Best NetMD - MDLP unit for playback

Rate this topic

Giant_Rick

After a lot of (internal) back and forth on this issue, I have tentatively decided that HiMD units play LP2 and lP4 back better than the NetMD units themselves. All HiMD have Type-S.

For durability and good looks, it is hard to beat the MZ-N910. But for only playback, the HiMD player-only unit I have, the MZ-EH70, is a treat. And you can also make a HiMD disk that holds about 6 times as much stuff, at the same exact data rate (LP2), namely 16 hours, and listen to exactly the same music on it.

I have seen NH700 for as little as 20 pounds, and several between 30 and 40.

Another option if you just want something to play back, is the MZ-DN430. I just saw the first one of these today and they go for $15-30 if you are lucky, brand new. Quite decent sound indeed, but only a USB for input, and only headphones (no remote) for output.

• Like 1

I have an N510 and a DN430. Both sound really good. I also have some S1's which, I know, are type R. They both sound excellent to me. I figured I'd take the (possible) slight noise quality hit and lack of remote for bombproof (especially in Orygun) performance of the S1. I can say those DN430's sound just fine. I think you can find that model with a radio too :)

• Like 2

Just having Type-R is not enough for a unit to sound good. A good amp is also required. Preferably of the analogue kind, e.g., TOSHIBA TA2131FL used in some pre-HiMD units (NH600/NH700/NHF800 are equipped with TOSHIBA TA2131FLG).

Edited by Avrin
  • Like 1

Another option if you just want something to play back, is the MZ-DN430. I just saw the first one of these today and they go for $15-30 if you are lucky, brand new. Quite decent sound indeed, but only a USB for input, and only headphones (no remote) for output.

Where a so cheap NH700?!

I remember that the cheapest one I found was about 75

The DN430 does have excellent sound, including Type S for LP playback. It's major drawback for me is that AFAIK, you cannot display time remaining, only elapsed track time. That is annoying, but the unit is so inexpensive that it can be overlooked. If there's a way to display time remaining, I'd like to know about it.

The DN430 does have excellent sound, including Type S for LP playback. It's major drawback for me is that AFAIK, you cannot display time remaining, only elapsed track time. That is annoying, but the unit is so inexpensive that it can be overlooked. If there's a way to display time remaining, I'd like to know about it.

get a mz-n510 it hos excellent sound and very reliable button operation. i think my mz-n707 sounds better but the buttons dont work properly on the two units i have.

• 3 weeks later...

If you need lp2 or lp4 a 910 is a good idea, but I prefer the 909 with its larger display.Ii also can read the date stamp on recordings.

If you only need SP, then to my ears nothing sounds better than an Mzr 50 which is an old unit that can be picked up quite cheaply.

:thank_you2:

If you need lp2 or lp4 a 910 is a good idea, but I prefer the 909 with its larger display.Ii also can read the date stamp on recordings.

If you only need SP, then to my ears nothing sounds better than an Mzr 50 which is an old unit that can be picked up quite cheaply.

:thank_you2:

Type S only impacts LP2 and LP4 playback. Below are random posts I've assembled over the years regarding Type R vs. Type S, because I always had trouble keeping it straight:

"type R : only works on recording side on SP only

it's a better alogrithm to analyse the bits from ur recording source

type S : type S DOES include type R

additional thing is the improvement on playback of LP2/LP4 tracks

type S only works when u have a player that have type S and only works when playing LP2/LP4 tracks, will not works for SP tracks

main difference :

type R works at recording side

type S works both at recording side(coz it include type R) and playback side(for LP2/LP4 only)

type S claimed to produce better sound at playback side on treble part of LP2/LP4 tracks

and, type R only work in real time recording

any fast cd-->md dubbing won't have type R function

if u doubt about type R only work at real time, u can contact Sony CS representative at ur region

no, this information is hidden from ur manuals

but, if u ever contact any one in Sony who know something about MD, they will surely tell u what I've just told u

"ATRAC Type-S is just a combined, one-chip DSP for the ATRAC Type-R codec used for SP mode and the ATRAC3 codec used for MDLP modes. Supposedly, Type-S increases the SNR of LP2 and LP4 encodings by 6dB upon playback, but doesn't offer any improvement for SP encodings."

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the replies!

I mainly use LP2.. so Type-S will do the trick.

A few days ago Ifound a nice N510 for about 10£ but I didn't win it :(

How about the Sharp units? I know they are generally better than the Sony (pre Hi-MD) ones for recording..

The N510 is a great unit, it has Type-S, optical recording in, it has nice button feel and is easy to use. Note that it takes a single AA battery not a gumstick type and is thus rather bulky compared to other units. I think this is actually a plus as I also have plenty of hi-capacity NiMH AA's. There is no mic input. I use mine solely as a digital optical recording unit.

Like you, I make heavy use of LP2 and am searching for the best player. I bought a E510 which is a Type-S player-only unit. While sounding great it has a horrible cheap feel to the case (aluminum cover only) and ugly buttons. I'd avoid it.

I'm now trying to source a N910 which is probably the best for our needs. It also has a larger, more robust eject mechanism switch which is going to be used more often in a player unit. I had a blue N910 years ago which is a great little unit, before I went over to the dark side and bought an iPod Nano 2nd gen and now back to MD. It's just a shame there seems to be nothing in the UK that is a N910-ish, compact, svelte Type-S player only. The closest is the the E909 which looks great but does not have Type-S :(

• 3 weeks later...

please help

do you have the drivers for the minidisc netMD usb driver for the DR420 minidisc or similar? so i can downlaod it and use sonic stage or beatjam? please please help- i have been looking for it for 12 hours :(

please help

do you have the drivers for the minidisc netMD usb driver for the DR420 minidisc or similar? so i can downlaod it and use sonic stage or beatjam? please please help- i have been looking for it for 12 hours :(

please help

please email it to baid@live.co.uk

i will be forever grateful

• 1 year later...

The best sound ever I heard on minidisc portables was on my ex. MZ-R900.

If you no need NetMD and want to use the unit only for listening - MZ-R900 is your choice.

I have compared a lot of units with the playback of the same minidisc and the same track recorded via optical in SP (true SP).

So it means that i compared the difference of the influence of electronics on these devices.

I must note that R900 sounds better than my Hi-MD RH910 on the same track.

The best sound on the non-MDLP units was at MZ-R70.

I must note that i haven`t listened all the minidisc portables, so may be I`m wrong. But i have listened a lot of them.

The best Hi-MD units for playback through a good Hi-Fi are those with the analogue amp (NH600/NH700/NHF800). They also sound really good through good headphones. ONKYO decks are probably also good, but I've never heard one.

I have ordered a NH600 on eBay. The unit wait for me in France.

I was not aware that NH600 could have a better sound than the MZ-RH1.

Got a NH900 too, so I will have a match to do between 3 Hi-MD generation..

The NH600 is a great little machine, a bit clunky (big, with bulges) but it runs forever on a single AA battery and plays every imaginable ATRAC format. I have the Euro model with the optical input, some US versions did not have this or the remote jack I think. Also, I think it has the analog amp which gives it a really smooth great sound. You'll love it!