This Disc Is Tough!

Rate this topic

RED SHIFT1

Back on the 13th, I used a Sony 80-minute disc to copy the sermon at church. I keep a deck there (but I can't remember the model) that I bought back in 1999 from Sears and use it to record the sermons in the mono mode. After the service that day, the disc just vanished! I could not find it anywhere...

Well, today (the 21st) I went to dump some clothes in the washer when I saw something down at the bottom; I picked it up and behold...the missing MD! I thought "well, this disc is now useless...". But I put it in the MZ-NH600 and it plays fine! After a week in the washing machine and it still works! I could not believe it...after a week of inumerable washings it still works!

• 3 weeks later...

Back on the 13th, I used a Sony 80-minute disc to copy the sermon at church. I keep a deck there (but I can't remember the model) that I bought back in 1999 from Sears and use it to record the sermons in the mono mode. After the service that day, the disc just vanished! I could not find it anywhere...

Well, today (the 21st) I went to dump some clothes in the washer when I saw something down at the bottom; I picked it up and behold...the missing MD! I thought "well, this disc is now useless...". But I put it in the MZ-NH600 and it plays fine! After a week in the washing machine and it still works! I could not believe it...after a week of inumerable washings it still works!

That's interesting... considering mds are not waterproof in anyway.

I think your clothes must have cushioned the fall =]

• 2 weeks later...

I sincerely hope they are VERY durable... But I did for safety sake buy some extra machines lately, mainly because they are anyhow ultra sheap here in Sweden and in hope they will last until I die... I did just pay about 60 euro for my last Sony MDS-JB730 and 40 euro for a Sony ND-GR810 *hehe*

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi All,

Another report on the toughness of these dics. I'm not proud to reveal this but, last night I not only sent a Sony 80 minute disc through the washing machine, in hot water but, then put it through the dryer...on Hi Heat and it's one of thos big industrial type dryers that get really hot.

The disc plays just fine...and it's really clean!

I have had trouble, however, washing and drying Memorex discs. Just kidding but, I have had troublesome Memorex discs in general and am reluctant to use them.

If someone has a disc they recorded in 1980, we could now test the 30 year question. Anyone?

jmsla

-Jim

Unless you throw in your MD into the dryer that has puts out giant magnetic fields, then no, I don't think it damages the data integrity on the disc itself.

Something to do with the way magneto-optical technology works, which MD employs.

Wasn't there an obscure thread around here about someone leaving a minidisc in a car on a hot day and finding out their music being wiped clean or something?

Unless you throw in your MD into the dryer that has puts out giant magnetic fields, then no, I don't think it damages the data integrity on the disc itself.

Something to do with the way magneto-optical technology works, which MD employs.

Wasn't there an obscure thread around here about someone leaving a minidisc in a car on a hot day and finding out their music being wiped clean or something?

I was most concerned about the discs' trip in the dryer. It was very warm when I discovered it and, thought the outer case seemed fine, I was concerned that the disc could have warped from the heat. I've seen CDs that warped in a hot car or from being on a shelf that was sitting directly on a room radiator.

Also, I can't see how the disc cases could be waterproof because of the little metal door that slides open to reveal the disc surfaces. Becausae of that enterance point I do worry about dust and very fine powder migrating into the case and from there into the guts of my machines.

I doubt its a good idea to keep on using a mindisc especially for recording, that had been put through a washer as I seem to remembet that the top surface has a lubricant for the magnetic record head, which touches the top surface? This lubricant layer has probably been compromised by any soapy hot water & there maybe be subsequent damage to the record head?

I doubt its a good idea to keep on using a mindisc especially for recording, that had been put through a washer as I seem to remembet that the top surface has a lubricant for the magnetic record head, which touches the top surface? This lubricant layer has probably been compromised by any soapy hot water & there maybe be subsequent damage to the record head?

Oh Great! Now if I can just remember which disc it was. I know it was a newly recorded Sony 80 min. Color Collection w/ a red case. Yiles!