**Sony LIP-4WM Issues**

Rate this topic

ajk0952

Hi Minidisc Forum. Recently, I purchased a lithium-ion battery from Pause Play Stop. However, when I put the new battery into my RH1 unit, it refuses to charge.

Now, I'm pretty sure that it's not a problem on the RH1 side because I'm able to successfully charge two other lithium-ion batteries without any issues. Is it possible that I was sold a defunct battery? Or does anyone here on this forum know how to re-energize these batteries? I wish I owned an NH1 or other minidisc portable that could more properly calibrate these types of batteries and fairly frustrated that the RH1 is so darn sensitive.

Any tips, ideas, or whatnot would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, as always.

More than likely the battery is just below the RH1's sense level. What you can do if you are careful is use an already charged battery of the same type to kick-start your new battery. Use two wires and connect positive to positive, negative to negative. Try for just 5 seconds (that can be often enough) or up to a minute. Be careful when doing this of course.

What happens when you simply put the battery in and turn on the RH1? (I'm assuming no action)

What happens when you put the battery in and connect up USB (not the charger)? Ordinary USB connection will usually charge the battery for you, too.

If the answer to both of these questions is NADA, then I think Ian has given you good advice. It's just possible that his tip works for the wrong reason, however, you might be DIScharging an OVERcharged battery. Doesn't matter, still follow his suggestion, I think.

I reported recently my daughter's cell phone battery mysteriously revived when she spilled liquid on it. I think that was the same sort of thing.

I think it has to do with the charging circuits using voltage as a means for deciding when to stop and/or start charging. If the battery barely changes state (eg because you always run some particular device, be it MD or cell, off the charger) these discriminant (is that the right word?) voltages may get a bit out of whack as the battery gets older.

What happens when you simply put the battery in and turn on the RH1? (I'm assuming no action)Edit:Actually, the RH1 does start up, and the battery icon is flashing on and off.

What happens when you put the battery in and connect up USB (not the charger)? Ordinary USB connection will usually charge the battery for you, too. When the RH1 unit is plugged in via USB, the battery icon does not show up and I'm assuming it's using power from the USB itself and not the battery.

If the answer to both of these questions is NADA, then I think Ian has given you good advice. It's just possible that his tip works for the wrong reason, however, you might be DIScharging an OVERcharged battery. Doesn't matter, still follow his suggestion, I think.

I reported recently my daughter's cell phone battery mysteriously revived when she spilled liquid on it. I think that was the same sort of thing.

I think it has to do with the charging circuits using voltage as a means for deciding when to stop and/or start charging. If the battery barely changes state (eg because you always run some particular device, be it MD or cell, off the charger) these discriminant (is that the right word?) voltages may get a bit out of whack as the battery gets older.

• 2 weeks later...

All right. I tried to use the method prescribed earlier here and works to no avail. KInd of disappointed about it too. Do you guys possibly have any other ideas where the issue might be? Sorry it took so long for me to reply back. Did not have chance to get around to fiddling with my RH1. So, is there another way that we could possibly re-energize these batteries without the use of another portable MD-player or hot-wiring? (unless I used the wrong types of wires which could be the culprit). Thanks.

Thanks for the kind gesture, Soundbox. Actually, it would be awesome if you could do that but considering I live in the U.S., I don't find that feasible. However, if it's not too much of an inconvenience...do you think you could give me directions on making my own power supply that could kick-start batteries like the LIP-4WM? If it's too complicated, I don't want you to explain and waste your time. But if it's easy to accomplish, I'm all for it:).

I read elsewhere on this forum regarding the three different design logos used for the Sony LIP-4WM (telephone number, "lithium ion" label, and the recycling picture with lithium ion logo). Are they truly all legitimate types of batteries?

Well, my power supply is one that I constructed at college. It has a current limiter and infinitely variable voltage from 1-25 volts. I set the current limiter at 100mA and sweep the voltage up and down. The battery can be seen to 'draw' at a certain point on the voltage scale. When it starts to draw, the ammeter jumps up.

The one I made has internal IC's (one being a 555 timer), so it is a complex unit. I cannot suggest a fixed power supply as the voltage point at which the cell starts to draw is not the same for one cell to another (when in a depleted state).

It may be worth just asking about shipping to the UK next time you are passing a Post Office - it may be only a $ or two and that may be cheaper than a new battery.

I am not sure about the labels - sorry.

Ian