Help mz-r909 lost recording/ malfunction

Rate this topic

zoe25

Hi I wonder if someone can save my sanity!

I was dividing a track recorded live on my 909 when it got stuck on toc edit for a while.

I thought everything was ok till I tried playing the ms and nothing.

I ejected it then put it back in to see the heart stopping message BLANK disc!

I tried it in another MD and still it registered as blank.

I have since tried recording on another blank MD with the 909-it appears to record,says saving recording but after the disc is still blank.

Does anyone know what the matter is with the 909 and more importantly can I get back the lost recording?

It was recorded in SP.

Thanks

search the forum for TOC cloning, may work for you, sounds like your units record or overwrite head cable is failing, if you have another unit, use it, don't use the 909 till you can get it checked out, you will lose everthing you put into it

Bob

Hi I wonder if someone can save my sanity!

I was dividing a track recorded live on my 909 when it got stuck on toc edit for a while.

I thought everything was ok till I tried playing the ms and nothing.

I ejected it then put it back in to see the heart stopping message BLANK disc!

I tried it in another MD and still it registered as blank.

I have since tried recording on another blank MD with the 909-it appears to record,says saving recording but after the disc is still blank.

Does anyone know what the matter is with the 909 and more importantly can I get back the lost recording?

It was recorded in SP.

Thanks

There should be no problem to recover your recording with TOC cloning, if

1. Data has actually been recorded. Have you been able to play your track once ?

2. Nothing has been recorded on the damaged minidisc since the failed divide attempt.

If those conditions are met, I can try to restore a TOC for you with my Sony MDS-JB920 deck. You'll have to send the minidisc. I live in Toulouse, France.

Yipee

I managed to restore the lost recording using an old SP midi sized deck following the instructions above. I first tried using a jb980 but it wouldnt go into service mode using the ams button luckily i still had an older unit.

thanks to all who helped and offered assistance

I still love small things........minidisc! :give_heart2:

Yeah, I have yet to find a service manual for my JB980. It seems to have acquired some other quirks during the heyday of Sony's protecting downloaded recordings, too. You have a fair bit of *other* equipment there too.

Just out of curiosity which deck did you use?

Yes it was an MDS-SD1 and with this you press enter when you cut the power.

When you reconnect it the toc source disc pops out automatically ready to recieve the disc that needs to be fixed-how neat is that!

Below is a pic of the unit, which I cant seem to find in the equipment browser.

post-109052-125923539925_thumb.jpg

Yes it was an MDS-SD1 and with this you press enter when you cut the power.

When you reconnect it the toc source disc pops out automatically ready to recieve the disc that needs to be fixed-how neat is that!

post-109052-125923539925_thumb.jpg

The very first minidisc deck I bought ! I still have two such elegant units.

Aha, allegedly this only was sold with the HCD-SD1 making (together) the bookshelf system CMT-SD1. This is where it is in the browser.

Do tell, can it in fact be coupled to other units such as a PC or regular CD player? I had never noticed this one before.

I bought this on Amazon some time ago in the UK.

It has normal phono inputs and outputs plus digital input via opt and is connected in the usual manner to my amp.

And it looks great at night with the blue lights on.

Zoe

I bought this on Amazon some time ago in the UK.

It has normal phono inputs and outputs plus digital input via opt and is connected in the usual manner to my amp.

And it looks great at night with the blue lights on.

Zoe

The MDS-SD1 gracefully switches to analog in, when no digital in signal is present. Cool feature, as there is no input select switch on the unit (nor menu entry).
  • Like 1

The MDS-SD1 gracefully switches to analog in, when no digital in signal is present. Cool feature, as there is no input select switch on the unit (nor menu entry).

Yes that really stunned me when it first did it out of the blue!

So its unique in that respect then?

Probably, the caring Sony engineer that conceived this unit was kind enough to add this feature for us (MD lovers not interested in purchasing the main CD/tuner/amplifier unit and speakers) while respecting the design constraints imposed by the bookshelf system integration. Elegant, I say.

I've no idea about the Sony receivers as I don't own one. But I recently bought an Onkyo receiver (not MD, just AV receiver with lots of inputs and outputs). It does exactly the same trick. If there's digital on the same input, the digital wins (and the analog cuts out).

• Like 1

I've no idea about the Sony receivers as I don't own one. But I recently bought an Onkyo receiver (not MD, just AV receiver with lots of inputs and outputs). It does exactly the same trick. If there's digital on the same input, the digital wins (and the analog cuts out).

It is a really neat trick!