Blank MDs and Blank Hi-MDs

Rate this topic

BIGHMW

Well fellow MD freaks,

As I am sure all of you probably know by now, prices on 5-packs of blank MD and Hi-MD have skyrocketed as much as their pre-recorded versions have. I have noticed Amazon.com wants $46.00 for a 5-pack of legacy MDs and MiniDisco no longer carries neither MDs nor Hi-MDs in stock anymore, and MiniDisc access is running way low on their stock. Even our neighbors north of the 49th at MiniDisc-Canada.com (now known as Pause Play Stop) seem to be the only source for blanks right now, so to all of you guys who are not eBay users, the time has officially come to buy, buy, buy!!!

However I am already prepared for the worst, as I have more than a few-hundred blank legacy Sony Premium Gold MDs (new and sealed!!!)in my BIGHMW.com Media Vault, as well as the about 150+ that are currently in use now all I have to do is stock up on the second-generation (HMD1GL, the blue ones) blank Hi-MDs as well.

I am ready for this. the 11th Hour of MD/Hi-MD..... are you?

Here in Vietnam where "MD is not popular" I have notice a fantastic drop out of MD blanks the last 6 months. I know the only one wholesale shop in center Saigon for mulmedia supports, they don't have even one pack in stock anymore. Close shop can have perhaps totally the last blanks (last year each one sold one or two packs) and that will be not a surprise if price increase. I will tell you. Price was 1,2$ per blank in the wholesale shop last year.

What does that mean for MD walkman and MD deck price ?

Ouf ! Still I found 18 packs in the same wholesale shop. No more 5 colors pack Sony Color Collection, only all yellow color discs. Not bought them but will think of it.

In the US you can see if www.tapewarehouse.com still has them Its site is so goofy that you have to dig deep to find them:

Call 800-659-8273 to see if they are still in stock.

Catalog page/Digital Audio/Mini Disc Audio/

SCM HMD1G HI-MD DISC (for Sony Hi-MD) at $6.40 each, item number: 2724264569

SONY 8MDW80 8PK.COLOR - CLOSEOUT/QTY LIMITED (8-pack for $10.50), item number: 2724258884

or SONY MDW-80.MINIDISC ($1.81 each) item number: 2724255739.

Well fellow MD freaks,

As I am sure all of you probably know by now, prices on 5-packs of blank MD and Hi-MD have skyrocketed as much as their pre-recorded versions have. I have noticed Amazon.com wants $46.00 for a 5-pack of legacy MDs and MiniDisco no longer carries neither MDs nor Hi-MDs in stock anymore, and MiniDisc access is running way low on their stock. Even our neighbors north of the 49th at MiniDisc-Canada.com (now known as Pause Play Stop) seem to be the only source for blanks right now, so to all of you guys who are not eBay users, the time has officially come to buy, buy, buy!!!

However I am already prepared for the worst, as I have more than a few-hundred blank legacy Sony Premium Gold MDs (new and sealed!!!)in my BIGHMW.com Media Vault, as well as the about 150+ that are currently in use now all I have to do is stock up on the second-generation (HMD1GL, the blue ones) blank Hi-MDs as well.

I am ready for this. the 11th Hour of MD/Hi-MD..... are you?

Go to Pro Tape.Com, MDs from $1.25 and up each in packs of 5's or 10's! I just ordered 40 Sony Niege's for $65.?? with shipping and handling and they will be in today (Tuesday, the 12th of January)!

Go to Pro Tape.Com, MDs from $1.25 and up each in packs of 5's or 10's! I just ordered 40 Sony Niege's for $65.?? with shipping and handling and they will be in today (Tuesday, the 12th of January)!

I think these are one of the outfits that absolutely refuse to ship outside the U.S of A. Sigh. It's starting to get to the point where I need a US shipping address (had one for many years but got rid of it about 10 years ago).

Well this sucks. I've just re-discovered MD and it's superb sound quality again after being unhappy playing music off my laptop (it's pants), but the thing is I only have two blank Hi-MD's. QUESTION: can you use the old non Hi MD's and still get about 94 minutes of PCM/WAV?

PS. I live in the UK, so if anyone spots any cheaper blank Hi-MD's, 'would really appreciate it.

Well this sucks. I've just re-discovered MD and it's superb sound quality again after being unhappy playing music off my laptop (it's pants), but the thing is I only have two blank Hi-MD's. QUESTION: can you use the old non Hi MD's and still get about 94 minutes of PCM/WAV?

PS. I live in the UK, so if anyone spots any cheaper blank Hi-MD's, 'would really appreciate it.

The HiMD are physically (?chemically!) different, three layers instead of one, and won't even play on the legacy machines, thanks to Sony marking them. (removing the hole won't help you, they will just crash more horribly).

As Giant_Rick says, you can get more than double their capacity at the same bit rate (I use 132kbps a fair amount for pre-recorded stuff off the internet at 128kbps) on the same legacy disk. This gives a whopping 16hr 30 on a 1GB or 4hr 50m on an 80 minuter. The advantage of this is simply that you can move ATRAC3 around without conversion. However many people have decided that ATRAC3+ 64k is aurally equivalent which would double all the times.

For real recording you will need PCM 1411, yes. 28m (a bit less than 1/3 of 96m) on the legacy media.

For sources of 1GB disks, suggest Minidisc Canada. Look on Ebay UK, too. They're really getting scarce, though.

Welcome to the forums!

Stephen

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up 6 blank Hi-MD discs on Craigslist for $20 ($15 for the discs and $5 for shipping cause I live in PA and they were in San Francisco). And one of them is still sealed. That's $3.33 a piece, they go for $5-$10 each on ebay or anywhere else you look (or more with shipping costs). Honestly, I don't care if I get second hand stuff, it all works the same. If these are good for a million recordings, it's well worth it cause I bet that the person I'm buying it from has recorded on it, maybe, a handful of times. Out of all the MD's Ive bought second hand (maybe 175 of them from various people), I've only gotten one that I cant use because the case is broken. And I could probably even glue it back together and use it. Just my 2 cents worth anyway.

Have you guys seen the latest ebay listings? Lots of rares.. I'd snatch them up but I sold my RH1 to PsychoPimpKiller.. :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-brand-new-minidisc-MD-Daiso-TDK-Axia-Xeus-3_W0QQitemZ220545883441

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-brand-new-minidisc-MD-Daiso-TDK-Axia-Maxell-4_W0QQitemZ220545894220

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-new-minidisc-MD-Daiso-Sony-TDK-Axia-Maxell-5_W0QQitemZ220545904709

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-new-minidisc-MD-Daiso-Sony-TDK-Axia-Fuji-HHB-6_W0QQitemZ220545916099

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-new-minidisc-MD-Daiso-Maxell-TDK-Axia-Fuji-7_W0QQitemZ220545925071

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-new-minidisc-MD-Daiso-Maxell-TDK-Axia-Fuji-8_W0QQitemZ220545935154

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-10-blank-MD-minidisc-TDK-BIT-CLUB-barcode-ltd-5col_W0QQitemZ200432438719