SonicStage 4.3 "Ultimate" Release 2

Avrin

There is something wrong with the mechanism on the site that detects new posts. This showed up as a new post for me today, 9/18/2010 at around 6PM. This is not the first time either. Old threads will show as new when selecting "View New Listings" Just a note ...

• 1 month later...

Me Too.

This has just showed up as a new post for me today 20101110.

Looks like I should be using this new version SonicStage 4.3 "Ultimate" Release 2.

My question is Does it work with Win 7 - that is Win 7x64.

Thanks,

Oh and another thing.

What is:

NOTE: If you have applied the experimental SonicStage patch 4.3.02 for Windows 7, you'll need to re-apply it after installation

...and if I need it where do I get it please.

• 7 months later...

As far as I'm aware, the Starter edition lacks certain features, but shouldn't affect your ability to run programs which work under other versions of W7.

Here's a list of what it won't do:

* Aero Glass, meaning you can only use the Windows Basic or other opaque themes. It also means you do not get Taskbar Previews or Aero Peek.

* Personalization features for changing desktop backgrounds, window colors, or sound schemes.

* The ability to switch between users without having to log off.

* 64 bit version

* Multi-monitor support.

* DVD playback.

* Windows Media Center for watching recorded TV or other media.

* Remote Media Streaming for streaming your music, videos, and recorded TV from your home computer.

* Domain support for business customers.

* XP Mode for those that want the ability to run older Windows XP programs on Windows 7.

The last one means you won't be able to run Simple Burner. Having said that, I have W7 Pro 64 bit, and I can't get it to run at the moment!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there!

I'm new to all this. Can you tell me if I can download SS 4.3 version 2 and run it on windows 7 64-bit, just like that, with nothing else?

Thanks,

Peter

I have no idea what you refer to, but ALL versions of Windows 7 can be made to work with SonicStage.

Please don't ever use the word "just" over something technical like this.

To make 64-bits work with "legacy" media (NetMD) you will need the NetMD support driver which is called NETMD760.SYS. This will need to be downloaded and installed separately (before or after) from the SS Ultimate ("Ultimate" is just an adjective and has NOTHING to do with the version of Windows you happened to acquire). If you do it before, the manner of installation may differ from when you do it after, since in the latter case, something has already "gone a bit wrong".

Fear not, it is in the downloads section here, and we shall assist you on your quest.

Some answers depend on exactly which unit you plan to hook to the USB.

• 4 weeks later...

That's the version of the main program. Avrin actually packaged up some newer versions of some of the components in that download on our website, so it's actually NEWER in some regards than the package from Sony.

Hello sfbp, I thought I had the Avrin version - maybe I haven't - I dunno how to tell - it's a long long time since I set up my system.

Perhaps I should review and renew.

So the first thing is to get the real Avrin pack.

I need to be hand held. Any chance of a direct link to the Avrin download, please.

Thanks,

• 1 month later...

I do thank the many people who have contributed to discussing this problem, and those who have offered solutions. Glad to hear some of you are back up and running. I am, too, finally, after about two working days worth of struggle, On my fairly new 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium system, my MZ-N1 became a brick. Thanks to support here and elsewhere I finally managed to manually install the NetMD760 driver and get the device properly recognized, but it remained a brick in terms of functionality, since I still couldn't actually do anything with it via Windows.

The SonicStage 4.3 Ultimate install at first left me with much the problem I had trying earlier SS versions: I got a "restart your PC and then try running again" error message. Applying Home Premium's limited XP or NT compatibility mode on the application did get me slightly further, namely to the SonicStage splash window, but then another error advising that "the database is being used by another program." No, it's not! And then I thought: What if I logged out as a user and back in as admninistrator? Yup, that worked. The "other program" was my administrator profile, even when it wasn't running, apparently.

I originally went through a similar ordeal four years ago with another MD recorder and my then-new Vista machine, but this time it was even worse.

Thankfully I didn't have to go to my last-gasp resort: setting up a virtual machine to gain functionality under XP. I'd have to learn how to use one of the third-party virtualware products. I'd simply refuse to spend the money to upgrade to Win 7 Ultimate and its built-in XP virtualization -- that to me would be simpler and more elegant, but still a rip-off. Luckily, I've got an unused but legit copy of XP in stock. But that's a hell of a thing, having to do serious OS surgery just to run a legacy device. How Microsoft ever became the world's leading OS provider and Bill Gates one of the world's richest men still eludes me. Another option might be a Linux driver or Linux running WINE, but I doubt that will succeed either.

Patience! This two-step installation approach does work. Remember to use Compatibility mode under program properties (Vista worked for me) before launching Sonic Stage.

I glad you got it working.

Not sure what you did, or what you mean about 2-steps. I will re-read your post. If you mean that following Sony's direction of rebooting was required, this probably arises out of something being required to be removed, not just deleted from the registry. In fact it's a good rule that when you DEINSTALL something, this is the time to reboot the system.

You definitely do not need Virtual XP mode if you have the 760 driver installed, that is clear. And it will work for all devices we tried so far. Last night I heard of yet another device ID that we haven't seen, and the plan would be to add it in once the installation can be verified for both 32- (052) and 64- (760) bit versions of Windows.

Thanks for the followup. To clarify, by "the two steps" reference I just meant the need to uninstall the old driver and SS, reboot, then install both the NetMD driver and 4.3, then reboot again. The two specific steps I meant were installing the NetMD driver and then 4.3, but now that I think back, maybe 4.3 contained the driver in its own routine archive, so that's only one step. Though, if you count the reboots and uninstall routines, you're back up to three or four steps! You see, I was punch-drunk by the time I did this successfully.

Anyway, when I de-installed older versions of the driver and Sonic Stage, one of the several SS apps in my program list (I think it was one of those SS update packs) advised that I'd need to reboot, which I did. After that, I installed the new packages. while logged in as Administrator, figuring that would be more reliable. Since I normally don't run the system as the administrator, I then rebooted into my standard user profile. After that I got the "reboot and try again" message from 4.3. Running 4.3 in my standard profile with administrator privileges seemed to fix that as I saw the 4.3 splash screen for the first time, but then I got the "another app is using the database" message.

After playing with this awhile and almost giving up, I figured out that the only way this works for me is to be logged in as administrator. Otherwise, as regular user, I get one of the two above error messages, even if I launch the program with administrative priviileges. This is not terribly inconvenient but it is annoying, so maybe when I have another block of time to burn, I'll remove the program and driver again to see what happens when I install them as a standard user.

Correct. Sony has ALWAYS said you need to have administrator privileges.

But you do need to install NETMD760 BEFORE SonicStage. Or replace the drivers that the latter puts there. The "Ultimate" version does NOT include the 64-bit driver, as Sony has never officially supported Sonic Stage (the driver came from Japanese-only software which is effectively SS version 5.2) on 64-bits.

If you have multiple units, you may have even more problems unless you manually insist on the driver every time.

Good luck, and please keep us posted of your futher adventures

Stephen

• 3 months later...

Hi there! This is my first post - please excuse me if I seem like a novice use - I AM!

I have two Sony MD recorder/players: my original (beloved) MZ-R700 and a MZ-R707 that I got because it has a USB port.

I've been recording classical concerts presented by my own choirs / orchestras etc for over 12 years now and the quality is amazing (on one occassion the BBC used my recording of a concert because their own was cr*p!) . I have recorded here in Guernsey, in various French cathedrals and churches and in Brecon Cathedral.

I have NEVER had any commercial Mds - and I never use the units to take a "portable" recording of my own CD collection.

My question is (finally!): does the latest Sonic Stage software allow me to download recordings from MD to my computer without having to do it (as now) in real time using the earphone as output? You will appreciate that this takes for ever with a big concert - and then I have to do all the editing.

Many thanks

Niall (Guernsey, Channel Islands, Great Britain)

Yes - but ONLY if you buy, beg, borrow, or steal an MZ-RH1 (or MZ-M200 which is the same + a microphone bundled) to upload these tracks. You'll need a PC - this particular trick of the RH1 won't work with a Mac.

Sorry about that. The only other way to get a decent DIGITAL recording off a recorded MD, is to buy an MD deck that has optical output and process that with a PC or Mac. Of course, that is real time - but it's less expensive than an RH1, probably around 50 quid. Whereas an RH1 will set you back 3-4 times that.

Thanks Philippe, I had completely forgotten about that.

And you can also buy, on Ebay, an optical-in sound card for $15 which effects the same. I have one, I just don't use it. It will turn optical in to USB at the PC. Of course, it still needs a deck with optical out, but I sometimes forget it is easier to have USB in than optical in, the last couple of years, especially with the proliferation of laptops instead of machines with bus and plug-in cards.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I am not able to transfer tracks to my Hd-5 I get this message on the right side of the program: Important! In order to proceed your device must be reformatted your device contains tracks that where transferred using a previous version of sonicstage.....etc it wants me to delete all my tracks. I refuse to do that. Should I just install sonicstage from the original disc? or is there some kind of easy fix for this? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

If you are allowed to "upload" your tracks from the NWZ to the PC, do so. (old PC, old SS?)

Otherwise, I think you are right, they don't let you mix them. If this means they encrypted them to get them onto that device, you are out of luck. But the current SS, and the most recent devices that actually support ATRAC (which support has been removed from the available Walkman offering in favour of ugh-MP3), don't require, and in fact require the LACK of, encryption. This means you can actually copy the files off using Windows Explorer. The only problem is that the titles will not show. But as .OMA files have the titles embedded in them (ID3-Tag info, just like an MP3), you should be able to recreate the SS library by simply importing the files which are called names like "00023.OMA".

Out of curiosity, what version of SS did you use to transfer them (then) and what version are you trying to use (now)?

If I'm right, you should at least be able to PLAY the songs already on the HD, using Sonic Stage. And copy them too. Unless your Sonic Stage is really old.

I recall seeing a strange warning when I first connected my NWZ-A1200 to Sonic Stage giving the impression I was about to lose something. Which turned out to have no teeth at all (in fact the HD was empty). Are you sure it's not something like that and you over-reacted by thinking that it requires everything to be deleted?

No it wont even load the contents of my Hd5 on the sonicstage program Im using the latest release from here. 4.3 ultimate release. I can't risk deleting my music. So I have no choice but to install the original sonicstage that came with my Hd5 version 3.1. When I put the music on my device I had to get my pc and the device authenticated by Sony. That's why I can't risk deleting everything.

This just in! even version 3.1 telling me the same thing. It wants to re-format my Hd-5. I have no idea what version I had before I just know I downloaded in 2011 and I don't know what version was out at that time. wait a minute. I just installed 3.1 on a different pc with windows xp and its giving me no problems except for the usual authentication required prompt, but since the sony connect store is down I cant authenticate that pc, meaning that's useless.

Can you see your music (albeit in some funny directory structure)?

"just" look with windows explorer at the disk drive (assuming one shows up as it does on the NWZ-A1200) and search for everything called .oma or .OMA

You may be surprised - these files may even play in Windows Media Player (if you let them!).