Sony content. There were several problems with the merger, but things ended up working out for the most part in the end. I would estimate that at least 10,000 topics are still due to be imported in the forums. The Pictorials and Reviews from the Minidisc forum are a part of that. The rest of the Hi-MD forum is a part of that. We have all the data, though, so don't worry about it. Many forums may not be displaying all of their topics correctly right now. We have to rebuild the indexes and this will be fixed in time. Things are going to be quirky for a few weeks.

It is great to have all of the content from ATRACLife back.

We will be adding more themes to the forum and languages.

If you had an account with us at Minidisc Community Forums, ATRACLife or Sony Insider forums, your login should work normally. We can merge your accounts, so please tell us all of your usernames in a reply.

I'd like to second Chris' thoughts and it is great to see the forums in their new home and running under the new software. I think this has been a mammoth task the complexity of which should not be underestimated. It has been largely successful although of course there will still need to be some things that need ironing out.

I noticed for example you may need to edit some of the custom fields in your profile if you previously had accounts at both MDCF / ALC and / or SI as some of the info may have been populated into the wrong section.

Please report any quirks or issues to the admin team or reply to this thread, and let us know details of previous accounts so that these can be merged if required.

Abby - I think some of the links in your sig may be in the topics that still need to be merged in from the old Hi-MD section. We'll see if we can get that back in the next day or so. Hang in there..

All of the topics have been restored. You don't understand how awesome it is to say that. Believe me. :tease::yahoo:

One slight error - all of the MD product reviews/pictorials were moved to the Hi-MD forum. I am in the process of manually moving them back to the right place, which should be done today.

All the topics I posted before July 11 are missing still.

Do you have a specific example?

Yes, try searching for any of the titles I have crossed out in my signature. Do it on Google first so you can see the cached version from MDCF. Then try searching by title for them here.

After you compare the dates on Google-cached versions of messages I've posted, then search for all topics posted by me--go to the last page and you'll see that the earliest date is July 11 even though Google's cache shows posts for me going back to June.

Something odd about search. You have to highlight :hardware: and also :other:

I found your posts. (looks like there isn't a way of searching all forums at once, until you do this)

And your links simply point to topic numbers in the old db. There would be no way for the migration to have fixed your sig.

Something odd about search. You have to highlight :hardware: and also :other:

I found your posts. (looks like there isn't a way of searching all forums at once, until you do this)

And your links simply point to topic numbers in the old db. There would be no way for the migration to have fixed your sig.

I know that I needed to update my topic numbers--I just couldn't find my posts before. Thanks for finding the workaround to the broken search. That'll help.

It really is broken, by the way. If you click on the "Topics" tab in my profile, it only displays back to July 11, but as you can see, by using the Advanced Search and highlighting Hardware and Other as you instructed, I was able to find my new topic numbers and update my signature. In the meantime, until the search is fixed, people will be missing results because it is very natural just to highlight everything.

Not so fast. If you highlight NOTHING, then there is some normal cutoff by date. But if you highlight every forum by clicking, then it works fine. You do need to specify some dates, too.

The problem comes because the "parent" to "other" and "hardware" isn't visible in the search tree?

Not so fast. If you highlight NOTHING, then there is some normal cutoff by date. But if you highlight every forum by clicking, then it works fine. You do need to specify some dates, too.

The problem comes because the "parent" to "other" and "hardware" isn't visible in the search tree?

I was selecting all. It is still "broken" if you have to know to "specify dates". My dad used to avoid fixing stuff too--"that lock isn't broken, just wiggle it while standing on one foot and apply 3PSI torque one way and 5PSI torque the other."

Not so fast, not so fast--I just tried this with dates. It still doesn't "work fine".

Update: Okay--it works sort of. But the circumstances are very narrow. You must have to know within a small range (30 days maybe?) when the topic you're looking for was updated (last post in the topic). For example, if you expand the To parameter to 'Now', it fails to go earlier than July 11 again. This is reminiscent of the search problems I had with IPB 2--which is why I pursued a Google custom search. I need to make a new one for SI, obviously.

There have always been *some* defaults about dates built into IPS's software. It's possible this is a user-configurable setting that is about the user, not about the board. It's also possible that administration controls it (I don't know as I no longer have access, in the V.3 world) as a setting "how far back to default search". There is a default on the length of time backwards that topics are displayed for a given forum or subforum, when opened - perhaps it is the same default being applied. After all it is almost exactly 60 days since July 11.