Sony NH1 Remote And Sound Quality

Rate this topic

stargazer_tom1

Hi people,

Noticed that when using my NH1 the sound is more detailed and refined if i plug my headphones strait into the player i.e. i don't use the remote. Anyone else found this? The difference is minimal but i find it more enjoyable to listen without a remote. Does anyone else use the clamp fitters that came with their NH1? i find they don't really do anything they seem to help a little when recording with the mic though but in regards to playback i cant hear them doing anything.

listening at hi-sp on sennheiser IE7

Thanks guys,

-Tom

A remote introduces additional contacts and active electronics (if it has a display), which may affect sound quality, so it is obviously better not to use it. The cleaner the path, the better the sound.

The clamp filters do not affect sound quality in any way, and are totally useless in a normally working system. Their only function is to prevent the respective cable from becoming a radio noise transmitting antenna in case your computer turns mad and starts outputting radio frequency signals from its USB port. Such things do happen, and may affect entertainment/traffic and equipment control/emergency service radio transmissions in the neighborhood, but the probablity is infinitesimally small.

• Like 1

A remote introduces additional contacts and active electronics (if it has a display), which may affect sound quality, so it is obviously better not to use it. The cleaner the path, the better the sound.

The clamp filters do not affect sound quality in any way, and are totally useless in a normally working system. Their only function is to prevent the respective cable from becoming a radio noise transmitting antenna in case your computer turns mad and starts outputting radio frequency signals from its USB port. Such things do happen, and may affect entertainment/traffic and equipment control/emergency service radio transmissions in the neighborhood, but the probablity is infinitesimally small.

Aha thats what those silly metal clamps are for !

I too found they do nothing.

Zoe

Well, they're not there to improve *your* sound. More that your equipment doesn't upset someone else's - that's why there are FCC/CRTC regulations (and presumably the same in other countries). Probably these devices do not comply unless the "sausages" are installed.

For example, if you have a neighbourhood lawnmower that causes interference, it's not up to you to filter it out, but the lawnmower to suppress it in the first place. Same with car, if your engine interferes with the car audio, you need a new car, not a new audio :)