Wish list for next NW-A1000/3000 Firmware

Rate this question

Daryl Rowland

Question

This latest firmware is definitely a huge improvement - loving the speed of access improvements - no more waiting for that damn disc to spin!

But... there's still room for improvement, so I figure if Sony read these forums it might be a good idea for us to list the kinds of features we'd like to see in the next firmware version.

My main feature 'wishes' are:

- A "bass boost" option - most players seem to have this, and it would be really cool

- Cross fading between tracks - this will probably never happen but would make the player quite distinct from iPods and would be a really neat feature

- More preset sound modes

- An "Add to now playing" option, so if you're listening to tracks you can add a track to the now playing list and it will get played

- It would be really neat if the sound setting would change depending on the genre of the track being played, i.e. Indie tracks would automatically play with an Indie sound/eq setting, and Dance tracks would play with a Dance eq/setting

Anyway, they're just my feelings. What's everyone else want?

Hi folks,

I own a nw-a1200b. I've used to own mz-n707 and mz-nh900 MiniDisc players.

I bought an ipoo nano the other day (yes I know, but I could get it for 20€ so I thought it would be nice to play with) and I clearly notice the BIG difference in soundquality between them two.

since I like my nw-a1200 really good, I would like to see more sound-related upgrades in future FW.

like that good old VPT acoustic engine that my mz-nh900 had.

Or something like bass-boost or clearbass like mentioned before.

What about the EQ. You can adjust it, but the jumps you can take are so big... I'd like a more detailled EQ (6-band would be even better).

btw: am I the only one around here that loved VPT?

hope sony's reading this :)

greetz

Edited by DSP

I dont think the acoustic have something to do with software. It is much hardware related. Unless Sony use the same hardware system like sound chips etc, it is impossible to deliver the same quality that md has.

But i dont know exactly what inside HDD player from Sony. Even though the hardware is capable, still there is no guarantee if sony engineers willing to enhanced that.

We just can hope that their marketing department willing to prolonged A series life cycle so there is still hardware and software support floating around....

I think the nw-a series sounds very good compared to MD.

My nw-a1200 sounded overall equally to my MZ-NH900.

sorry, I didn't knew that VPT was hardware related, my fault.

It was just my little wishlist :P I liked VPT and MegaBass, love to see MegaBass on sony DAP..

but I'm very happy with sony's daps soundquality. I always had MD/HI-MD because of it's soundquality, and hate Ipod for it. I swore by MD. But the nw-axxxx series were the first 'MP3 players' ( can't really say DAP 'cause MD is DAP too) that sounded good to me. Comparable with MD.

for me, the ultimate thing sony could put into a DAP would be HD digital amp. But have to say, even without that, NW-a1200 still sounds very clear!

greetz

but I'm very happy with sony's daps soundquality. I always had MD/HI-MD because of it's soundquality, and hate Ipod for it. I swore by MD. But the nw-axxxx series were the first 'MP3 players' ( can't really say DAP 'cause MD is DAP too) that sounded good to me. Comparable with MD.

The current iPods have very impressive sound quality. Given the same mp3 files (encoded variable rate at 192 kbps with LAME), the sound quality of the 5G 80GB iPod blows my HD3 and other ATRAC equiipment away. I was very surprised since the one thing that iPod got knocked for was sound quality. It sounds fantastic through headphones and really shines via the line out. My HD3 sounds great, but the iPod sounds better - fuller and richer sound.

Perhaps the iPod Nanos don't have as high quality audio electronic components as the full size models. Or perhaps your Nano is of an older genration.

I loved my ATRAC equipment, but when iPod came out with gapless playback, I just had to try one out. I was very skeptical, but I'm sold on it. If you read earlier in this thread, you'll find my wish list for Sony. All but the FLAC feature and user replacable battery is present on the iPod. And if FLAC is really important, there is alway the RockBox option.

Sony better get their act together. The train has left the station and is going farther and farther into the horizon.

Edited by maggior

My brother bought one of the new ipod nanos a couple of days ago (as a replacement for the NW-A608 which we returned in march because it had a defective battery).

After playing the exact same files with the exact same earphones, it is obvious that the sound quality of the ipod is absolutely HORRIBLE. It is like listening to something very very cheap: there is NO detail in the sound at all, let alone any bass. The difference when you put on one of the preset equalizers is very minimal, and nothing can make it come CLOSE to an NW-E407 or my old sony discman.

My brother bought one of the new ipod nanos a couple of days ago (as a replacement for the NW-A608 which we returned in march because it had a defective battery).

After playing the exact same files with the exact same earphones, it is obvious that the sound quality of the ipod is absolutely HORRIBLE. It is like listening to something very very cheap: there is NO detail in the sound at all, let alone any bass. The difference when you put on one of the preset equalizers is very minimal, and nothing can make it come CLOSE to an NW-E407 or my old sony discman.

If you like NW-E407, try NW-A1000/3000 or NW-S706F. Sony further enhanced sound quality on these.

In fact, the sound quality seems to be the reason for buying Walkman. So I hope Sony will continue to push in terms of sound quality; and of course not leaving behind in any other areas.

Anyway, the possible wish list could be... a additional function to read lyrics on NW-A1000/3000 like someone mentioned before.

Edited by Zizone

Ascariss, you're the luckiest Sony user around. Everything seems to work fine for you. No way transfer of Atrac files is as fast for me as an MP3 is for you. Using SonicStage CP, sending 1GB to the player takes like one full hour, if not more. Connect Player is faster, but not much. Both take a long time just preparing the files, and do it in a way that makes you wonder if it hadn't crashed.

As for the hold button, I wished it was just a switch that didn't depend on the player being on.

i also would have the hold button be enabled with unit off im sure some firmware could definatley change the function of the hold button. i figure i lose at least 40% battery due to accidentally switching the unit on all the time in my pocket. also the artist section in music library should play the artists songs and then continue to/or have option to play on whatever else you were listening to. the 'recen transfers' should allow you to access the song and play as if you searched the 'all songs' section of library