Adding functions to the MZ-NH600

Rate this topic

Avrin

First of all, I assume that anyone reading this has adequate experience in service mode setting changes. And in no case I assume any responsibility if anything goes wrong.

Those who may have used the "old school" resoldering method to get VPT functionality (which also caused Quick Mode to become inoperable, and introduced a useless (not supported by hardware) Charging mode), remove the jumper before continuing. The method is now obsolete, and the jumper may interfere with the new service mode settings.

Ready? OK.

1. Set the value at address 1941 (or its copy at address 0113) to 21. This removes any possible output power limitations, and enables the Backlight (Auto/On/Off) item in the Option menu on compatible remotes. If you also want Katakana titling on the unit and Japanese menu support on compatible remotes, then set this address to 23 instead of 21.

2. Set the value at address 1942 to 20. This enables the V-SUR item in the Sound menu, giving you you full VPT support without affecting any other functions (as before).

3. Set the value at address 1943 to 01. This enables the SpeedCtrl item in the Useful menu, giving you Digital Speed Control.

Regretfully, the unit does not have any line out circuitry. It is possible to enable the respective menu, but switching the mode to Line Out makes it produce no output signal at all.

Edited by Avrin

In case of the NH600 both modes do work, since the unit has the required hardware. The RH10 doesn't, so both these modes are useless. And the NH3D has VPT out of the box, but can also have working Speed Control enabled. And it looks like it also has line out hardware, but no way to enable the mode (since it may only be enabled with the remote disconnected).

EDIT: Speed Control does work on the NH3D.

Edited by Avrin

I'm sorry Avrin.

I put in manual mode my european MZ-NH700. I can see the 0113 address. I wrote in the pass the 01 code for US/Canada (Volume hack for MZ-RH1. PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK). But I cannot see the 1941, 1942 and 1943. Where are these codes in the service menu?.

Thanks!.

Not that I'm an expert (in fact it was the first time I'd gone past the original basic hack), but here's how I changed the values at addresses 1941-1943 on my UK NH600:

- Enter service mode 'normally', ie. Set Hold on , Press Group + FFBBFBFBPP

(F = Forward, B = Back, P = Pause)

- Press Vol+ TWICE to get to "1 NV" addresses (ie. bypassing the "0 Manual" addresses)

- Press F quite a few times to get 941 on first line of LCD. So this is address 1941 (?).

- Use Vol+ (or Vol-) to change the value on second line to 21, press Pause to save.

- Press F and repeat for addresses (1)942 (change to 20), and (1)943 (change to 01).

Anyway, this seems to have worked, and my NH600 now has V-Sur and Speed control functions!

Perhaps an expert (eg. Avrin) will confirm the procedure was correct...!

Absolutely correct!

The NH600 doesn't display the first digit of the address, so 1941 becomes 941. And forget about 0113, since a copy of this address (1941) is more conveniently located right next to the other two.

And I'm not sure about 01 at 1941. This doesn't seem to make any difference, but zero first bytes are only used for higher-end models (NH1, NH3D, RH1). For cheaper models (RH10, NH600), use 21 (or 23 for Katakana/Japanese remote support). As long as the first byte is less than 8 hex, you won't get output power limitations.

You're welcome - and congratulations on making your NH700 even better! Works great with my NH600. If only you could add a mic input and radio function onto it... :blink:

Be careful with your RH910 - you'll probably need to use the 2nd generation Hi-MD hack with that as I'm pretty sure the NH600/700 etc codes will not be appropriate.

The above hack will not work for the RH910, since it doesn't have VPT and Speed Control circuitry (and the addresses are actually different). You may enable the MD REC Mode selection menu on the RH910 by using the hack for the RH10, but remember that only SP and MONO work. And you'll lose MP3 download and playback capabilities, and the track list will look really strange when using the jog wheel. In any case, don't forget to write down the values your RH910 originally has, since those are different from the RH10.

The main difference between hacking first and second generation Hi-MD units is that in the former case you get fully operational additional functions (VPT, Speed Control, or both) without losing any original ones, while in the latter you only gain limited MD recording capabilities while losing MP3 playback and normal track navigation list.

However, European limitations are removed and Katakana titling/Backlight menu on the remote are added to all three generations at no cost.

Edited by Avrin

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

Just an FYI to all before I try this hack on my NH600 purchased in the US. I do a lot of live recording in my music practice studio, mostly with my

MZ-M200, a/k/a RH1 and a AudioTechnica 822 stereo condenser mike. This is a self powered mkie by way of a single AA battery.

Not too long ago I wanted to record my practice session but, only had my NH600 with me. I plugged the mike into the line in, set manual record levels at 23 as recommended and volia!...a beautiful recording indistingusable from those made on my M200. So, the line in on the NH600 functions as a mike input as well. At least on mine and with a powered mike.

Cheers y'all,

Jim

Well, I'm back already having just successfully performed the hack on my NH600. It took about 30 seconds.

Mainly I was after the Speed Control as I use it to help me transcribe complex jazz drumming. Sadly, however, the Speed Control activated seems to be the version is in all the Hi-MD models with that feature. It lowers or raises the speed while attempting to maintain the pitch. The result is a terribly degraded overall sound. the Speed control in older ATRAC models may lower the pitch somewhat along with the speed but, the sound of the instruments remains accurate and articulate. Is it known if this alternate Speed Control as is in the ATRAC models also is in the circuitry of the Hi-MD models and could be activated instead of the one that maintains pitch?

-Jim

The main difference between hacking first and second generation Hi-MD units is that in the former case you get fully operational additional functions (VPT, Speed Control, or both) without losing any original ones, while in the latter you only gain limited MD recording capabilities while losing MP3 playback and normal track navigation list.

However, European limitations are removed and Katakana titling/Backlight menu on the remote are added to all three generations at no cost.

Hi there,

Just an FYI to all before I try this hack on my NH600 purchased in the US. I do a lot of live recording in my music practice studio, mostly with my

MZ-M200, a/k/a RH1 and a AudioTechnica 822 stereo condenser mike. This is a self powered mkie by way of a single AA battery.

Not too long ago I wanted to record my practice session but, only had my NH600 with me. I plugged the mike into the line in, set manual record levels at 23 as recommended and volia!...a beautiful recording indistingusable from those made on my M200. So, the line in on the NH600 functions as a mike input as well. At least on mine and with a powered mike.

Cheers y'all,

Jim

Well, I'm back already having just successfully performed the hack on my NH600. It took about 30 seconds.

Mainly I was after the Speed Control as I use it to help me transcribe complex jazz drumming. Sadly, however, the Speed Control activated seems to be the version is in all the Hi-MD models with that feature. It lowers or raises the speed while attempting to maintain the pitch. The result is a terribly degraded overall sound. the Speed control in older ATRAC models may lower the pitch somewhat along with the speed but, the sound of the instruments remains accurate and articulate. Is it known if this alternate Speed Control as is in the ATRAC models also is in the circuitry of the Hi-MD models and could be activated instead of the one that maintains pitch?

It looks like only the "new" Speed Control mode is available in Hi-MD models.

Thanks. too bad because the other is so much more usefull and would be very convienent on my Hi-MD units.

BTW, I went back into service mode on my 600 and tried the two settings in Raintheory's hack for adding seed control to the MZ-R 700/G750/N707/N505 and N710. Those changes, ("7B' and"75" in place of the 00), both worked to add spepped control to the NH600 but, alsa it was still the Hi-MD version with degraded sound.

-J

correction: I meant Peter Maksymiuk's hack for adding features not Raintheory's. Sorry

the Speed control in older ATRAC models may lower the pitch somewhat along with the speed but, the sound of the instruments remains accurate and articulate. Is it known if this alternate Speed Control as is in the ATRAC models also is in the circuitry of the Hi-MD models and could be activated instead of the one that maintains pitch?

I've not yet seen a PORTABLE that that the pitch+speed change feature (like slowing down a tape). However this may be lack of experience. So far every single time I've encountered it (the feature you need) the model has been a DECK, whereas the "speed control" is what you get on portables?

Check?

I've not yet seen a PORTABLE that that the pitch+speed change feature (like slowing down a tape). However this may be lack of experience. So far every single time I've encountered it (the feature you need) the model has been a DECK, whereas the "speed control" is what you get on portables?

Check?

-I have used Peter Maksymiuk's hack, (See 11/21: Wild MZ-R700/R500 Hack), to add speed control to a G755, an N505 and just this week on a newly acquired N707. The activated speed control on all of these models does change the pitch along with the speed but, happily for my purposes, also produces very high quality, clear and articulate audio. Nothing like the smeared sounding result of slowing a tape as it moves across the pickup head.

Another difference from the speed control on the Hi-MDs is that speed+pitch feature on the ATRAC units slows to a maximum of 20% as opposed to 50%.

The music editing program 'Audacity' has a speed+pitch feature in its "Effects" drop down menu that produced the exact same sounding result as on the ATRAC units. Audacity also has Tempo, (changes speed but not pitch) and Pitch, (changes pitch but not speed a/k/a tempo), but the results are a degraded hollow echo and chopped sound like the Hi-MD feature.

My first MD unit was a MZ B-100 that I got specifically because of its speed control feature. (My last cassette machine that had a very good pitch/speed control, (a portable mono Sony/Superscope), finally died after 25 + years of use). That's when I first "discovered" minidisc..around mid '03 I think. I remember that it's speed control also lowered the pitch but, the overall sound was much cleaner than the B-10 that was also available at the store. I've since lost that B-100 through theft from a motel room, probably because I had it in what looked like a case for a point and click camera.

After the loss of my B-100 I moved right on to an RH1 which I love but, was disappointed by the sound degradation of it's speed control. That's when I acquired a much used N505 and took a chance on Peter Maksymiuk's hack.

BTW, many thanks to MDCF and all the smart technical contributors who allowed me to learn about this stuff and apply it. Of course I

Interesting! Me too (junkie). So there *is* a reason for the possession of my N505, strange because that was something I thought I had tried :) Of course I have some decks that do this, so I haven't cared until now, but what you say about the B10 is undoubtedly true. After you posted I discovered that my EH70 does indeed do speed control, but I needed the right remote as the MC40ELK that I was using wouldn't do it. It's just as you say, the pitch does not vary.

Strange that Sony would describe "speed control" as pitch control. Of course there are applications for each.

Interesting! Me too (junkie). So there *is* a reason for the possession of my N505, strange because that was something I thought I had tried smile.gif Of course I have some decks that do this, so I haven't cared until now, but what you say about the B10 is undoubtedly true. After you posted I discovered that my EH70 does indeed do speed control, but I needed the right remote as the MC40ELK that I was using wouldn't do it. It's just as you say, the pitch does not vary.

Strange that Sony would describe "speed control" as pitch control. Of course there are applications for each.

Yes, the descriptive title Sony gives the two versions of the feature is confusing and seems to change over the years and from model to model. I would just like to find a Hi-MD model that has a speed+pitch feature for the clean sound. I have an RH710 that is still encased in its clam shell packaging. Perhaps I'll break it out and see if it can be hacked and the result.

Ah, I just double checked about the speed control... no wonder I couldn't get it to work - I don't have an RM-MC11EL, nor am I likely to get one.

Afterthought: if I actually had one, what buttons would I press? Maybe I can find something here that will generate the same resistances.....

Duh... that didn't take long. An RM-MC38EL works fine. (I found the instructions, sort of, under the MZ-N1 manual). Hold display down (for 2 seconds as per the instructions) and then navigate with jog until it says "SPEED". Now press "GROUP+" exactly once, and the speed control menu appears. With the jog lever (still on the remote, nothing on the main unit does anything at all that I could find), change to different speeds. If you leave it playing by exiting the SPEED menu, an S will show on the remote display to indicate it is working at a different pitch.

I think someone (Giant_Rick) was desperate to get an RM-MC11EL for this purpose. Now he doesn't need one.

What a wonderful feature! Thanks for pointing it out.

One more addendum: I checked the 810 (710 presumably the same) and 910, they only change speed, not pitch, so the SQ is rubbish of course. I imagine someone at Sony thought the speed control at constant pitch would be more useful. Silly!

I would just like to find a Hi-MD model that has a speed+pitch feature for the clean sound.

I listen to a lot of spoken-word podcasts, and if I'm getting behind with them I often speed them up. Obviously sound quality isn't too important for these, but I'm sure that my RH1 gives a much better result than my NH1 - perhaps Sony had improved the technology for the third generation.

• 4 years later...

After doing the hack everything worked fine on my nh600 except I no longer get the title1 and 2 in the display menu and only see one line of text instead of 3. I have put the menu items back to default but the display stays the same ie one line of text instead of three with HiMd discs. Has anyone else had this problem and if so is it possible to get the original display back.

Thanks

Allan

I agree that the title1 and title2 options are gone forever. However, it's much easier to find these by pressing the display button on the remote (RM-MC38EL), assuming you have one. I for one have never used those options, it's too much of a pain as one always needs to switch back straightaway to something else.

Not only that, the full metadata is now shown in the only title line of the (main) unit's display. A much better solution IMHO.

Have you tried following the instructions for what to do after servicing, namely a "Resume Clear"? The unfortunate thing about the NH600/D service manual(s) is that they appear to rely on information contained in the NH900 service manual.

From looking around it seems highly likely that to get back to original state you may end up having to do a full service. Not advisable unless you have all the gear, though.

Ok thanks for the info, I thought I had changed the wrong value or something. I agree with you about the display of text I was never impressed with Sony's approach to the information they put on the 1st generation displays, 3 lines of 9 characters meant endless scrolling and areas left blank if HiMd mode was used, at least they improved things with rh910 onwards.

I managed to get a Panasonic SJ MR270 from Japan auction this was a 2004 MDLP NetMd device, it allows you to changed the font size in the menu and you can get two lines of 20 characters of text and it looks really good and no scrolling.

Thanks

Allan

• 6 years later...
On 9/25/2009 at 9:57 PM, KJ_Palmer said:

Not that I'm an expert (in fact it was the first time I'd gone past the original basic hack), but here's how I changed the values at addresses 1941-1943 on my UK NH600:

- Enter service mode 'normally', ie. Set Hold on , Press Group + FFBBFBFBPP

(F = Forward, B = Back, P = Pause)

- Press Vol+ TWICE to get to "1 NV" addresses (ie. bypassing the "0 Manual" addresses)

- Press F quite a few times to get 941 on first line of LCD. So this is address 1941 (?).

- Use Vol+ (or Vol-) to change the value on second line to 21, press Pause to save.

- Press F and repeat for addresses (1)942 (change to 20), and (1)943 (change to 01).

Anyway, this seems to have worked, and my NH600 now has V-Sur and Speed control functions!

Perhaps an expert (eg. Avrin) will confirm the procedure was correct...!

I just made changes to my newly adopted NH600D. 

941 changed to 21 (original 40)

942 changed to 20 (original 00)

943 changed to 01 (original 00)

Saved and pulled battery out for reset. Unfortunately the Menu button (long press) don't work anymore. Panic for a bit but thankfully I had NHF800 to the rescue to compare codes. I found out that changing 943 to 00 (or any value) will automatically change 944 to 01 (originally 00). 

Changed back 944 to 00 and the menu is working again.

Overall, 941, 942 and 943 doesn't pull out any extra VR sound etc. Reverted back to original position.

On 5/15/2014 at 5:59 AM, davidallan said:

After doing the hack everything worked fine on my nh600 except I no longer get the title1 and 2 in the display menu and only see one line of text instead of 3. I have put the menu items back to default but the display stays the same ie one line of text instead of three with HiMd discs. Has anyone else had this problem and if so is it possible to get the original display back.

Thanks

Allan

Compare the codes I have on NH600D and find out if it is identical

110 - xxxSCC

111 - Pw0000

112 - Sr0000

113 - SS00CC

114 - CS01A2

900 - xxxSCC

910 - xxxSCC

911 - xxxSCC

912 - xxxS00