Still using my MZ RH910

Rate this topic

PattiMichelle

I take this thing everywhere, and with the help of a couple of "calibration microphones," I get awesome stereo recordings of nature sounds. I also like being able to choose compression or not, and the control of input gain (manual or a couple types of AGC). It even has VU meters (!!!)

But with the MD way hardware has been going - I'm wondering what I'm going to do when this one wears out? I've been browsing around, and have seen only two models of HiMD for sale nowadays and they're twice as expensive. Suggestions? Does anyone know what the next few years hold?

Thanks!

:thank_you2: Patti :give_heart:

There's still lots of recorders in Japan (yahoo) and the UK (Ebay). NH700 going for under $100 US there.

Welcome (back) to MDCF!

Stephen

Thanks, Stephen! I know ebay is a way to buy used things - but what about the reference to yahoo Japan? Not sure what that means...

Patti :closedeyes:

EDIT: Just went on ebay and bought an MD-N707 with stereo microphones for $179. Such a deal! I'd really like to get that new one - the $400 M200 or something like it - just a little pricey, though. It's supposed to be one of the most durable made to date. The only problem I've ever had with the two recorders I've owned is that the battery terminals tend to corrode - which can be a real headache...

Patti :spruce_up:

Thanks, Stephen! I know ebay is a way to buy used things - but what about the reference to yahoo Japan? Not sure what that means...

Well , MD will basically dwindle down to the Asian Market , as that is where it comes from to begin with . Yahoo Auctions in Japan have a Plethora of gear . and in Japan everyone is swapping out for the iPod and Sony MP3 players , Plus the Cell phones over here do everything , TV , Internet , Music , Video ,Shopping , act as your Credit Card , I do Mean everything . So MD is very much a Niche item now

I can get a New RH1 , I know where several are sitting , but they have that Price tag issue .

Ebay will have stuff as well , but here Stephen is basically correct Yahoo Auctions Japan , will have stuff in better condition , Japanese people tend to take better care of things so the used Item ( If it is from a Japanese person ) will probably be in good shape , there are areas you have to be careful though , good use of the Google translator is advised .

EDIT: Just went on ebay and bought an MD-N707 with stereo microphones for $179. Such a deal! I'd really like to get that new one - the $400 M200 or something like it - just a little pricey, though. It's supposed to be one of the most durable made to date. The only problem I've ever had with the two recorders I've owned is that the battery terminals tend to corrode - which can be a real headache...

Patti :spruce_up:

Hi Patti

Hope the 707 treats you well, but a couple of caveats. You will not be able to digitally upload unless you get an RH1, the 910 won't work on the 707's recordings, as well, the 707 is very old, watch for sighns of the record ribbon deteriorating, if it does, you will lose recordings.

Other than that, have fun, and keep on buying, this is a good addiction

Bob

Oops! I thought I saw that it had the netMD upload to computer? Also, what's a "record ribbon?" Didn't see that anywhere on my other two recorders.

The ribbon is the inside connector in the machine that connects the circuitry to the record/overwrite head, the very thin wires break over time causing the unit to misbehave. It can be repaired, but sometimes could cost more than the unit is worth, nice machine, still have mine, but don't trust discs to it any more, I still recommend an NH 700 or 800, and when you can, an RH1,

Have fun,

Bob

The ribbon is the inside connector in the machine that connects the circuitry to the record/overwrite head, the very thin wires break over time causing the unit to misbehave. It can be repaired, but sometimes could cost more than the unit is worth, nice machine, still have mine, but don't trust discs to it any more, I still recommend an NH 700 or 800, and when you can, an RH1,

Have fun,

Bob

Thanks for the great information! I'm sure glad I asked - it sounds like a design flaw on Sony's part... I was looking at the M200 - I did a search and it looks identical to the RH1. They both seem to have the same price here in the States, when you can find one! Do these models not have the ribbon cable? How about my RH910? These things are amazing recorders, in a class of their own. About the "switchover to ipods," I don't see how tech-savvy Asians can be confused about the audio difference - or maybe ipods are "good enough" for passive listening? I'm really excited about new features - fast computer transfer and direct CD transfer...

Patti

I saw a Used RH1 , at Hardoff , for 26,000 yen in pretty good shape .

That's what, $280? I think a new one (though rare) goes for $340 here. Maybe I should sink the money into it after all...

I was looking at the M200 - I did a search and it looks identical to the RH1. They both seem to have the same price here in the States, when you can find one!

They are the identical unit, but the M200 includes an ECM-DS70P microphone, which you can buy for a lot less elsewhere, if you are (!!) careful. PM me and I will direct you to one reseller I trust. If the prices are identical (from the same source) between RH1 and M200 they're not telling you something :)

However the best place to get RH1 is probably here

Do these models not have the ribbon cable? How about my RH910?

Apparently (I've not owned one) the N707 was particularly prone to this fault, which can happen on any of them. I have an N505 which I bought busted that I managed to restore to health, so it's not impossible to fix.

That's what, $280? I think a new one (though rare) goes for $340 here. Maybe I should sink the money into it after all...

Yeah 340 is about New Here in Japan as well .

But the Economy is hard ( Jobless rate at 5.7 percent accounted , which does NOT include the unaccounted rural suburbia , countryside etc .)

So Hardoff ( Which is a Recycle Chain store , Recycle as in Buy /Sell used gear ) has been extremely busy lately people are hurting for cash . so they are selling the gear to Hardoff

I wonder if there are any online sources of a spare flex-cable for the N707? Likely I'd have to use a microscope to even see the screws!

Most of these units share a common mechanism in that department. However the cable is soldered, not screwed.

You can take a look at the (service) manuals for different models starting at http://minidisc.org/equipment_browser.html

Don't even think about buying this sort of thing from Sony, if you are really attached to the 707 you would be better to buy another unit for $30 or so and cannibalise it.

OIC. I figured as much. I just got my '707 today and it seems very solid construction (I read it's a magnesium cover). I like that it has a AA battery, though that makes it a tad more bulky. I see it doesn't have Hi-MD. I believe it probably has an older ATRAC also, which means distortion at high compression levels :cray: - though the reviews are pretty good. I'm going to try enabling the higher-level features. Unfortunately, I can't set microphone sensitivity as I can with my 910 (different internal amplifier setup).

Still, it's a nice "backup" to my 910, which does have HiMD. I usually only need a couple of hours at a time worth of live recording. The remote control is incredibly "cheezy" compared to the rest of the unit - is a higher-quality remote control another "ebay" item?

Thanks!!

Patti :victory:

Yeah you can find some other remote controls. Is this the one with no LCD display (that is also shipped with the NH700 incidentally)? You can find RM-MC38EL or RM-MC35ELK from a bunch of places, they might be knockoffs (more like factory skrinkage!?) but generally they work fine.

There's also a couple of nice® ones, an RM-MC40ELK, and an RM-MC55 (not sure of the suffix this one is really rare).

Thanks for the information - I'm kinda new - so after reading all these responses, I looked for those part numbers on ebay and found both. I just hope they don't display in kanji! It also looks the remote controls have built-in microphones?

That '707 I bought came with four mics - all stereo - including an ECM-DS70P, a lapel mike, and a couple of what look like laptop-computer mics, so I'm all set for mics.

Patti :give_heart2:

With all the mics, your MZ-N707 wasn't that bad a deal, but it is a much older generation recorder and won't do what you are used to with the RH910.

What it does do: Record to compressed formats: SP, LP2 and (don't waste your time with it) LP4. Those recordings cannot be uploaded from the MZ-N707 or any other unit except the MZ-RH1 or MZM200.

What it doesn't do: Record to Hi-MD blanks (you need 74 or 80-minute MDs).

Record in (uncompressed) PCM/.wav.

Upload to computer. Unless you have the RH1/M200 the only way to get the recordings off the disc is to plug a cord into the headphone jack and record from there in realtime. There is a free program that automates that: Hi-MD Renderer (check around the forums).

It is a little workhorse. I banged one around for years.

The ribbon cable is what breaks when the thing breaks, even in a Hi-MD unit. But it takes some longterm abuse.

In future, look for an H (for Hi-MD) in your MD numbers. NetMD (MZ-N without H) and older MD (MZ-R, MZ with just numbers) are ancient and pretty much obsolete. Naturally Sony made things even more confusing with the MZ-M200, which follows none of the numbering rules--but you're right, that's the MZ-RH1.

The only units worth grabbing, really, are the MZ-RH1 and the NH700, which is the Hi-MD version of the MZ-N707--it takes the AA battery but does all the Hi-MD things your RH910 did. You may also see the MZ-NHF800, which is the MZ-NH700 plus a remote with an FM radio in it--same unit otherwise.

To make things more confusing, there is the MZ-NH600D, which does not do realtime recording, and the NH-600, which only has a line-in jack (no mic jack) for realtime recording. And often people selling the NH600D conveniently forget the D, or call it an NH-6000, so I'd just avoid NH6xx.

You could also look around for another RH910.

The good thing about the used minidisc market is that we are really a nutty minority here. Lots of people bought them, tried them and set them aside because they weren't iPods. If you're lucky you'll find one that had just been sitting around until its owner needed some cash.

The remotes do not have mics in them. The mic is always separate. The best remote is RM-MC40ELK because it shows the recording level (while the unit itself stays in your pocket)--but if you light up its backlight while recording, it makes static on the recording. Also, it's no bargain.

Agree about the NH600, but only up to a point. Outside the UK (where you can easily get an NH700) the NH600 has much better availability. If you look at the service manuals for NH600,NH700(incl. NHF800) and NH900 you will see they all share a common mechanism, so, features aside, you're getting basically the same product.

The big trick when buying an NH600x machine is to ask the vendor how many sockets/connectors it has. I have seen (and/or seen pictures of) many variations. My own 600D purchased here in N.America has no line in, and NO 3V POWER CONNECTOR (the yellow hole that takes the yellow-tipped jack from Sony and other suitable adaptors). This might be a big deal for you, or it might not. The rationale is that the device doesn't really need power at all as long as it can draw some from USB, during downloading.

The NH600, on the other hand, has a nice power input, and a WHITE socket for line-in (analogue/optical) as well as the usual USB socket and remote-connector. Don't let weird pictures put you off, my strong belief is that they ALL have the right socket for the "standard" Sony remote control.

Note one big difference of the NH600 from the higher numbered (in this case bigger number = better) models - it cannnot recharge the NiMH battery when you press the stop button. Even if there's a yellow connector. However this shouldn't stop you as Energizer NiHM chargers and AA batteries are so cheap that there is no reason for anyone to buy anything expensive from Sony.

It seems that many of the NH600's were made for outside the USA. Mine came from Oz, and of course any model from down under, or Europe will (if supplied at all) have a charger that needs 230V. Again not a big deal but don't be surprised if you get some funny shaped plug you can't do anything with.

The jog dial is not as solid as it might be, and a little smaller for big fingers, but don't let that put you off. The 3-line screen is an excellent feature that older models never had. This is a nice machine, and perfectly adequate as backup to a microphone-capable RH910.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info!! What are the important differences between the RH1 and the NH700? I can get the NH700 used for less than $200, but the RH1 is over $340. I also like the use of a single AA battery over the gumstick - the gumstick on my 910 was always corroding if I left it sit for a few weeks. Tried replacing the battery and it did the same thing. With the LaCrosse AA charger, AA rechargeable battery technology is finally adequate.

Patti :imsohappy:

EDIT: Just downloaded the manual for the MH700 - it has VU meters!! :clapping:

EDIT2: In the manual, it looks almost the same as my '910

Thanks for the info!! What are the important differences between the RH1 and the NH700?

#1. the RH1 is the only one that can upload pre-HiMD formats (SP,LP2,LP4)

#2. the RH1 uses Gumstick LiIon batteries which are scarcer than either gumstick NiMH (like your Rh910), or (NH700) good ol' AA. Major selling point for NH700.

#3. The RH1 has an all-digital HiDefinition amplifier ("HD Amp"). It also has some nice improvements in playback (Dynamic normalization) and recording (Manual Record level settings are saved).

#4. The RH1 has an OLED with level meter and "stuff" but it lacks a display that allows you to scroll through existing tracks.

I'm sure there are lots of other things that the afficionados here will chime in with.....

Congrats! You'll soon be up to half a dozen units, like the rest of us :)

Your description makes it an NH600D, as I am sure you have already deduced.

The next thing that most afficionados eventually get is a player-only. They tend to be thinner and use a lot less battery, and they all start with the letter E. Mine is an MZ-EH70. One advantage is that you cannot erase a precious recording accidentally.

Yes, this sound like an NH600D. Which is great, since it has no Euro output limitations.

Now go ahead and enable Virtual Surround and Speed Control.

A little worried about trying to get into - and back out of - service mode :shok:

I really, really like the color of my blue N707 - is there any way short of fingernail polish to change the color of my NH600D - do they make "skins" or whatever?

• 3 weeks later...