To WAV Or Not To WAV...

Rate this topic

ok, so yesterday I posted (I thought) about a problem that I ran into while converting files in the WAV format, but it seems I goofed somewhere cause I don't see it anywhere. So here it is again:

Some months ago I found an Ipod Touch buried in the couch. No one claimed it so I gave to my son who has Down's Syndrome. He can navigate the icons and play what he wants. With some music he wants I have copied the cds to the Library. Since I don't want to drive to wharehouse to get them (I don't keep either my cd or comic collection at home...too big)I began copying the cds using the SS program. I learned that if I use said SS to convert the songs to a WAV, I can then import them to the Ipod and he can play them.

SO far, that method has worked great...until now. I went to covert two songs off one cd in the Library. One converted fine and I was able to load it onto the Ipod. The other gives me this message (see attachment):

What's going on here?

Message.rtf

SCMS on the (original) disk?

Bluecrab knows the details of this. Bruce?

PS if you care at all about SQ, you would IMHO be much better ripping to AAL first then converting to WAV from there (I checked just now, this works). This gets a nice slow audio extraction as opposed to using ripping CD direct to WAV which gives fast extraction (and poor results).

SCMS on the (original) disk?

Bluecrab knows the details of this. Bruce?

PS if you care at all about SQ, you would IMHO be much better ripping to AAL first then converting to WAV from there (I checked just now, this works). This gets a nice slow audio extraction as opposed to using ripping CD direct to WAV which gives fast extraction (and poor results).

Huh...ok. Well, I don't rip from the disc itself. I import the cd to the Library and select a song and convert it to a WAV from that point. What is puzzling me is that on this disc, there is just one song giving me this message...all 9 others covert fine.

Huh...ok. Well, I don't rip from the disc itself. I import the cd to the Library and select a song and convert it to a WAV from that point. What is puzzling me is that on this disc, there is just one song giving me this message...all 9 others covert fine.

I don't quite understand what you are doing. At what bit rate to you import the CD? If you choose WAV quality (1411) you will run into the problem I am thinking of.

But it may well be that this track is special.

Have you tried deleting it from the SS library (and NOT deleting the music file from the computer), then using F(ile menu and simply RE_IMPORTING it??

If that fails, then it's different on the disk. What was the disk? Something commercial or a CD you made yourself?

If it works, I have seen this many times, and there is no rhyme or reason to it. Be happy, as now you are in business.

But I still think you don't want to rip to WAV or PCM quality directly.

Cheers

Stephen

When I have a music file on my hard drive that SS won't recognize for certain operations, (even thopugh it's in the SS Library), I first delete the file from the SS library but, not from the hard drive, as suggested above. Then, from it's folder on my hard drive, I play the music file, choosing SS as the player. It seems that once SS had played a file, it consideres it part of it's family or some such regardless of where it originally came from. Then you can import that file back into the SS library with no restrictions, at least such had been my experience.

Basically what Stephen suggests above but, before re-importing, play the file using SS as the player.

p.s. You don't have to play the whole song.

-ja

When I have a music file on my hard drive that SS won't recognize for certain operations, (even thopugh it's in the SS Library), I first delete the file from the SS library but, not from the hard drive, as suggested above. Then, from it's folder on my hard drive, I play the music file, choosing SS as the player. It seems that once SS had played a file, it consideres it part of it's family or some such regardless of where it originally came from. Then you can import that file back into the SS library with no restrictions, at least such had been my experience.

Basically what Stephen suggests above but, before re-importing, play the file using SS as the player.

p.s. You don't have to play the whole song.

-ja

Very interesting thanks. Sounds to me like cool stealth trickery to get round the quirks of Sonicstage! Might come in very handy if I ever need it.

I'm not quite sure what you think I am suggesting. I never ever suggested deleting the file from Windows.

Also something curious happens when you "update" a file that was previously playing in SS. Try it, you'll see.

Ok, I see what you mean about my narrative. I should have written: .....'the same' as suggested above', as to say, delete the file link from the SS library but, not the Windows file on the computer's hard drive. Apologies for any confusion or misunderstanding.

Now, I 'm not exactly sure what you mean by "update a file". I will try it if you detail that procedure.

-ja

This is getting more and more involved - but it's the details in life that are fun :)

Replace a file (say foobar.OMA) that plays properly in SS with a DIFFERENT file of exactly the same name by

a. rename the old file

b. copy another OMA file in (eg one you made by using Sound Forge) and name it foobar.OMA

All without touching SonicStage.

Now try to play the file from where it shows in SonicStage. It should play, right? WRONG.

Stephen

PS I have noticed that MANY mp3 software players tend to write stuff to the file (sneaky, and a few other choice words like ill-designed spring to mind). I have a hunch this is what caused non-transfer behaviour, but I manage these days to avoid MP3's like the plague.

This is getting more and more involved - but it's the details in life that are fun :)

Replace a file (say foobar.OMA) that plays properly in SS with a DIFFERENT file of exactly the same name by

a. rename the old file

b. copy another OMA file in (eg one you made by using Sound Forge) and name it foobar.OMA

All without touching SonicStage.

Now try to play the file from where it shows in SonicStage. It should play, right? WRONG.

Stephen

PS I have noticed that MANY mp3 software players tend to write stuff to the file (sneaky, and a few other choice words like ill-designed spring to mind). I have a hunch this is what caused non-transfer behaviour, but I manage these days to avoid MP3's like the plague.

Huh...well, I can see there is little agreement on this but that ok...I have just learned that I have made a mistake, so maybe this will clarify:

In my OP, I stated something to the effect of that all the songs on the problematic disc had been converted to the WAV with no problem, except one or two. Well, that is dead wrong...I was referring to the wrong cd entriely. I just figured that out:

The disc I mentioned in the OP (and I checked my records) was burned from a music-downloading site that I had purchased some albums. I also have 4 other cds imported to SS that I burned from the same site. NONE of those tracks can be converted to the WAV. So the reason I guess is because of the service I purchased them from.

Ok, so I have located now the original cd I was having problems with. To sum, this is another problem (nothing to do with the OP) but I will just put in this thread since it has already been started. I have imported ALL tracks on this disc, execpt the last two. I have an attachement that shows the progress and the message. If you can't open it, I will post the steps here.

Huh...well, I can see there is little agreement on this but that ok...I have just learned that I have made a mistake, so maybe this will clarify:

In my OP, I stated something to the effect of that all the songs on the problematic disc had been converted to the WAV with no problem, except one or two. Well, that is dead wrong...I was referring to the wrong cd entriely. I just figured that out:

The disc I mentioned in the OP (and I checked my records) was burned from a music-downloading site that I had purchased some albums. I also have 4 other cds imported to SS that I burned from the same site. NONE of those tracks can be converted to the WAV. So the reason I guess is because of the service I purchased them from.

Ok, so I have located now the original cd I was having problems with. To sum, this is another problem (nothing to do with the OP) but I will just put in this thread since it has already been started. I have imported ALL tracks on this disc, execpt the last two. I have tried to post some screen shots, but for some reason I am unable to attach the file.

So the problem is when I try to import the last two tracks on the disc the message:

"An error has occured while importing the cd (00000415)"

Anybody have any ideas how to get around ths?

I'm sorry, I am now lost.

If you made CD's from SCMS they will be protected.

Try copying the CD with Nero. That tends to remove protection anyway.

No need to be lost: the disc I am trying to import is not a cd-r. It is a store-bought disc that I got some years ago. I have imported all tracks execpt the last two. When I try to import those two, I get the above-mentioned message.