SI: Four Sony Alpha DSLR Cameras Leaked Ahead Of August 24th Launch

Rate this question

Christopher

Question

newalpha-450x375.png

The Sony rumor mill has been buzzing over four new Sony Alpha DSLR cameras (A33, A55, A560 and A580) set to launch on August 24th. The leaked specifications, which appear to be highly credible, indicate that all of these cameras will be the first DSLR’s from Sony that offer 1080i AVCHD video recording. Several models will also have built-in GPS technology so you can geo-tag your photos and videos.

According to Sony Alpha Rumors, the A33 and A55 will have translucent mirror technology (aka pellix), which means that there is no moveable mirror. With the new system, the A33 and A55 are much more compact in design and weigh about 25% less than the Sony A550, with an overall 20% reduction in size. Aside from aesthetics, translucent mirror technology enables the A33/A55 to take a picture in less than a tenth of a second and doesn’t “blackout” after a picture is taken, meaning a full-time live view. There also isn’t the familiar “clap” sound you hear when you take a picture with most other DSLR’s.

Let’s take a look at the new models (majority of this information comes from various posts at Sony Alpha Rumors):

sony-a33.jpg

The A33 ($649 for body, $749 with 18-55mm lens) will have a 14 megapixel sensor with an ISO range of 100-12800. It will have a 1.44 million dot EVF and has 15 AF points (some cross-point). We’re seeing here that it can shoot up to 7fps. With the Multi Frame NR function the ISO apparently can go up to 25600 ISO, and the Auto ISO range maxes out at 1600. As mentioned before, the A33 can also shoot in 1080i (60i) AVCHD video. This model will also be compatible with MemoryStick Duo and Compact Flash memory cards like past Alpha DSLR cameras. The A33 apparently will use the same batteries used in the NEX-3/NEX-5.

1f3fce86d662477f9a73f4ed056f4c5d.jpg

The A55 ($749 for body, $849 with 18-55mm lens) is a step up from the A33 with a 16 megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor with an ISO range of 100-12800. It is one of the first Sony Alpha DSLR’s to have GPS built-in to the camera to geo-tag photos and videos. It will have a 1.44 million dot EVF and has 15 AF points (some cross-point). We’re seeing here that it can shoot up to 10fps. With the Multi Frame NR function the ISO apparently can go up to 25600 ISO, and the Auto ISO range maxes out at 1600. As mentioned before, the A33 can also shoot in 1080i (60i) AVCHD video. This model will also be compatible with MemoryStick Duo and Compact Flash memory cards like past Alpha DSLR cameras. The A55 apparently will use the same batteries used in the NEX-3/NEX-5. Sony Alpha Rumors has some further specification rumors for the A55.

sonya560.jpg

The A560 is more or less a traditional DSLR, and does not feature the translucent (pellix) sensor found in the A33/A55. It has a 14 megapixel sensor with an ISO range of 100-12800. It shoots 1080i (60i) AVC HD video. The A560 has 15 AF points (some cross-point) and will probably shoot around 5-7 fps. We also have read that it will have a swivel display on the back for enhanced usability. This model will also be compatible with MemoryStick Duo and Compact Flash memory cards like past Alpha DSLR cameras.

sonya580.png

The A580 is more or less a traditional DSLR, and does not feature the translucent (pellix) sensor found in the A33/A55. It has a 16 megapixel sensor with an ISO range of 100-12800. It shoots 1080i (60i) AVC HD video. The A560 has 15 AF points (some cross-point) and will probably shoot around 10 fps. We also have read that it will have a swivel display on the back for enhanced usability and built-in GPS for geo-tagging your photos and videos. This model will also be compatible with MemoryStick Duo and Compact Flash memory cards like past Alpha DSLR cameras.

View the full article

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet