another windows 7 question

Rate this topic

micmatt313

firstly, hello - have just registered on this forum

and sorry if i've posted this question in the wrong location and also if it has been asked/answered lots of times already - i did spend a few hours going through old posts, but to be honest i didn't understand too much of it blink.gif

have recently got a new laptop with windows 7. Had thought i'd transferred all music files to an external hard drive - but wasn't too thorough - but no matter have still got most of my music on Hi-MD disks..

I used sonic stage 3.4 on my previous laptop (windows XP) which worked fine with my MZ-RH1, i even managed to transfer older MD files from disks recorded on my MZ-R900 - but all onto 1gig disks

Loaded ss3.4 onto my new laptop yesterday and transferred across the files i'd saved on the external harddrive and then connected the MD player via usb - nothing - cant see it in windows explorer, or on ss

but for some reason the simple md burner picks it up straight away and i can see all of the tracks no problem..?

so spent many hours last night removing and reloading 3.4, then 4.3 - no different, then after lots of searching on here i downloaded the 'ultimate' version - no different..

I'd be so happy if someone could say "ahh - you forgot about this...." and point me to a fix???

thanks

m

You have to point the sonicstage library there. "Tools->Options->Location to save imported files". Of course we assume that none of your tracks are encrypted (protected). Go back, do not pass go, do not collect $200 etc etc.

The easiest way to do this is to make a "junction point" so that a folder on the external drive looks like the directory where Sonic Stage wants the library.

First, configure Sonic Stage to point to somewhere sensible (NOT silly ol' c:\Documents and Settings\Users\<blah blah>).

Use something like C:\SonicStage\imported, i.e. somewhere of your own devising. Assume that the "imported" folder exists.

Second make a junction (you'll need junction.exe from Sysinternals, now a subsidiary of MSFT) like this

junction C:\SonicStage\imported h:\foo\bar\mymusicfiles (whatever you called the backup on your "h" drive).

The backup needs to have the folder names in that base folder be the names of the Albums, for proper operation. Now you will find that h:\foo\bar\mymusicfiles\NiceAlbum is visible to everyone (including Sonic Stage) as C:\SonicStage\imported\NiceAlbum.

Good luck!

Stephen

thanks very much for your response

re-reading my original post i've made it sound like the problem am having is that i can't see my music library on ss..

in fact i can see all of the files that i'd saved on the hard drive no problem, i've imported some more and under the transfer menu i can chose to make an audio, atrac or MP3 cd..

The problem comes when i connect my MD player via the usb port and expect to be able to transfer music to or from it. I don't get the any of the MD options in the transfer dropdown.

Nor can i see the MD player when i open explorer - which is puzzling as its not there as another external drive, but the MD burner software sees it no problem.

Michael

Ah this is purely a Windows 7 problem

Point 1: you cannot make a NetMD under Windows7-64, EXCEPT if you have one of the premium versions and the XP compatibility layer installed (it's a whole XP virtual machine or VM)

Point 2: If you can see the Windoze directory then the disk in your MD is a Hi-MD (and not a NetMD). Even if it's an 80m disk formatted as Hi-MD, which is cool as long as you can play it back in a Hi-MD.

HTH

Thanks,

i think that the data on the disk in my MD is recorded in Hi-MD - certainly that is what is indicated on the MD display.

Is there a definitive way of checking?

If it is indeed Hi-MD is there another reason why i can't 'see' it in ss or explorer?

a friend suggested that maybe w7 didn't have a driver for the MD and that the ss software doesn't include one for w7?

Michael

There are no drivers needed to read or write Hi-MD.

Explorer will never see the music files, just the "container" files that have the music inside them. You should be able to see 3 or 4 such, always the same name, and even when there is no music on the disk (ie freshly formatted).

If you can't see even those, there's something wrong with USB on your Win7 installation. Remember you cannot use a hub, the MD must be connected to a real USB port. I suppose there could be a USB-speed issue but I have not heard of such a thing so far.

not only could i not see the folders - it isn't even seeing the device as another drive

there are 4 or 5 usb ports on my laptop though so perhaps i'll swap it around.

In the mean time i sorted the initial problem - my mum has a machine running an older operating system, so after installing ss on it last night i was able to copy all of the music i had on Hi-MD discs and store it on my external drive. So the files are safe, just remains to be seen whether i can continue to use my MD player without the hassle of keeping an old computer handy to access it!

Thanks again

Michael

This sort of nonsense is why I steadfastly resisted getting a 64-bit OS. Another promising strategy would be get the 32-bit version of Windows 7, or the upgrade to 7 which allows an XP 32-bit subsystem to run your old software.

Good luck!