#1 nathantw666

nathantw666

Competent

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 02:41 PM

Howdy,
Now that Windows 7 is offically released, have any of you beta users had any success installing Sonicstage 4.3 onto your 64-bit systems? Everything I look at says it's not compatible. However, I did see one person had tried a XP compatibility mode. Does that work under 64-bit?

Thanks in advance.

Nathan

#2 sfbp

sfbp

Inquisitor

• Administrators
  • 4,686 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 02:59 PM

I think you have to download the XP compatibility add-on, if it's not actually included with the RTM Windows 7/64. Essentially it's a whole copy of XP. It should work flawlessly, and I think someone here tried it already.

No I haven't tried it, as I don't have a need for Win64 currently.

#3 dispher

dispher

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • PlayStation Network ID:dispher

Posted 26 October 2009 - 04:50 PM

Hello,

SonicStage 4.3 + Windows 7 x64 (RTM) = No Problems at all! <=== no XP compatibility mode needed

Used with: MZ-NH1, MZ-RH1, NW-S703F, NW-A808, NWA3000

Upload download ripping transcoding titling.... general use is working as you would expect!

:imsohappy:

Attached Files

#4 sfbp

sfbp

Inquisitor

• Administrators
  • 4,686 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 05:46 PM

Sure, as long as you don't need NetMD compatibility. Presumably all of these devices speak Atrac3+, perhaps you conld confirm that it's possible/not-possible to upload from SP disk on RH1?

Stephen

#5 Avrin

Avrin

Virtuoso

• VIP's
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:03 AM

SP upload won't work.

#6 sfbp

sfbp

Inquisitor

• Administrators
  • 4,686 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:27 AM

My prediction too... I just wanted to establish the facts. It occurs to me that (maybe??) the RTM release simply throws in the XP compatibility mode for free and installs it without telling you, since W7 installation is pretty painless (they don't ask you much of anything by way of choices, in sharp contrast to earlier versions).

I'm interested in the response because brother-in-law asked me the same question and we ended up poring over spec sheets for different intel processors, and looking on microsoft.com for answers to such questions. An affirmative from OP here would shortcut a lot of mucking around :)

#7 Avrin

Avrin

Virtuoso

• VIP's
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 12:23 PM

Problems are not with XP compatibility. 32-bit drivers still won't work on a 64-bit XP. And SONY won't create 64-bit driver versions for obsolete products. There's too much work: http://www.microsoft...it_chklist.mspx

Edited by Avrin, 27 October 2009 - 12:23 PM.

#8 sfbp

sfbp

Inquisitor

• Administrators
  • 4,686 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 02:32 PM

My understanding is that someone else here tried it, successfully. But confirmation would be nice. I looked at the requirements for running XP compatibility mode, and they seemed daunting (ie many 64-bit CPU's appeared to be unsupported, lacking Intel's VT feature).

However this sort of reminds me of running DOS drivers under Windows 95. It worked!

#9 Avrin

Avrin

Virtuoso

• VIP's
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 03:00 PM

Microsoft claims to have enabled transparent USB support for Windows XP Mode under Windows 7 (using the latest version of their Virtual PC). If this is true, everything will work fine in this mode. But not directly under 64-bit Windows 7. And not with Virtual PC 2007 or earlier.

And I don't think that the RTM version of Windows 7 already includes Windows XP Mode. After all, it's a 500 Mb download.

#10 dachosenone

dachosenone

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • PlayStation Network ID:chosen_one

Posted 02 November 2009 - 11:11 AM

yep downloaded it, currently using it with no problem. Only thing tho, the english version of the software have trouble displaying japanese/chinese char in the program and have problem upload files to sonicstage if there is chars involving japanese and chinese

#11 Loque

Loque

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • PlayStation Network ID:Loque-1

Posted 02 December 2009 - 02:56 PM

So let me get this straight. You CAN use SP mode under winxp compatibility mode?

#12 dunebug81

dunebug81

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:01 PM

I know this is old but I'd like to know if Win7 64bit edition will will allow for uploads of both PCM and HI-SP recordings via Sonic Stage. My poor computer is on its last leg and will be looking for a new one soon.

#13 sfbp

sfbp

Inquisitor

• Administrators
  • 4,686 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 06:04 PM

yes - as long as you only need HiMD, it should be fine. NetMD will not work unless you have WinXP 32 bit compatibility mode. HiMD is using only the file system over USB, essentially. NetMD has its own protocols and drivers (being from an earlier, and coincidentally, more paranoid) era.

You'll only get WinXP compatibility mode in the non-base versions of W64.

(note: this information is now out of date, there is a NetMD 64-bit driver available in our downloads section).

#14 dunebug81

dunebug81

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:42 PM

yes - as long as you only need HiMD, it should be fine. NetMD will not work unless you have WinXP 32 bit compatibility mode. HiMD is using only the file system over USB, essentially. NetMD has its own protocols and drivers (being from an earlier, and coincidentally, more paranoid) era.

You'll only get WinXP compatibility mode in the non-base versions of W64.

I only record in PCM or HI-SP with my RH1. I strictly use it as a recorder and nothing else...so I should be good to go.

So any version of Windows 7 should work just fine for me.

#15 WaywardTraveller

WaywardTraveller

Itinerant Nomad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts
  • PlayStation Network ID:Sharp IM-MT880, Sony Hi-MD MZ-NH600(x2)/700/800/NH900(x2)/NH1(goldx2)/RH910/DS-HMD1 Hi-MD Data Storage Unit (grey)

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:33 AM

has anyone here tried restoring a music DB made in XP with SS 4,3 running on 64-bit Win7?

It shouldn't make a difference...byt I work with technology far too much to trust it and my music DB is 78GB...would hate to lose it, and I'm installing Win7 since my XP died....:(

#16 Azureal

Azureal

Professional

• Valued Contributors
  • 612 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:37 AM

I have done it and it worked fine for me. I only have 22GB though .. :-)

#17 sfbp

sfbp

Inquisitor

• Administrators
  • 4,686 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:46 AM

has anyone here tried restoring a music DB made in XP with SS 4,3 running on 64-bit Win7?

It shouldn't make a difference...byt I work with technology far too much to trust it and my music DB is 78GB...would hate to lose it, and I'm installing Win7 since my XP died....:(

I assume you already decrypted everything? IF NOT, STOP RIGHT THERE AND REVIVE XP FOR LONG ENOUGH TO DO SO....

If you did decrypt it (File Conversion Tool) then the files can be used in anything where you can actually install SonicStage.

NetMD drivers are a whole separate issue, of course. All is well unless you need M-Crew and PCLink.

I have never done the Sony-provided backup/restore. I bow to Azureal's expertise in this area.

Stephen

#18 WaywardTraveller

WaywardTraveller

Itinerant Nomad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts
  • PlayStation Network ID:Sharp IM-MT880, Sony Hi-MD MZ-NH600(x2)/700/800/NH900(x2)/NH1(goldx2)/RH910/DS-HMD1 Hi-MD Data Storage Unit (grey)

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:34 AM

I assume you already decrypted everything? IF NOT, STOP RIGHT THERE AND REVIVE XP FOR LONG ENOUGH TO DO SO....

If you did decrypt it (File Conversion Tool) then the files can be used in anything where you can actually install SonicStage.

NetMD drivers are a whole separate issue, of course. All is well unless you need M-Crew and PCLink.

I have never done the Sony-provided backup/restore. I bow to Azureal's expertise in this area.

Stephen

hmmm...not sure what you mean by "decrypting"...I just use the backup tool and let SS do its thing....?

All of the files are in .oma format and not .mp3, if that's what you mean.

#19 sfbp

sfbp

Inquisitor

• Administrators
  • 4,686 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 12:51 PM

I mean that you ran the File Conversion Tool and DEseleted the "copy protection" box.

If not, and anything at all goes wrong you are up a creek without a paddle (actually a friend of mine has figured out a way round it, but this information is not public yet, and possibly may never be).

You need to get that XP box up, at least temporarily, or you are in for all sorts of unpleasant surprises, IMHO.

#20 WaywardTraveller

WaywardTraveller

Itinerant Nomad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:24 AM

I mean that you ran the File Conversion Tool and DEseleted the "copy protection" box.

If not, and anything at all goes wrong you are up a creek without a paddle (actually a friend of mine has figured out a way round it, but this information is not public yet, and possibly may never be).

You need to get that XP box up, at least temporarily, or you are in for all sorts of unpleasant surprises, IMHO.

Thanks for the info. I never, ever, ever use copy protection though - the vast majority of my music is burned straight from CD. I'm hoping that means I don't have to worry about this problem!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users