SI: Michael’s First Official Single: “Hold My Hand” Featuring Akon

Rate this topic

Christopher

mj-art-e1289813187642-450x450.jpg

The first offical single from Michael Jackson’s upcoming Michael album was released today. The song, entitled “Hold My Hand” (recorded in 2007), is a duet with Akon. A handwritten note from Michael belonging to his Estate indicated his desire that “Hold My Hand” be the first single on his next project. However, in its unfinished state, the song leaked out in July 2008. Before the release, Akon stated that the final version would have more of Jackson’s vocals.

MTV.com has a very astute description of the song:

Unlike “Breaking News,” the beat-heavy anti-media screed that was streamed on the MJ site last week, the uplifting “Hold My Hand” is one of Jackson’s classic love ballads, a heart-stirring call to unity with a touch of a Caribbean lilt.

“This life don’t last forever,” Jackson sings in the opening lines in his signature quavering falsetto. “So tell me what we’re waiting for/ We’re better off being together/ Than being miserable alone.”

Then together, the men sing, ” ‘Cause I been there before and you’ve bee there before/ But together we can be all right/ ‘Cause when it gets dark and when it gets cold we hold each other till we see the sunlight.”

As the three-and-a-half-minute single comes to a close, the strings swell and a gospel choir comes in, clapping hands and giving the tune a majestic feel.

You can listen to the song in this official YouTube video for “

The Michael album is set for release on December 14, 2010 in the United States.

View the full article