SonicStage 4.3 "Ultimate" Release 2

Avrin

from what I can tell, HD5 is an "Atrac Audio Device" and the files are not encrypted. But they didn't call it that in the product manual, along with its little bro the HD3.

Worst case... copy all the files off and reformat. Better make sure you CAN play each one with WMP just to be sure.

Hi,

I recently had a computer crash, and have had to switch to my laptop....and I have just reinstalled Sonic Stage. However, it wants to wipe out my net walkman, which I really don't want to have that done and trash whats I'm my NW3? I think it is.

Anyway around this?

Thanks

Scott

• 1 month later...

Another option might be a Linux driver or Linux running WINE, but I doubt that will succeed either.

I couldn't get SS 4.3 Ultimate to install using Wine 1.4 in Windows XP mode. I couldn't find a winetricks entry for this either.

Someone here has apparantly got a 4.x release working with WINE: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=6911

But many comments at the following link say otherwise, seems like a kernel mode driver for the DRM stuff will not work under WINE: http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=14928

• 2 months later...

Hello -- I am the proud owner on an MZ-RH10 and a lot of car Minidisc hardware -- CA680X, C800REC, a pair of MDX66XLP changers. I actually use the RH10 to drag/drop tracks onto Minidiscs for the car (LP and LP2 encoded). I recently wanted to use the HiMD capability of the RH10 (not for the car).

I have installed SonicStage 4.3 Ultimate and read the threads on here on troubleshooting it and it works great. I can import to Sonicstage, copy to and from MD, and encode at the same time as I copy with no reliability issues. I am running Windows XP under parallels on my Macintosh and generally pulling files into Sonicstage from my iTunes library so I can get them on to the Minidiscs. XP is fully patched SP3 and is a very, very thin install -- I use windows only for a couple programs and install as little as possible with it to keep it clean and simple.

The problem is, this works perfectly with standard 74/80 minute minidiscs, but as soon as I put a Hi-MD in the drive, I get my omgjbox.exe error. I have searched the forums and there are plenty of omgjbox errors to read about, but I can't find one person that says that their problem is unique to Hi-MD disks. I only have 1 HiMD disk, it was owned by someone else, and I did erase it through the RH10 controls.

If I am not running Sonicstage, the HiMD does appear on the desktop for file storage, so I believe the driver is working, but Sonicstage crashes with 100% certainty when it sees a HiMD in my player before anything happens. The omgjbox.exe process remains stuck in the process list inside of windows and after launching/crashing multiple times, there are multiple omgjbox processes in the list (I have had as many as 5). Killing the process, or process tree, does NOT remove them, I have to restart the XP box to remove them. DEP settings do not help.

If anyone has advice on how to solve this, or can point me to a relevant thread I missed in my searches, I would appreciate it. Thank you!

Start by turning off the feature which runs Sonic Stage whenever an Atrac Audio Device is connected (Tools->Options->General). Also... turn off Tools->Options->My Library->Play->File Settings, and uncheck ALL BOXES.

When we see what that does, we can give you more advice. You may have stumbled upon the problem several others have (I don't own a mac) commented on, with your careful description. I can tell you're a techie.... well done!

(what must be happening is that omgjbox a.k. SonicStage is being woken up every time the system sees a new HiMD disk. So if there's a way to make VMware or Parallels or whatever only ever invoke ONE copy of SS, we may be Ok).

There's one more thing to consider. If you put the RH1 into DiscMode=HiMD, then it may work fine (its in the menu settings on the unit itself). However you may see crashes every time it tries to switch to NetMD mode ie when you insert a legacy MD.

Actually, I think I've misled you with my description -- each running copy of OMGJBOX was launched by me. When it crashes, I cannot remove it from the process list in any way (killing the process or tree does nothing) and if I relaunch it, I end up creating a second instance of it. When that crashes, the next launch creates a third, and so on. There is not a second copy launching when I put in a Hi-MD.

The first checkbox (run Sonicstage automatically) is already unchecked, I manually launch it only. I removed the three file associations that it had but that doesn't seem to change anything. I have tried all the disc type settings, they also don't make a difference.

When I put in a Hi-MD, I hear a USB device disconnect from Windows, and then one connect, and then Sonicstage attempts to read the Hi-MD and crashes.

I ran an experiment -- I accessed the Hi-MD file system directly and trashed it by deleting the default folders. Then, Sonicstage could run without crashing with my Hi-MD in the drive. Of course, it reports a bad file system, so I initialize the Hi-MD from Sonicstage. It successfully formats, and then starts to talk to the new filesystem -- and dies. It seems to be related to it interacting with the Hi-MD.

I appreciate the advice. I am actually trying to load/patch a Win7 system instead under a virtual machine to see if the problem exists there as well.

Solved -- but not by any settings. Found references to a specific handshaking problem that Parallels under OSX has with Hi-MD and found someone else with the same problem who could not solve it.

I installed VirtualBox, an alternative software package for running Windows in a OSX environment (and free!) and it works there fine. I'm glad that the problem is not based on my inability to configure it right, but the OS host environment.

Hope this helps others who may be trying to do the same thing.

• 2 weeks later...

danox574 - thanks for your informative posts. I'm in a similar situation to you, with a HiMD portable (MZ-NH1) that I've successfully connected in the past to an old, slow laptop running WinXP and an earlier version of SonicStage.

I want to connect the HiMD device to my fast shiny MacBookPro (MBP), using the Win version of SonicStage 4.3 running on WinXP inside VirtualBox (VBox). This looks like what you have done, so gives me hope (maybe you're using Win7 rather than WinXP - I've had trouble with Win7 under VBox). But I'm not quite succeeding (despite many past successes with VBox), so I'd like your advice.

Where I get stuck is that when I connect the MZ-NH1 via usb to the MBP, OSX recognizes it as a device called Sony HiMD [0100] and mounts the disk (as NO NAME). But in VBox's Devices menu, this usb device is greyed out, so I cannot seem to connect it through into the virtual machine, and thus SonicStage doesn't see it.

I find this puzzling, because it looks like a driver problem (OSX not having the right driver for the MZ-NH1 interface - I assume my install of Sonic Stage would have installed the right driver in WinXP) BUT I rather gathered that SonicStage just uses the HiMD device as a mass storage device anyway - which is there on the OSX host side.

I'd be grateful for any light you could shed on this, specifically what steps you took when connecting your HiMD device through to the VBox virtual machine. I'm running OSX Lion (10.7.4) and VirtualBox 4.1.22 on the MBP., and Guest Additions are installed in the VM, and SP3 into the WinXP.

Many thanks in advance!

Silly me! Problem solved.

For the benefit of others - the problem lay precisely in the automounting by OSX. SonicStage or VBox didn't want the HiMD device mounted in the host environment, so the following steps worked:

- under OSX, eject the NO NAME HiMD disk/device

- in the VBox devices menu, the Sony HiMD usb device is no longer greyed out, so can select/check it

- WinXP installs the necessary (Sony?) driver, and requires a reboot

- voila, SonicStage sees the HiMD and its content.

Sorry for any bother, but hope this is informative for others.

Hello!

I´ve just acquired a Sony NW-HD3 and I would like to convert my music with SonicStage to ATRAC3Plus, using a bitrate of 256 kBit/s. The problem is: I´d like to use the High-Quality-encoding setting! I can do this with Sound Forge - but Sound Forge then looses the tags. Sonic Stage seems to be able to use the High Quality setting too - but only when ripping a CD directly. Is there a way (perhaps through a registry hack) to enable this also for direct transfers from the library to the walkman device?

• 5 months later...

Hello,

Thanks for all the informative posts, but I could not find any relating to my particular problem.

I try to install

SonicStage 4.3 "Ultimate" Release 2

to my (unfortunately) Windows XP sp3 and get the following error message multiple times at different times during the installation: "setup.exe- Unable to Locate Component 'This application has failed to start because LZ232.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem." I say unfortunate because I hate Windows, even though it has some good qualities, and have not gotten my new hdd in the mail yet so I can install Linux and dedicate that hdd to Linux alone....SOOOOO DONE WITH WINDOWS.

Anyways, after rebooting, surely enough the install did not work. I'm not sure if the error message is referring to re-installing the old version of SonicStage 2.1 that I previously had on before doing a complete uninstall, directory delete, and regedit deletes of all sony related registry entries (SonicStage 2.1 was the only Sony related anything that I have on my computer)...or if it's referring to re-installing the Ultimate Release. I will go try that now and update if it makes a difference, but I have a feeling it will not, as after trying to re-install SonicStage 2.1 multiple times and constantly getting error messages before deciding to try Ultimate, I get the bad feeling that something got corrupted in my hard disk after updating to SP3.

I know that some part of my hdd is corrupted because of a friend who tried to help me out by re-partitioning my drive to get rid of a dual-boot with linux Ubuntu that was causing all kinds of problems (mainly I could never use XP and couldn't get Ubuntu to work with wireless internet), but the friend apparently didn't know enough about what he was doing. However, even after doing this new partition, on which I am currently running XP SP3 and typing this message with, I had installed SonicStage 2.1 and it was working fine while on SP2...

I'm pretty sure it stopped working AFTER I updated to SP3...I'd say about 99% sure that's when it stopped working. I am running 32bit XP professional.

Any help would be truly appreciated so much, as this is the last mp3 player I have left after bricking one (dropped it a couple of times) and buying another that did not come with a native charger (can't charge the stupid thing even with a usb charge...just sits there forever saying it's charging but battery does not actually charge)... and I actually enjoy my Sony Network Walkman NW-S23 far better than those anyways even though it is much older...and I especially enjoy SonicStage when it is actually working!

P.S. I know this is a Sony thread and all, but would anyone happen to know if the newest I-Pods support ATRAC Plus in any way (even if you have to hack it), or was Sony the only ones smart enough to integrate such a killer sound file format?

I have a hunch u r trying to install to (or from) a path that is too long.

Create a brand new directory called c:temp (or some other name if taken) and start by unzipping the download into that. DO NOT run setup from within the zip file.

When you install, DO NOT choose the default path but pick or make somewhere like c:sonic or d:sonic, depending on where you have the most available space.

Hope this helps

I have a hunch u r trying to install to (or from) a path that is too long.

Create a brand new directory called c:temp (or some other name if taken) and start by unzipping the download into that. DO NOT run setup from within the zip file.

When you install, DO NOT choose the default path but pick or make somewhere like c:sonic or d:sonic, depending on where you have the most available space.

Hope this helps

Thanks so much for the help, sfbp. I followed your instructions exactly and received the exact same error message as in my last post.

The first time the error message shows up is right near the end of trying to install Open MG and then that same error message occurs several other times afterward during the course of the install.

I would really appreciate the help, but I'm considering just formatting the whole hdd and starting over because of all the problems I've had, hoping that will fix problems like this. It is strange though because it seems like perhaps Open MG got corrupted, because I have been able to install plenty of other programs with no problem. However, Adobe flash player refuses to install and also I can not uninstall Open Office...so I'm wondering if malware got through java or flash through Open Office and causing problems in the registry.

As you can probably tell, I'm not thoroughly acquainted with malware or whether it would have anything to do with messing up Open MG or not or keep me from being able to uninstall Open Office or cause problems with flash.

All I know is that my computer is screwed up in certain areas...including that I also can't repartition my drives because it says "corrupted" when I try to do so using Acronis Disk Director...so I'm hoping that a format of everything would fix all this stuff?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as I am not yet knowledgeable enough to know what to do. I'm hoping learning Linux will help fix that lack of knowledge.

Thanks for your time sfbp and thanks in advance if you can help.

Sounds like the most likely problem is that you have some piece of software attempting to PROTECT you. And it's messing up the OpenMG install.

Is Norton or McAfee or AVG turned on? If so, turn them off and try again. Make sure u hv internet conx and are not blocking OUTgoing connection attempts by the installer.

There's definitely one or two errors that can be ignored. But I'm sure you tried things right after the error you got....

• 1 month later...

its not working for me arvin

Welcome to the forums.

This post of yours, however is the most supremely uninformative post about a real problem that I've ever read, on this board or anywhere else.

1. There is/was nobody called "Arvin"

2. The person you apparently are referring to has not been here for a long time and this thread is 4 years old. I am now closing it.

3. The fact that "its not working for me" tells us nothing. There is software in the universe which fails (does not work) every day. Most of it fails because of user error, not because there's anything wrong with it.

If you would like your problem solved, perhaps you could start a new thread and explain (in detail) your problem. There are dozens, if not hundreds of people here who can help, but only if you tell the symptoms of your problem as best you can. Don't worry about not being able to explain something because you don't know the correct words for it... just do your best and we will try to see what your difficulty is.

For a start (one reason I am leaving this at the end of the thread) we need to know:

a. What version of Windows you are running, including whether it is 32-bit or 64-bit Windows

b. Does the Sonic Stage software complete (or mostly complete) the installation process?

c. If not b. then where does it fail?

d. If b. then what units (MD or HiMD) with model number (not serial number) such as MZ-RH1, MZ-NH700 etc are you using

e. What are you trying to do, transfer music TO or FROM the minidisc unit?

f. What sort of disk (standard 60/74/80 or 1GB) are you using?

g. If standard disk and HiMD recorder, how is the disk formatted (MD/NetMD or HiMD)?

Good luck