Windows 7 64-bit Sonicstage 4.3

Rate this topic

nathantw666

I think you have to download the XP compatibility add-on, if it's not actually included with the RTM Windows 7/64. Essentially it's a whole copy of XP. It should work flawlessly, and I think someone here tried it already.

No I haven't tried it, as I don't have a need for Win64 currently.

My prediction too... I just wanted to establish the facts. It occurs to me that (maybe??) the RTM release simply throws in the XP compatibility mode for free and installs it without telling you, since W7 installation is pretty painless (they don't ask you much of anything by way of choices, in sharp contrast to earlier versions).

I'm interested in the response because brother-in-law asked me the same question and we ended up poring over spec sheets for different intel processors, and looking on microsoft.com for answers to such questions. An affirmative from OP here would shortcut a lot of mucking around :)

Problems are not with XP compatibility. 32-bit drivers still won't work on a 64-bit XP. And SONY won't create 64-bit driver versions for obsolete products. There's too much work: http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/driver/kernel/64bit_chklist.mspx

Edited by Avrin

My understanding is that someone else here tried it, successfully. But confirmation would be nice. I looked at the requirements for running XP compatibility mode, and they seemed daunting (ie many 64-bit CPU's appeared to be unsupported, lacking Intel's VT feature).

However this sort of reminds me of running DOS drivers under Windows 95. It worked!

Microsoft claims to have enabled transparent USB support for Windows XP Mode under Windows 7 (using the latest version of their Virtual PC). If this is true, everything will work fine in this mode. But not directly under 64-bit Windows 7. And not with Virtual PC 2007 or earlier.

And I don't think that the RTM version of Windows 7 already includes Windows XP Mode. After all, it's a 500 Mb download.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

yes - as long as you only need HiMD, it should be fine. NetMD will not work unless you have WinXP 32 bit compatibility mode. HiMD is using only the file system over USB, essentially. NetMD has its own protocols and drivers (being from an earlier, and coincidentally, more paranoid) era.

You'll only get WinXP compatibility mode in the non-base versions of W64.

(note: this information is now out of date, there is a NetMD 64-bit driver available in our downloads section).

yes - as long as you only need HiMD, it should be fine. NetMD will not work unless you have WinXP 32 bit compatibility mode. HiMD is using only the file system over USB, essentially. NetMD has its own protocols and drivers (being from an earlier, and coincidentally, more paranoid) era.

You'll only get WinXP compatibility mode in the non-base versions of W64.

I only record in PCM or HI-SP with my RH1. I strictly use it as a recorder and nothing else...so I should be good to go.

So any version of Windows 7 should work just fine for me.

• 11 months later...

has anyone here tried restoring a music DB made in XP with SS 4,3 running on 64-bit Win7?

It shouldn't make a difference...byt I work with technology far too much to trust it and my music DB is 78GB...would hate to lose it, and I'm installing Win7 since my XP died....:(

has anyone here tried restoring a music DB made in XP with SS 4,3 running on 64-bit Win7?

It shouldn't make a difference...byt I work with technology far too much to trust it and my music DB is 78GB...would hate to lose it, and I'm installing Win7 since my XP died....:(

I assume you already decrypted everything? IF NOT, STOP RIGHT THERE AND REVIVE XP FOR LONG ENOUGH TO DO SO....

If you did decrypt it (File Conversion Tool) then the files can be used in anything where you can actually install SonicStage.

NetMD drivers are a whole separate issue, of course. All is well unless you need M-Crew and PCLink.

I have never done the Sony-provided backup/restore. I bow to Azureal's expertise in this area.

Stephen

I assume you already decrypted everything? IF NOT, STOP RIGHT THERE AND REVIVE XP FOR LONG ENOUGH TO DO SO....

If you did decrypt it (File Conversion Tool) then the files can be used in anything where you can actually install SonicStage.

NetMD drivers are a whole separate issue, of course. All is well unless you need M-Crew and PCLink.

I have never done the Sony-provided backup/restore. I bow to Azureal's expertise in this area.

Stephen

hmmm...not sure what you mean by "decrypting"...I just use the backup tool and let SS do its thing....?

All of the files are in .oma format and not .mp3, if that's what you mean.

I mean that you ran the File Conversion Tool and DEseleted the "copy protection" box.

If not, and anything at all goes wrong you are up a creek without a paddle (actually a friend of mine has figured out a way round it, but this information is not public yet, and possibly may never be).

You need to get that XP box up, at least temporarily, or you are in for all sorts of unpleasant surprises, IMHO.

I mean that you ran the File Conversion Tool and DEseleted the "copy protection" box.

If not, and anything at all goes wrong you are up a creek without a paddle (actually a friend of mine has figured out a way round it, but this information is not public yet, and possibly may never be).

You need to get that XP box up, at least temporarily, or you are in for all sorts of unpleasant surprises, IMHO.

Thanks for the info. I never, ever, ever use copy protection though - the vast majority of my music is burned straight from CD. I'm hoping that means I don't have to worry about this problem!

Thanks for the info. I never, ever, ever use copy protection though - the vast majority of my music is burned straight from CD. I'm hoping that means I don't have to worry about this problem!

Unless I'm losing my mind here, ALL music when initially imported by SS (except in the Atrac Advanced Lossless format) is encrypted.

The (minor) problem is that I tend to use MD backwards from everyone else, recording stuff on MD and uploading to PC and/or making CD's from it.

Never mind my warnings. Just try it. Can you take one of your files on the (dead) hard drive and use it in Sonic Stage? Just one. Never mind the backup/restore step. "just" find the file, and copy it. Will it play?

(the good news is, if most of your tracks are from CDs and you still own the CD's you have "no problem" except lotsa work).

• 1 year later...

I see this is an old topic but I have a similar problem now. I have read the whole thread and cannot make complete sense of it as it relates to my problem. I have used Sonicstage for a long time with my MZ-rh1 running under windows XP. Many months ago, I upgraded to Windows 7 64-bit. Recently, when I finally got around to using Sonicstage, I found it would not convert the files for uploading to my PC.

I am not familiar with all of the nuances of what is necessary to make changes to my Windows 7 system so that I can use sonic stage. I have a little bit of knowledge, I guess just enough to be dangerous! Anyway, there are several terms that I'm not familiar with and I'm also afraid of doing permanent damage or making nonreversible changes to my Windows 7 system. My first thought was to upgrade from Windows Home Premium version to Windows Professional {etc.} which supposedly enables you to then download some software that lets you operate in Windows XP mode. I guess this is referred to as "compatibility mode".... Here is the link that seems to say this is what I need to do.:http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/en_US/pd/productID.228663600?WT.mc_id=mercent&mr:trackingCode=DFCB13AA-D1D4-E011-B18D-001B21A69EB0&mr:referralID=NA

Of course, this does not make specific reference to Sonicstage and a computer geek friend of mine was afraid to tell me to do it since he was wary that old applications often don't work with Windows 7, even when certain steps are followed. Then I read the above thread, which seems to address my specific problem, but I still don't understand the specific steps I should take. For example, I have no idea what "RTM" is referring to.... And what some people seem to say in the thread is that a certain procedure works for them and then other people say it didn't work! So I'm confused.

Can anyone tell me where I can find a definitive answer to my problem with specific simple steps to follow? I've got hundreds of minidiscs that I've recorded and now can't upload to Windows 7 64-bit! Thanks for your help... Tom

If you have the energy, "just" read this:

If you don't, get the download and install the NetMD driver from here:

"RTM" means Release To Manufacturing (as opposed to Beta Test) and means the for-sale, current, supported, "final" version of a product (before any updates that is).

If you have the energy, "just" read this:

If you don't, get the download and install the NetMD driver from here:

"RTM" means Release To Manufacturing (as opposed to Beta Test) and means the for-sale, current, supported, "final" version of a product (before any updates that is).

thank you for your reply. I started to download the driver and noticed that the instruction indicated that if you are using high, med, sonic stage should work on 64-bit Windows 7 system. So I tried it again and let me describe what happens to see if you can make sense of this: I connect my eye mid recorder to the computer using the USB cable and bring up it's Sony sonic stage. I click on the transfer window and it brings up my files. I highlight one of the files and click on the arrow and it indicates with a percentage reading that it's transferring and when it's completed transferring it makes a little bell sounded, signifying the transfer is complete. But then I can not find the file that has been transferred! When I had Windows XP, it was very easy to find that file and then I had options to convert it to a wave file and have it placed in a certain directory. But that's not happening now. Can you make sense of this? Thank you again for your help

So all is working, at least for HiMD files. However you don't want the system crashing when you insert a NetMD disk (or leave the drive with no disk - and the disc mode set to MD), so a good idea to install the right driver. You come here, you get the right answer, you take the advice, please no "I **just** want it to work", or we'll be digging you out from under in a few weeks when the next problem happens.

You should look and see where SS is putting the files. It will be somewhere complicated (not to say goofy) but you can change that. There's a menu option under Tools->Options->Location to save imported files.

No need to convert to WAV every time, but it is a good idea to decrypt all your uploaded oma's by running the File Conversion Tool (available under Tools also, but only when you are in the "My Library" display), at least once a week. That way if something goes wrong and you have to reinstall, you only lose the last week of uploads :)

thanks for the tips. Everything seems to be working back to normal now. In hindsight, it looks like the only thing that changed when I upgraded to Windows 7 64-bit was that for some unknown reason, SonicStage changed the location where the transferred files were saved. Once I found out where the location was, everything was fine. So my initial conclusion, that SonicStage doesn't work with Windows 7 64-bit, was wrong! at least it seems to work just fine with HiMed. I had even called Sony technical support and they confirmed that it didn't work and that I would have to find somebody that was running Windows XP in order to upload files. That was crazy!

Anyway, thanks again. Nice to know your are here! Tom