Can't transfer recording to SonicStage

Rate this topic

Optimistic

Hello,

I can't transfer my records to SonicStage,

I start SonicStage, connect the MZ-RH1, select one of the record file (PCM, Hi-SP or Hi-LP, I try with all) and when click on "transfer to my library" button nothing add to my library,

In the superior right corner of the window of SonicStage, just under the "connect button", appear for a little time a percent indicator, but is so strange, its appear and dissappear quickly when the file that I try to transfer are recording of up 1 h. duration,

I try to re-install SonicStage more than one times, but I have no results,

The rest of the function (in the SonicStage, in the MZ-RH1) are normal,

Please help me,

P.D.: SonicStage is version 4.3

Thank you in advance

Hi,

I not an expert by any means but, I'll at least try to get the discussion started.

Have you 'uploaded' tracks from your RH1 to Sonic Stage before or is this the first time you are atempting to do this?

-ja

Hi,

I not an expert by any means but, I'll at least try to get the discussion started.

Have you 'uploaded' tracks from your RH1 to Sonic Stage before or is this the first time you are atempting to do this?

-ja

Hello,

I upload tracks in the past,

There is that I hate from SonicStage, ramdomly run bad, without reason,

Thanks

So, you're not getting any error messages and you're following the same procedure you've used in past uploads.

Possibly it's an issue with the disc itself or the content. Is it a 1 gig Hi-MD disc? Is it a live recording made with a micrpophone? How many tracks are recorded and in what mode was it recorded? Can you play the disc on your RH-1 through headphones or speakers?

So, you're not getting any error messages and you're following the same procedure you've used in past uploads.

Possibly it's an issue with the disc itself or the content. Is it a 1 gig Hi-MD disc? Is it a live recording made with a micrpophone? How many tracks are recorded and in what mode was it recorded? Can you play the disc on your RH-1 through headphones or speakers?

Hello,

Is a 1 gb Hi-MD, that I used in the past

Is a live recording with microphone

only one track are recorded

I can play the disc and the file (the recording) without problem

In the PC of a friend I can transfer OK

I try to re-install SonicStage again

Thank you.

Make sure that you uninstall Sonic Stage and all it's components and reboot your computer before installing SS again.

Try uploading tracks from a different disc as a test to see if the problem is really with the software?

• 4 weeks later...

Question 1: were the recordings decrypted before downloading them to MD, using the File Conversion Tool. (If they were recordings MADE on the MD, this question is irrelevant). If not, very likely SS thinks you have a different machine from the one that downloaded them and will not allow upload.

Question 2: do the recordings show as transferable (Square+triangle) or merely as transferred (square only)?

Stephen

Question 1: were the recordings decrypted before downloading them to MD, using the File Conversion Tool. (If they were recordings MADE on the MD, this question is irrelevant). If not, very likely SS thinks you have a different machine from the one that downloaded them and will not allow upload.

Question 2: do the recordings show as transferable (Square+triangle) or merely as transferred (square only)?

Stephen

I want to transfer recordings that I made using a microphone. In SS the recordings appear like squares+triangle pointing to the left, as if though they are transferable. But they don't transfer. I experienced the same as what the OP stated.

As long as you see the triangle then you should have no problems.

1. Do you by any chance have a second unit to test with?

2. Can you play the tracks back?

3. WHERE is SS expecting to write the files to? Could be a directory that is inaccessible to your current logged on user. After hearing your description this sounds most likely.

Make a NEW folder called SonicImport on the C: root.

Go into SS and fix the location of imported files to point there.

May be all you need to do.

Good hunting!

Stephen

As long as you see the triangle then you should have no problems.

1. Do you by any chance have a second unit to test with?

2. Can you play the tracks back?

3. WHERE is SS expecting to write the files to? Could be a directory that is inaccessible to your current logged on user. After hearing your description this sounds most likely.

Make a NEW folder called SonicImport on the C: root.

Go into SS and fix the location of imported files to point there.

May be all you need to do.

Good hunting!

Stephen

Thanks, but that didn't work either. I also tried removing SS 4.3 and installed SS 4.2. The RH1 plays back the recordings through the computer speakers when it's hooked up, but I don't have another Hi-MD unit to test it with. What are the chances that it's the unit that's having problems uploading and it's not SonicStage? I also don't have any other MD unit with microphone input.

Aha! You can play the tracks THROUGH THE COMPUTER. This means that the USB is working.

That leaves... (tada!) the destination of the files on your hard disk. Just as I suspected.

You are running as a power user or administrator, I take it?

Where exactly is SS pointing to for the files it uploads right now?

Aha! You can play the tracks THROUGH THE COMPUTER. This means that the USB is working.

That leaves... (tada!) the destination of the files on your hard disk. Just as I suspected.

You are running as a power user or administrator, I take it?

Where exactly is SS pointing to for the files it uploads right now?

No, this is my personal home computer. I'm the administrator, i guess. I don't have to log in to my computer, I just boot it up and I use it. Where in SS do I see where the files are being uploaded to or how do I change them?

Tools->Options->Location to save imported files

I did that, and it still won't upload. I remember reading about other people having these problems with SS. I was really looking forward to recording some of my church sermons and record my son's little voice in digital stereo and archiving them on CD.

Does that location exist? Can you (using Windows) create arbitrary files and delete what you created, including folders, inside C:\SonicStage?

You said you didn't have to log on. Sounds like XP Home. Are you sure that you are a Power User (check and see under the Control Panel "User Accounts"). Sony warns you about this but most people completely miss the warning.

Does that location exist? Can you (using Windows) create arbitrary files and delete what you created, including folders, inside C:\SonicStage?

You said you didn't have to log on. Sounds like XP Home. Are you sure that you are a Power User (check and see under the Control Panel "User Accounts"). Sony warns you about this but most people completely miss the warning.

Yes, the folder is there, I can add to it and delete from it. I reset it to the default location for imported files. I'm the "computer administrator" according the control panel.

I reset it to the default location for imported files.

Don't quite understand that.

Do you mean:

a. it now points to where Sonic Stage originally wanted to put files? or

b. You pointed the current location to your newly created directory?

This reminds me of my parent who wiped out his masterpiece thinking that "save" meant "restore"

and vice-versa. Perhaps we have a terminology disconnect.

If you set to the default, there is a good chance that inability of SonicStage software to access that location (somewhere deep inside "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator") is causing problems.

Hope this helps.

Don't quite understand that.

Do you mean:

a. it now points to where Sonic Stage originally wanted to put files? or

b. You pointed the current location to your newly created directory?

This reminds me of my parent who wiped out his masterpiece thinking that "save" meant "restore"

and vice-versa. Perhaps we have a terminology disconnect.

If you set to the default, there is a good chance that inability of SonicStage software to access that location (somewhere deep inside "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator") is causing problems.

Hope this helps.

I changed the imported files location to "C:\SonicStage\Packages\" and it still doesn't import. The files clearly show a box with a triangle pointing to the left that it can be transfered, but it won't. I was able to play the files through the computer speakers. So far it won't import to:

1.) Default location

2.) C:\SonicStage

3.) C:\SonicStage\Packages\

A possible clue here - SonicStage\Packages sounds like a canned directory created by an installation. Is that whole tree read-only, by chance?

Better to try something you created yourself. Sorry for coming up with a name that existed already. Try c:\FooBar? (don't forget to create the folder yourself first).

At this point I'm almost stumped. Now the only thing I can think of (Avrin, where are you!?!?!?) is that the SS database files are somehow read-only access. See here for a solution.

Aha (again)! I just did some messing around, and it's clear that changing that setting doesn't create a new database file there. So wherever the db file is, it simply contains a full path name of the file you imported to your "default location". Unless you tell it to, it leaves other files where they were already, and pointers to the other location in the database.

Suppose that file for some reason cannot be added to - the Microsoft Access Database file. This will be enough to mess you up for ever and ever.

You'll have to make a new database file and reimport all the existing music into it (the music FILES will be just fine whereever they are located - you don't have to copy all the music files to the new default location, though it gives you an option to do so when you change that setting, I noticed).

I think we're getting warm. Sorry to be so slow about this, it's never actually happened to me, but I have seen people complaining about this from time to time.

One word of warning.... if any of the files is copy-protected (typically the extension is ".oma" instead of ".OMA" but it's not a universal rule) you might be well to try de-protecting them by running the File Conversion Tool before you mess with anything. Make sure to uncheck the "Copy Protection" box in the first or second screen of that utility. This means that now your files are no longer tied to this install of SonicStage. So worst case you can re-install it. However.... this is a big gotcha .... if the decryption refuses to convert any files, there's a good chance that when you re-install SS you will lose EVERYTHING.

Perhaps someone who has suffered this problem before could help here. If you don't care about the previously imported files, then you are fine. What a pain!

I can now clarify something. I was stupidly opening the Sonic Stage db using Access 97. Access 2000 and later (2003,2007) open the .mdb files just fine.

You might want to poke around inside the t_object table and see if you can find anything odd in the filename column, which is headed "203".

Stephen

I can now clarify something. I was stupidly opening the Sonic Stage db using Access 97. Access 2000 and later (2003,2007) open the .mdb files just fine.

You might want to poke around inside the t_object table and see if you can find anything odd in the filename column, which is headed "203".

Stephen

I ended up running the DELL system restore, so everything has been wiped and restored to factory settings. But I backed up my stuff on DVD. Before I install SS, where can I get SonicStage 4.0?

If you backed up your recordings that were uploaded to the PC, probably they are gone (unless you were able to decrypt them). Of course this has no effect on what was recorded by you using line or microphone onto MD.

You don't want 4.0, trust me.

You want 4.3 Ultimate from this site.

If you backed up your recordings that were uploaded to the PC, probably they are gone (unless you were able to decrypt them). Of course this has no effect on what was recorded by you using line or microphone onto MD.

You don't want 4.0, trust me.

You want 4.3 Ultimate from this site.

Is that a Sony approved version of SonicStage. Is it reliable?

Quit muckin' abaht :)

Avrin created this version because it fixes a number of bugs. Since Sony no longer supports ATRAC it seems likely this will be the last version hence "ultimate".

If I had $1 for everyone who had ever used the word "just" when describing their computer and/or software needs, I would be rich.

Good luck!

Quit muckin' abaht smile.gif

Avrin created this version because it fixes a number of bugs. Since Sony no longer supports ATRAC it seems likely this will be the last version hence "ultimate".

If I had $1 for everyone who had ever used the word "just" when describing their computer and/or software needs, I would be rich.

Good luck!

Ok, but is that link for the U.S. version?

• Like 1

• Richard changed the title to Can't transfer recording to SonicStage