Looking In The Wrong Place

Rate this topic

Ok, from time to time I will go to the "My Library" and click on a cd I have imported on the get the message "the music track for the file was not found." So I am given two options: "remove from My Library" and "Specify the location of the file". Until a few minutes I had always chose the first 'cause I had no idea what could have happened it. I have posted about noticing some kind of strange connection between WMP 11 and Sonicstage: sometimes I will come acrcoss a cd that SS will not import. So I will import it with WMP 11 and then use the Import Music Files to download the disc to SS. But if I delete the cd from WMP 11, it seems to vanish as well from SS for some reason.

Anyway, so I chose the "specify location" this time. Now I have a dedicated hard drive for cd imports. The SS software is set to put all files from cd imports on this drive. So, just for the fun of it, I selected that drive and behold the folder with the required filles is there. So I select the correct file and now it appears normally on the My Library. So it seems that sometimes at least, the software "looks" in the wrong place and cannot find the files.

The question: how do I make SS "look" on the correct drive?

• 2 weeks later...

In my experience, if you happen to change the name of the track in its destination folder and maybe inadvertantly alter the end of the file name in some little way, SS cantt find it because it no longer comports exactly to the file name in the SS library. That's one possibility.

-ja

I can't check at the moment, but as far as I recall, there is an Option (possibly under 'Advanced' Options) to specify locations of imported files, and default SS Library locations etc. You can even choose to re-locate an entire Library to a new drive/partition etc.

Anyway, make sure your file locations are set appropriately, eg. I use D:\SSLibrary and D:\SSImports so I know where everything should go...

Hope that helps in some way...

• 3 weeks later...

I can't check at the moment, but as far as I recall, there is an Option (possibly under 'Advanced' Options) to specify locations of imported files, and default SS Library locations etc. You can even choose to re-locate an entire Library to a new drive/partition etc.

Anyway, make sure your file locations are set appropriately, eg. I use D:\SSLibrary and D:\SSImports so I know where everything should go...

Hope that helps in some way...

Well, I have the correct location set (the G drive) for SS to import tracks to...no problem there, but I can't find any option anywhere that will allow me to specify where I can tell SS to "look" for files already imported on the G drive. That's is my problem: right now I am importing some cds and some of these have already been imported 'cause when I put in the disc the tracks come up as imported. And they are on the correct drive...the G drive. Yet when I click a track to play it, I get "can't find it" (attachment #1). Yet, when I look on the G drive using My Computer, there the folder and the files both are there! The folder "Wish You Were Here" is one of many that I am having this problem with. (see Attachement #2)

#1.rtf

#2.rtf

There are multiple backups of the SS database, so the result of doing the following is probably not terminal.

You will find the database (and its many backups) at

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sony Corporation\SonicStage\Packages

The file is called MtData.mdb (the numbered ones are the backups).

Open it up and you will find out what you want to know if you open the "t_object" table. Look in Column 203, I think. The file name of each song is there, including path.

This should enable you to diagnose your problem. If you can't do that (eg because you don't have Microsoft Access 2003), feel free to zip up the .mdb file and put it somewhere I can look at it, and I will TELL you where it thinks all your files are.

Hope this helps

Stephen

There are multiple backups of the SS database, so the result of doing the following is probably not terminal.

You will find the database (and its many backups) at

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sony Corporation\SonicStage\Packages

The file is called MtData.mdb (the numbered ones are the backups).

Open it up and you will find out what you want to know if you open the "t_object" table. Look in Column 203, I think. The file name of each song is there, including path.

This should enable you to diagnose your problem. If you can't do that (eg because you don't have Microsoft Access 2003), feel free to zip up the .mdb file and put it somewhere I can look at it, and I will TELL you where it thinks all your files are.

Well, I cannot find the file you mention. When I click on My Computer and click on the C drive, I can get as far as the All Users folder. When I click on it, I don't see an "applications folder" (see #4). Also, I just noticed noticed something: I decided to "specify" where the missing files are. I picked a song and copied the file address where the file was and I noticed something odd...

F:\Seagate Backup\CHADSPC\C\Documents and Settings\chad\My Documents\My Music\Chad's CDS\Kingsmen\Revival Time\03-Guide My Feet

I don't know why SS would be poking around on the F drive...it is an Externan Drive (Seagate) that simply copies the My Documents folder at 10PM. And if I follow the path down thru the folders there is no matching cd in the Chad's CDS folder for the Kingsmen\Revival Time, but there is one on the G drive.

Well, I guess I will just have to go back thru the cds SS claims it can't find and put in the location via the "specify the location" for now. I am just wondering how all this happened. The only commonality is that all these cds are by the same artist and were imported on the same day.

Hope this helps

Stephen

#4.rtf