NAC-HD1E GigaJuke

Rate this question

Andris Vasers

Question

Hello, has somebody tried to hack SONY NAC-HD1 250GB Gigajuke?

The one thing I changed, I expanded storage from 250GB to 1TB of storage.

1_S_NAC_HD1_01.jpg

1_S_NAC_HD1_02.jpg

fb46e4e1.JPG

7bc5bc38.JPG

Show next post below.

Expanding size of your Sony NAC-HD1 is pretty easy.

I'll be glad to help you considering NAC-HD1 and moving data partitions to larger hard disk, such as 3TB western digital sataIII drive, cause I have my own NAC-HD1E @ home I migrate all of my music to larger disk.

In Europe, sony provide NAC-HD1E model, without "ANY MUSIC" function, other functions are exact to Sony's NAC-HD1 Japanese model.

I wrote down things you need to expand NAC-HD1E/NAC-HD1 on larger disk:

1) Destination drive (1TB, 2TB, 3TB ... etc) I used WESTERN DIGITAL, 1TB, SATA, 7200RPM, 32MB cache, RE WD1002FBYS

2) SATA TO IDE CONVERTER BOARD (sony use old parallel ata controller and nowadays P-ATA is going to disappear completely, further disks are provided only on sata interface.

Show this link: http://www.cooldrive...toidecofor.html

N.B.!!! Remeber, that SATA does not need MASTER and SLAVE modes, theese modes can be selected on CONVERTER BOARD. As we know, system uses hard disk to boot, you need to set it as MASTER disk on CONVERTER, and CD-ROM - SLAVE

3) personal computer (PC) with P-ATA and S-ATA (sata) connectors and linux distribution Live CD, personally I used Fedora core 12 Live CD

4) Acronis Disk Director bootable CD

5) elementary knowledge of basic Linux/UNIX shell commands :)

Instructions (STEP BY STEP):

1) open GigaJuke Deck, disassemble hard disk and it's connectors from unit

2) connect both NAC-HD1 orginal P-ATA hard disk and the new one SATA hard disk drive on which you want to clone GigaJuke to PC

3) boot your computer with linux live and enter system console via terminal and with super-user rights

Type su at the command promt:

linux# su

Then we need device names with apropriate dev's

linux# ls /dev

then output shows /dev/hda1 /dev/sdb1 etc

on system properties under hard disk managment you can detect hard disk's system name.

For example, let's say the first drive (original drive from JukeBox) is called /dev/hda (ATA drive) and the destination /dev/sdb (new disk where all information is going to be copied sector by sector)

Linux/UNIX cames with utility called data dump, you can execute it by entering command dd with parameters.

dd utility can copy hard disk contents sector by sector.

to copy original disk contents (boot record, partitions - swap, ext3 fs)

you must type the command dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/sdb bs=65536

where:

dd - data dump utility,

if=/dev/hda - source or input drive (listed as hda under dev) ,

of=/dev/sdb destination or output drive (listed as sdb under dev) ,

bs = 65536 (64k) - block size (in bytes) typicaly used for harddrive standard block sizes. N.B.!!! do not increase bs size under 64k, it will lead to errors during sector syncronize, smaller values susch as bs=32768 (32k) also can be used, but it takes longer to copy a disk.

after copying the disk clone was completed. Only left one problem, after copying, there are only 250GB of allocated space on disk.

N.B.!!! Do not use Acronis True Image, it will corrupt swap partition size and need to do disk clone again.

Need to resize partition, it's done by Acronis Disk Doctor. You need to boot Acronis Disk Doctor CD and resize partition.

after resize boot again linux live cd and shell promt type command fsck fsck sdb and wait till check is complete.

Shut down computer and disconnect new hard disk and prepare to put it on GigaJuke Deck.

Putting new disk on GigaJuke

Assemble hard disk holder unit. Place The converter board on sata connector on hard disk, then wire connectors to converter board and connect PATA cable.

GigaJuke is ready

The you can fully assemble sony's deck unit. Turn the unit on and wait until it boots. I'll recommend that U have a backup copy of you music and reformat the new free space with format function on NAC-HD1, then restore again, because NAC-HD1 creates indexes for storage, and sometimes unit will be not happy to detect that unit has more storage than it was on previous format.

Believe, this may help

• Like 1

21 answers to this question

That's very interesting indeed, thank you.

Only last night I read a post stating that the Gigajukes run on Windows. Presumably there might be a way to do just the same thing in Windows, too, Andris.

Welcome to our forums. Sounds like we may want to sticky this one.

Stephen

That's very interesting indeed, thank you.

Only last night I read a post stating that the Gigajukes run on Windows. Presumably there might be a way to do just the same thing in Windows, too, Andris.

Welcome to our forums. Sounds like we may want to sticky this one.

Stephen

Can you send me this post?

Sony NAC-HD1E and NAC-HD1 system is based on SuperH or SH4 architecture - double precision floating point processor and uses linux sh4 distribution with Linux kernel v2.6. as operating system. We don't need windows, because cloning consist only of few Linux/UNIX commands to get this complete.

To get secure shell (SSH) working, I modified some files in ext3 filesystem, that was mounted on linux. Widows doesn't offer modifying Linux Unix filesystems, without loss of secure information after saving files. If you open ext3 mounted filesystem on windows, change file, then file attributes gets corrupt. Propably disk cloning can be done from windows machine, but not changes in linux filesystem. Easiest way is to use linux or unix system.

Next project I want to do, to get working GigaJuke's internal samba fileserver, to get windows access to files located on hard disk. After that the second thing I'm going to do, is to disassembe application code, to get app source, for further app development for this device and to expand features.

I work more than 8 years with unix systems like FreeBSD and write apps for unix. Also I have expierence in electronics for many years, building devices from circuits and making changes in circuits, testing it, etc.

I've noticed, that Sony has discontinued production of NAC-HD1 GigaJuke. I think, because, something has gone wrong with GigaJuke operating system updates or further development of their Tiger project (that's a name of application on which GigaJuke plays / organizes music, turns). Maybe they left a job for me to take reverse engineering? :D I have many music (thousands of mp3's on my computer, and also many audio cd's) but I prefer to listen loseless / original audio. ATRAC format also offers better sound quality that mp3.

Inside GigaJuke's unit I mentioned that digital audio signal processing components are very qualitative, case - alluminium finished, at the glance, great.

Just wondering if you have seen this or not, but its a site Sony hosts that has source code for many of their products. They have a page specifically for the NAC-HD1E, perhaps you will find it useful:

http://www.sony.net/...io/NAC-HD1.html

p.s. Thanks for the great post. Content like this reminds me why its worth keeping this place around.

No chance in hell that I would be able to do all that technical stuff by myself.

Will you be taking NAC-HD1E orders ? :lol:

I can take NAC-HD1E order, but the problem is, how can I get it to remade :)

I' ve found one solution, that I can prepare hdd and converter board with cables, install instructions and ship to you, after receiving payment via paypal. No need for original hdd, cause I' ve working configuration. Few things what you need to do are backup your music contents on USB external drive such as external HDD, disassemble NAC-HD1E unit, detach hdd, reiceive new hdd, attach and mount it with converter board and connect cables, wiring, then assemble main case, turn it on, then resotore backup from copy, thats all.

Pricing,

1TB costs approx. $75*

2TB costs approx $140*

3TB costs approx $250*

SATA 2 IDE (paralel ata) converter (verified) costs approx $40*

cables and connectors $4*

*pricing in Europe, Latvia

+ job (prepared hard disk with install instructions) + shipping

P.S. Remember that's an extra service.

Just wondering if you have seen this or not, but its a site Sony hosts that has source code for many of their products. They have a page specifically for the NAC-HD1E, perhaps you will find it useful:

http://www.sony.net/...io/NAC-HD1.html

p.s. Thanks for the great post. Content like this reminds me why its worth keeping this place around.

:)

Some time ago I've looked up this site, but this source code are from linux distribution. That page displays what kind of open source GNU (www.gnu.org) Linux standard libraries are used, it normaly that provider publish a list of third party and open source software that are used. In general, there's no source code for their Tiger application, because it's commercial their own and not open source.

Hi Newbie,

Thanks for sharing your experience on the HDD player. I am also interested buying one, but, unfortunately, this player is not available in Singapore where I live. Seem the play is only available in Europe and Japan.

Looks like I can only get one Japanese version in Japan. I do not know Japanese and it should be difficult to use.

I am wondering if the hardware of the English version and Japanese version are identical (except the words and the power voltage ranting).

I am wondering if I buy a Japanese version and put in a HDD in English version and the play can work flawlessly as an English version player or not.

My concern is that maybe the bios of the Japanese version and English version are also different.

I the English version software works in Japanese version hardware, I might need your service to setup software on an 1TB hdd ship ship to me the hdd.

Have a nice day!

Francis

You will have problems with Japan model as it is designed for 100V (not even 110V) operation. I guess from looking on the web that you have same power as Europe and Australia, namely 230V.

I have 2 general comments:

1. Try Ebay UK (this may require the cooperation of the vendor and/or someone living in the UK to help you)

2. Consider making your own HTPC (computer stores may be willing to make one for you) with the right specs. I have Windows XP, 500GB disk, Ethernet, HDMI (and in the alternative TOSlink) out, the usual USB ports, and a TV capable of 1920x1080 connected on one or both of the VGA or HDMI ports. I would say the major problem with this setup is the noise of the fan, so you have to solve that somehow. Probably you can get it working with Windows 7 but the problem of 64-bit operation for some software may be more trouble than it is worth, especially if you can get XP installed.

Building your own HTPC is a good idea, but do not neglect the sound card, that is the key component, that will make the sound quality difference. Since the recent release of their latest sound card, the SE-300PCI, the SE-200PCI LTD & previous ones have come down in price.

Case-wise, to match the NAC-HD1 concept, a number of case manufacturers have models with integrated screen, touch or not, for a more discrete integration in the living room than an actual TV as monitor.

Fan-wise, Noctua or Zalman usually have the most efficient products in terms of silence. If the case is large enough, a fan-less PSU can be considered, otherwise most Corsair or Seasonic PSU's will do.

Hello, once a time ago I wanted to make a PC for home audio. Many companies offers PC cases as Hi-Fi "deck-style" design such as Zalman, but they all are very noisy. Cause my life is connected with computers, it's not a big problem to do it by myself - costruct PC device with windows or other OS. Cause I already have many hi-fi components, I choosed to buy brand-new gigajuke deck. Just, I wanted to simplify my life and the way to listening music without computer. Gigajuke has x-dj which offers music recognition based on 12 tone analysis. Apple iphone also has a software for music recognition, but Gigajuke X-dj works better in recognition. It's so wow, to turn off Gigajuke, and it selects music for morning, evening, night, etc. There are also other manual styles available for selection. Gigajuke also has great case, aluminum finished front panel, looks very good, and capable to connect to TV via composite video output (RCA - also called "banana connector").

I wrote some:

Advantages:

*unique device, design, very sound quality (if PCM mode), it plays all formats as they are exactly (their quality)

*color LCD display

*FM/AM radio, it's possible to write all broadcasts in exact sound quality (in PCM mode, PCM mode is also known as WAVE "WAV" format used in windows).

*DTS DSP processor inside, formerly used for mp3 decoding, offers qreat encode/decode possibilities, very good electronics inside, one of the main rules for great sound quality.

*small mainboard, less power consumption

*digital signal inputs/outputs

*analog inputs/outputs, offers to directly write from analog devices.

*audio material editing, despite of Gigajuke's freeze, it offers audio dividing, editing mp3 ID tags

*Gracenote DB, offers cd recognition, if connected to internet. If your CD or your home made audio cd hasn't been recognized, you can update Gracenote's database by submitting your cd with roxio media creator, winamp, etc. (software that supports gracenote database). Then your home made audio cd can be recognized also from other Gracenote devices or PC audio players.

*file import from windows shared folder, you can make folder and share them in your home local area network, then upload files via import function. (i suggest edit mp3 id3 tags before putting them on shared folder)

*x-dj function, the main feature of this device, system recognizes music for autonomous playing by choosing playing mode.

*can upload album image in jpg or gif formats, not tested on bitmap and tiff files.

*option to choose recording format and bitrate (mp3/AAC/ATRAC and appropriate bitrates)

*option to copy audio on USB device (flash, hdd) for playing on other device, but they are only in compressed audio format, if you record PCM, on export system asks to choose bitrate.

*option to back up all of your audio using network or external usb hdd/flash device.

*composite video-out for displaying menu on larger screen.

*sleep-timer, offers to set-up when to turn off device

*silent when operating

*access to DLNA, can set up many internet radios on your PC's DLNA server, for example, Tversity DLNA Media server, also can browse and listen music located on PC/Laptop through the LAN/wireless network.

Disadvantages:

*no further software updates, cause product discontinued (now I'm working on some enhancements by myself)

*no text search function for artist/album, just only with navigation buttons, but if you have hundreds and thousands music files, it takes a lot of time if you use standard playing mode with file browsing.

*no support for FLAC, APE, AMIGA etc. audio formats

*sometimes freezes on album/artist selection, gigajuke turns on small CPU based on SH4 embedded architecture and has only 64MB of RAM and CPU clock is 300MHz, it seems that something goes wrong with freeing memory and then memory leak occurs. System turns on SH4 Linux.

*if configured to turn off in full stand-by mode, then after turning on and booting sometimes system informs about it's instability and Gigajuke restarts, only quick-start power mode works without problems, in my opinion there's also problem in freeing unused memory cause Gigajuke uses Linux

*no option to import pre-recorded mp3 from CD (simple written CD with mp3's), can't recognize Sony's their own ATRAC-CD discs, reads ONLY standard AUDIO-CD's, but they can be recorded also on CD matrix.

*no option to write your mp3/ATRAC collection back to CD, Gigajuke's CD is only ROM drive and doesn't provide burning to CD-R/RW function, it only reads CD-ROM supported discs, of course you can change CD-ROM drive to DVD-ROM to support reading mp3 discs (as I told, mp3 discs Gigajuke only reads and plays mp3 discs but import to library is not possible).

*slow-library text edit, better do it on your computer with good mp3 tag editor (roxio media creator offers very good mp3 tag editor, has option to retrieve all information for song name artists and album), then import via shared folder on your home network via LAN cable or wirless (if have) or USB stick.

*on display spectrum analyzer freezes, delaying dynamics

*hard disc originally can came with larger space, default 250GB, on production year - 2007 there was also greater (500GB-1TB) discs available (look at my instructions above)

*can store only 20 FM and 10 AM radio stations

You're are more technical than me I have the older model nas-s55hde and was wondering if the 80gb hdd stopped working would the unit be useless. 

I decided to open it and disconnect the hdd and sure enough it won't boot just restarts constantly. 

I tried cloning the hdd with clonezilla but it failed on 2 Dev folders, I tried different drives then decided to format the original hdd connected to the unit and then cloned it to a solid state and it worked. 

Do you guys still use yours or have you moved on? 

On 5/17/2017 at 3:55 PM, John Cummings said:

You're are more technical than me I have the older model nas-s55hde and was wondering if the 80gb hdd stopped working would the unit be useless. 

I decided to open it and disconnect the hdd and sure enough it won't boot just restarts constantly. 

I tried cloning the hdd with clonezilla but it failed on 2 Dev folders, I tried different drives then decided to format the original hdd connected to the unit and then cloned it to a solid state and it worked. 

Hi, I don't suppose you kept a copy of your basic/empty NAS-S55HDE image did you? Could it be made available on GoogleDrive or Mega? Yours hopefully!

On 5/17/2017 at 3:55 PM, John Cummings said:

Hey, sorry to reboot this old thread but I've been trying to work with an S55HDE and currently am dealing with a boot looping problem. Is that because of the HDD then from your experience? 

I was going to try to upgrade it to an SSD or simply swap out the HDD but it's almost impossible to find an image for the system software anywhere. Could you give some advice perhaps?

Thanks!