Well Priced 1GB Discs / Reliable, Safe Source

Rate this topic

jmsla

Hello All Hi-MD Users,

I hope this is the best place to post this.

I have found an established electronics distributor located in Upstate NY called Markertek that carries minidisc media including HI-MD discs in their regular stock.

They seem to have a steady and reliable source for Hi-MD discs and sell them for $5.35 per. Any in stock are shipped out the same or next day and any additional that have to be back ordered are shipped within 5 days. Shipping is pretty cheap as well by UPS Ground.

I just purchased 30 discs along with some mike cable and a video tripod. They had 14 discs in stock which I received two days later with the other items and the additional 16 discs were shipped 3 days business days later. Shipping for the entire order was $8.00 and some change. No additional shipping charge for the back order items. They don't charge sales tax unless you live in New York State. Too bad for me 'cause I do. Still for me the discs were less that 6 dollars a piece.

Look for the category "Expendables" in their list of internal links on the left of the home page and click on "Discount Recording Media"

www.markertek.com

Mailing Address:

Markertek Video Supply

1 Tower Drive

PO Box 397

Saugerties, New York (USA) 12477

Toll Free: 800-522-2025

(USA, Canada, Mexico, Carribbean)

International: 845-246-3036

Fax: 845-246-1757

Hours: 8:30AM to 7:00PM M-F EST

HMD-1G.JPGSony HMD-1G High Capacity 1 GB Mini Disc

High Capacity Mini Disc 1GB storage for data or music Record up to 45 hours of music on just one Hi-MD dis ...

blank.gif

Sony Recording Media

Our Part# HMD-1G

Our Price $5.35

MDW-80PL-5H.JPGSONY Mini Disc 80 Minute Gold EACH

Discs are sold individually High level of performance Portable and unshockable Holds up to 80 minutes of mu ...

blank.gif

Sony Recording Media

Our Part# MDW-80PL-5H

Our Price $2.05

Happy Shopping,

James

P.S.

They do ship international with a minimum $100 order. I enquired and the shipping to the UK wood be by US Postal and cost $48.25

There is a Markertek UK site but they don't list minidiscs. I e-mailed Markertek UK and was told that a 1gb disc would cost "

I mentioned the international shipping because I have read some posts from users outside the States commenting on how difficult to find and expensive Hi-MD discs are becoming. I guess many don't know about your HK source.

Now, as well I'm wondering if I'm the only US located member on the forum any more. I would have expected some responses about my domestic find for five dollar Hi-MDs. Or did I post in the wrong section? 'Hi-MD' seemed logical.

Oh well, my intentions were good.

-ja

I second that vote of appreciation jmsla. I keep a list of bookmarks for retailers who sell MD blanks and other accessories. Next time I buy blanks, particularly HiMD blanks, I'll check them out again. Thanks for sharing!

Ok now...good to start hearing from some fellow State-siders.

You guys should have a really good experience doing business with this outfit. They are well established and have a brick and mortar store.

I've seen slightly lower prices for Hi-MD discs occasionally on my GOOGLE shopping searches but, the sources are somewhat shady and excessive shipping charges negate the teaser discount price. Same happens on e-bay.

Markertek also has tons of other interesting electronic stuff and accessories often at really good prices.

-ja

• 2 months later...

Here's a question I would like to ask

Why would you need more blank media?

I don't think it would be sufficient to buy so much blank media, when you have sonicstage and the ability to transfer things digitally.

If you know what you are doing, you don't have to have ten blank discs, or ever five. two or three maybe reasonable - i don't recommend having anymore of these discs.

If I were you, I would have my files set on my computer, and pick out the ones that I would like to transfer back to MD. If you keep a good track record of what you transfer to the media from your computer (or from the media into your computer), then you shouldn't need so many discs.

I understand the world maybe coming to an end in 2012, but I don't think buying more of the media is going to help anybody - especially with the convenience of computer transferring.

More or less, its your money, not mine.

If I were you, I would have my files set on my computer

I tend to disagree, because I do not trust computer storage at all . How well and how often do you backup your computer data ?

I do trust legacy MD. I archive all my precious (unique) recordings on two identical MD copies that I keep in different buildings.

You could even argue that the whole concept of minidisc is to move away from the computer. You are meant to appreciate your collection on removable discs which can be stored safely and enjoyed later. It's quite a different experience instead of using a mouse, keyboard and screen all of the time.

Well, for some, MiniDisc is their only way to enjoy music without asking for help.

My dad who is slightly disabled can't handle CD's, and a computer is way too complicated. Grabbing a disc without worrying of letting it drop, leaving fingermarks or scratching it, inserting it into the MD Hi-MD deck, hit play, all that is plain and simple, and manageable to him.

The library of MiniDiscs is very well in expansion, and obtaining discs at a good price from a reliable source is of interest for him.

MiniDisc is more than just a recording device for able tapers, don't forget that.

Well, a computer isn't complicated if you spent the proper time to learn how to use it.

If your dad is tech savy enough to know how to use a Minidisc player and all of it's basic functions, then he should know how to turn a computer on, use a few applications, and then turn it off.

I don't mean to sound like I'm not sympathetic to someone's disability. I realize there could be limitations. I think disabled people are capable of doing miraculous things that no one dreamed would be possible. I recall one story with a woman who was in an iron lung who was going to college and graduated with the aid of a computer.

The problem is not that computers are hard to learn - it is simply that people are ignorant to make a transition.

For an example - many years ago I use to burn all of my audio to audio CDs. Then I realized that the audio CDs were prone to scratching and possible damage from rot. So I realized this was a problem, and I tried to find a decent compromise to have it in physical media - so I converted them to files on DVDs. Then I was introduced to hard drive storage media - and while I hesitated about it, I bought a hard drive and copied all the DVD files onto it. Sure, they might be a better product in the future - but I will be ready when that better product comes. I don't want to be stuck with something that may not be the best suitable way to store my collection of audio.

And if you think putting my audio to Minidisc is the better answer, I think you're very wrong. I am doing what I can to move past it.

You could even argue that the whole concept of minidisc is to move away from the computer. You are meant to appreciate your collection on removable discs which can be stored safely and enjoyed later. It's quite a different experience instead of using a mouse, keyboard and screen all of the time.

Actually, this is not quite true. Minidisc came out around 1992 - which was before people widely started using their computer for audio file purposes (such as mp3 or FLAC, which neither were widely used and/or developed yet). No one at the time could predict that PCs would be used for this type of media - or even things like the IPOD have yet to be developed. I recall at the time back in 1992, you had to buy a soundblaster card to play back audio - which was an extra 100 or so dollars. In today's world (2010), we don't need to buy a soundblaster card - everything is there ready to be used. We now have things like the IPOD. People know this and they are embracing the newer technology.

So tell me this - how many people do you know are lining up to go buy themselves minidisc players today vs the amount of people who are buying IPODs? Show me the sale numbers.

Also:

How many people are buying CDs today compared to ten years ago? The population got bigger in the world, so one may argue that CD media should be skyrocketing. That is not the case. Go find the sale numbers - they are there.

I think you're argument is baseless and completely misleading.

I tend to disagree, because I do not trust computer storage at all . How well and how often do you backup your computer data ?

I do trust legacy MD. I archive all my precious (unique) recordings on two identical MD copies that I keep in different buildings.

Lets see - I've back up a lot of my private recorded audio music to an external hard drive on a very regular basis. I use it VERY often.

I have NO media left on these MD cds. I transferred these long ago and put them to the external HD.

In fact, when I wanted to find one of these things the other day, I had to dig through my storage unit. It's been that long since I've last thought about using MDs.

You'll be happy to know that my computer has yet to experience a meltdown and my hard drive has yet to break.

Or maybe you can call that unfortunate - since I don't plan on buying more MD blanks to support the machine further.

My mother, who is 80, also uses and loves minidiscs (and cassette tapes).

I'm assuming with all you've said about her, she still likes 8-track as well

You know, star, all of us minidisc lovers have already been told that our toys are obsolete. We know how popular iPods are, and how much music fits on one, thanks. And most of us can use a computer, too.

We all know where our format stands in relation to the state of the art. We don't care. MD gives us something we don't get from a list on a screen; do you not understand that, or does it bother you somehow?

Here's what I do: I download most of my music these days, 'cause it's what I can afford. When rushed, I listen to songs using Foobar. I archive them to CD-R, and move them onto my network attached storage for good measure. Then, I RECORD THEM REAL-TIME to MINIDISC, using a carefully chosen ATRAC codec. Sometimes I choose a certain color MINIDISC because it'll look good with the COVER I'M GOING TO DESIGN and stick on my MINIDISC. When I want to hear music, even though I have three computers (which all have screens and mouses and mousepads and decent soundcards and optical drives and network cards to get to my server), even though I have three computers, I RIFLE THROUGH MY MINIDISCS and play one of those. Why? BECAUSE I LIKE TOO! I really, really do.

To do all this recording, btw, I need more blanks.

I don't know what your point is. Are you just trying to be a jerk? Your reply about the wizards dad and philippeb's mom was really callous.

You know, star, all of us minidisc lovers have already been told that our toys are obsolete. We know how popular iPods are, and how much music fits on one, thanks. And most of us can use a computer, too.

We all know where our format stands in relation to the state of the art. We don't care. MD gives us something we don't get from a list on a screen; do you not understand that, or does it bother you somehow?

Here's what I do: I download most of my music these days, 'cause it's what I can afford. When rushed, I listen to songs using Foobar. I archive them to CD-R, and move them onto my network attached storage for good measure. Then, I RECORD THEM REAL-TIME to MINIDISC, using a carefully chosen ATRAC codec. Sometimes I choose a certain color MINIDISC because it'll look good with the COVER I'M GOING TO DESIGN and stick on my MINIDISC. When I want to hear music, even though I have three computers (which all have screens and mouses and mousepads and decent soundcards and optical drives and network cards to get to my server), even though I have three computers, I RIFLE THROUGH MY MINIDISCS and play one of those. Why? BECAUSE I LIKE TOO! I really, really do.

To do all this recording, btw, I need more blanks.

I don't know what your point is. Are you just trying to be a jerk? Your reply about the wizards dad and philippeb's mom was really callous.

Excuse me sir/ma'am, but I did not sit here and write things meant to insult other people.

Before I start explaining a bit, saying WE and US in a post when it really means YOU isn't really proper. I hope you realize that you don't speak for everybody. I don't speak for eveybody either - I speak for MYSELF only.

Just because I disagree with the Minidisc community on it's usage today, it doesn't give you a green light to railroad me based on the premise that you love it to death. I never once said in any of my posts that I hate MD and wish all users would die with it - MD was at one time a nice alternative to digital media (for portable use and recording). Times have changed and you just have to accept that. If I did hate MD so much like you claim, then why do I still own two models? I could easily ebay/craigslist them off whenever I want - because I know there is someone out there much like you would jump at the chance at buying one of them. I have a use for them - in fact, I just sent one away to New England today to get a tape properly transferred to digital PCM audio.

Clearly, I am only trying to provide opinions with my own personal experience as why I am not doing MD anymore. None of my posts have ever once said only idiots use MD. If I felt that way, I wouldn't bother posting here.

With that said, you're post is nothing but insulting to me. Congratulations, if that's what you were trying to achieve.

And if you think I was joking about the disabled woman who went to college (who happened to be disabled and housebound due to her IRON LUNG), perhaps you should read this:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,359304,00.html

Excuse me sir/ma'am, but I did not sit here and write things meant to insult other people.

[...]

With that said, you're post is nothing but insulting to me.

Please cool down star, Bwil is not insulting you ; he is showing empathy for other forum members. It is not a bad attitude, or feeling.

Back to topic: how well and how often do you backup your storage unit ?

geez, i never did that before.

I only own one. I think paying 96 bucks a month for one storage unit is plenty enough.

If I was rich and no debt, I would have two for the sake of it!

Speaking of storage, I know that I have quite a few blank MDs (74s/80s) that are still in their wrappers that are not Hi-MDs that I should get rid of. I don't know the amount at this time.

I also have about three of these Hi-MDs (used) that I probably would like to see gone - since I really only need two (which is the limit I will only allow myself to hang on). I don't remember what caused me to buy these other MDs. I think at the time, I was out on the road recording shows without access to my PC during my travels.

In any regard, if there is someone here that wants them, let me know. I know they could be put to better use other places rather than to be thrown back in storage and forgotten about for some more years to come.

Well now, this has been an interesting exchange, ranging from the commodious to the absurd. I suppose I should comment at this point since it apparently was my declaration (confession? admittance?) that I purchase copious, and in the view of one, lavish, wasteful and conspicuously consumptive quantities of minidisc media. (and BTW Star, it isn't "more or less [my] money", it is indeed entirely my money, dutifully earned and spent as I desire, thank you.)

Where to begin? Let me state first that I am not challenged either technically or physically by the hardware or software at issue. I do save quite a bit of material on my computer's hard drive. And perform quite a lot of editing in programs like Audacity. I do not, however, trust that any hard-drive is robust enough to be considered a safe storage device. I've seen hard-drives fail and back-up hard-drives fail right after. Every computer expert I've spoken with about this say essentially the same thing, 'It's not a matter of if the hard-drive will fail but rather, when it will fail.' Even the User Manual for my stand alone DVD HD recorder advises not to consider the hard-drive as a storage medium but, to burn anything you want to keep to a disc because "hard-drives tend to fail".

Music I've recoded that is really important for me I keep on the disk as well. Basically I store files on my computer so that I can easily down load some material, (temporally), to a disc to use on the go or take to a another location for use. And I use the SS Library only as kind of index, and at that less and less.

Next, I actually do use large numbers of minidiscs because my relationship and activities with music extends far beyond planted myself in a chair at my computer. That being among the one least desirable places to listen to music from my perspective. One could reinterpret 'MD' to mean 'mobile disk-drive'. As well, Bwil's comments do in fact speak for quite a large number of MD users so his use of 'We and 'Us' is entirely appropriate.

I also record live practically everyday and need to carry those discs around with me while I review and edit on the machine if I hear something I want keep. With so much live recorded material I may not get to a particular recorded session for a few weeks or more. These are but some of the reasons I require so many discs.

Minidisc in general, in my experience, is a very fluid medium and users tend come up with all sorts of interesting ways to use and interact with it. NickyJay makes a good point I think. I find fascinating, as I read posts in this forum, the myriad ways that users shape the medium to their particular needs and desires. As well adapting it to other evolving hardware and software. One really can't do that with IPod which also has just abysmal sound quality, in my opinion.

Lastly, Star, if no one else takes up your offer, I'll gladly take all your unwanted discs off your hands for you. PM me to make arrangements.

Cheers All,

-ja

• 1 month later...